Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
Throughout the history of mankind dates to the end of the world have been set. People seem to wait eagerly for that day to come, and are disappointed (or relieved) when it doesn't come. Even in the 20th and 21st centuries we continue this thing even though we are technologically advanced and have better knowledge of the world.

True there seems to be ancient knowledge that states that it will come. Nostrodamus (spelling?) seems to predict it. The Mayan calander ends at that date (but could be mistranslated and still says nothing about an ending). It's late evening now and nothing's happened yet. Not that I'm worried about it. After all, life's way too short to worry about something you have no control over. If it ends, it ends... and that's it.

So what makes people so obsessed with the end of the world? And what thoughts does everyone else have about it?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
12-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Some people just want to watch the world burn.......
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
12-21-2012, 01:00 PM
The Oracle at Delphi (who I trust a lot more than a bunch of Mayans) does not predict an end of the world

Ergo there isn't one
Captain
# 4
12-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Because peoples life have become so boring, that they have to imagine the world end, to add even a little content to their lives.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Lieutenant
# 5
12-21-2012, 01:11 PM
People are making way too much of this Mayan Calender thing... do they not realize that hundreds of years ago some poor shmuck was carving the thing into stone? The only reason the Mayan calender stops is the guy said to himself "I am several hundred years ahead on this thing and my arms are about to fall off... I quit!"
Vice Admiral Ross
and others too numerous to name...
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
12-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Why are people so obsessed with it? Because everyone needs THEIR generation to be special, to be important, to be the best generation.

We talk about how awful and stupid and silly old generations with their weird dark ages and Inquisitions were, and how much worse they were before that. Nevermind most of what we think about the dark ages never happened and much of what we believe about the Inquisition was invented later to make what was going on at that time look less despicable by comparison. Then we make up lies to belittle the generations that follow us - the youngest current adult generation in the Western world has the lowest rate of crime, drug use, or unwanted pregnancy of any generation since we've kept track, but ask anyone over 50 if they believe the same. Then ask that youngest generation what they think about their education compared to their elders.

Doomsday locks those lies forever. It saws the rungs off the ladder with you at the top, so no generation will ever surpass yours. And if there's a "worse" generation after yours, you get to blame them for bringing this on you.

Last edited by hevach; 12-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
12-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Actually the current young adults have the HIGHEST rate of crime of any in the last 100 years
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
12-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Not true, people under 30 are completely responsible for the decline in crime rates in that time. Crime rates people over 30 have been stable and over 60 have actually exploded.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
12-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Rot

The majority of Drug users are under 20
The majority of petty criminals are under 30 (or over 70 in some cases)
Plus of course there are countless minor crimes commited by the young (relationships under age for example)

Also look at all the youngsters who have extremely limited education
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
12-21-2012, 01:58 PM
http://crimeinamerica.net/crime-rates-united-states/

Read them over. Violent crime and sex crime rates in ages 10-24 are down 77% since 1994 alone, and 1994 was the first uptick after thirty consecutive years of decline. Even the sudden resurgence of youth violence in 2010-11 didn't managed to bring rates back to 10% of what they were in the 1950's, and that's not even corrected for the fact that things that were once considered acceptable youth behaviors (or at least were not considered illegal) are now violent/sex felonies. Petty crime rates are down even more.

You can have all the opinions you want, and all the "Oh just look at all the" NO. Your opinion is on one of the most statistically studied facts in the entire world, and it is wrong.

Even allowing the BoJ's unscientific surveys, the only age group showing increasing crime from generation to generation is those over 50, and their 180% per year increase in unreported violent crime by seniors is questionable at best.

Last edited by hevach; 12-21-2012 at 02:02 PM.