Captain
# 1 Stabase 74
12-20-2012, 07:15 AM
What ever happened to Starbase 74? It looks like Earth Spacedock but 3 times larger.
Career Officer
# 2
12-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexindcobra View Post
What ever happened to Starbase 74? It looks like Earth Spacedock but 3 times larger.
You may need to elaborate on this one, as not entirely sure of what it is you are asking.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
# 3
12-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
You may need to elaborate on this one, as not entirely sure of what it is you are asking.
Look up Stabase 74 on Memory Alpha website. The USS Enterprise D had docked there a couple of times in TNG. It looks just like Earth Spacedock but it is 3 times larger and is the largest recorded Starbase in Star Trek.

Last edited by alexindcobra; 12-22-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Captain
# 4
12-22-2012, 04:10 AM
thats simply because the enterpirse D sequence aproaching starbase 74 was a copy of the enterprise A flying towards earth space dock...thats why the scaling is completely off.

so it is just a glitch that resulted from this footage.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starbase_74

the way around this scaling issue was simply by saying the doors had different scale.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Spacedock_type

i personally find it incredibly stupid in STO to see this hugely overscaled starbases...in the shows, the starbases were most of the time, even smaller than a galaxy class, but had sub sections like telescopes, hangars attached, or were surrounded by fleet docks...

in sto the bases (all bases, from K7 to DS9) are hugely oversized and where the hell is this design?
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 12-22-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Lieutenant
# 5
12-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Quote:
What ever happened to Starbase 74?
If you look at the location graphic on the Memory Alpha page (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starbase_74) you see Earth Spacedock in the bottom right of the screen. OK, it actually says Sol & Starfleet Command. So I think that would put it somewhere "left" of the Alpha Centauri block over near where the Xinid & Ferengi Alliance should be.

Last edited by aliendejour; 12-22-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: It's a secret. :)
Captain
# 6
12-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Quote:
What ever happened to Starbase 74?
What do you mean, what happened to it? It's not in the game.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Rihannsu
# 7
12-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Actually... rewatch Star Trek 3. The current version of ESD in the game is very heavily based on what you see in that movie. Including the gigantic hatch that you can fly a full size starship through.

Starbase 74 was a similar starbase located relatively close to Earth. But yeah, not in the game...

To me, it's a matter of what the base is used for. There are the Ginormous bases where the Federation does fleet operations, such as SB74 and ESD. Then we have the Argus Array. My personal estimates as to it's size are based on comparing it to the size of the Ent-D. I'd say that each of the Hexagons in the array is approzimately as big as the Ent-D.

But the Federation also has a bunch of tiny outposts like the one in Amargosa. It's a tiny observatory with a crew of, IIRC, a crew of a dozen or so.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 8
12-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliendejour View Post
If you look at the location graphic on the Memory Alpha page (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starbase_74) you see Earth Spacedock in the bottom right of the screen. OK, it actually says Sol & Starfleet Command. So I think that would put it somewhere "left" of the Alpha Centauri block over near where the Xinid & Ferengi Alliance should be.
Maybe they will bring it along with season 8 because they are talking about opening that sector block in seasons 8 or 9.
Career Officer
# 9
12-22-2012, 11:30 PM
It's my opinion that Starbase 74 really is larger overall than Spacedock as seen in SFS. Not that the spacedock doorway is simply larger. In STO, it's implied by our largest starships being able to pull up to the door that Earth's smaller station may have been retired and replaced by a larger one during the later 24th century. So, IMO, Spacedock really is just like Starbase 74.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Rihannsu
# 10
12-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiameese View Post
It's my opinion that Starbase 74 really is larger overall than Spacedock as seen in SFS. Not that the spacedock doorway is simply larger. In STO, it's implied by our largest starships being able to pull up to the door that Earth's smaller station may have been retired and replaced by a larger one during the later 24th century. So, IMO, Spacedock really is just like Starbase 74.
I suspect that it is a standardized design for fleet operations bases.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.