Career Officer
# 221
01-06-2013, 04:11 AM
lazyness...
Commander
# 222
01-06-2013, 08:22 AM
I understand the PvE angle and emphasizing how easy these make an already largely brainless exercise. That being said, if the Devs don't mind marginalizing their PvE endgame and allowing a single mechanics to bypass objectives more quickly than expected then fine. Anyone who has played against these things know how difficult it is to target them, that AoE weapons don't hit them when they are cloaked, that other mechanics can stack and make them virtually invisible, that they are shielded by NPCs, that you can be completely disabled with no defensive options and that, in spite of what some folks suggest, it isn't that hard to use effectively.

Seriously, months ago I got popped a few times in a cap and hold. I went to ESD, loaded a couple of blue mk x tric mines with a single dispersal pattern beta and the next match was so full of laughs until they turned into frustrated tears. You know what I did? I saw a b'rel, loaded DP:Beta and flew in a little circle. They couldn't see it when it activated and they died gloriously. Repeatedly. Even whdn thry got wise all I had to do was fly at my own mines and slow down.

Long story short, spare me the nonsense about how significant the opportunity cost is or what incredible planning goes into dropping a couple of mines that will very likely chain crit a target (or 3, yes, 3) in one shot.

That being said, before things get too out of hand I'll just spin this old broken record one more time. Make Tric mines dangerous to the person deploying them. Other mines and heavy torps damage a user who gets too close so these should too. Pets that drop the should be effected by them as with the carrier that deployed the pets. I'm not saying that the user should trigger the explosion but if they are in range they should feel it just as the target. Make them risky like Tric Torps used to be. And when possible, see if the software team can work on chain crits or the potential issue with mines from the same Dispersal Pattern detonating one another.

This doesn't have to be a total rework or nerf if we can create an actual opportunity cost and add some risk.
Lt. Commander
# 223
01-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoney3448 View Post
I loved my build and i made it specificly for STFs though i never bothered to fully max all the dmg out on it as 1mill in a pass i think does the job. STF wise it honestly needs to be left alone for the most part. In KAE it allowed me to take low dps groups and still get the optional. People could then play the ships they wanted low dmg or other wise without getting gipped for cryptics poor idea of gameplay.

I could take 3 cubes, 12 generators, 3 transformers, while 3 guys killed 1 cube 4 genrators 1 transformer and probes, leaving last guy to get probes on other side. Then i could fly back blow 30-50% off the gate in a pass and continue on from there.
Thanks for providing a great example of how very broken they are in PvE, which is after all the reason they are being fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehale View Post
That being said, before things get too out of hand I'll just spin this old broken record one more time. Make Tric mines dangerous to the person deploying them. Other mines and heavy torps damage a user who gets too close so these should too. Pets that drop the should be effected by them as with the carrier that deployed the pets. I'm not saying that the user should trigger the explosion but if they are in range they should feel it just as the target. Make them risky like Tric Torps used to be. And when possible, see if the software team can work on chain crits or the potential issue with mines from the same Dispersal Pattern detonating one another.
I've suggested this before as well. While its not a perfect fix, it would make things consistent with how other high damage projectiles are treated and force the tric bombers to actually employ some of this supposed "strategy" they always go on about to not get caught up in their own mines.
# 224 reply
01-06-2013, 12:06 PM
poster:
I will refer you to a star trek movie called first contact watch it then tell me how much torps cannons beams ect it took to kill one regular cube. Now tell me more on why you need to be able to one shot one?

response:
In first contact they used photons and quantium torpedoes, (along with cannons and arrays) to destroy the cube, so the game still seems to mimic what it takes to drop a cube to what was in the movie

As of to the second part, I dont think anyone "needs to be able to one shot" a cube, however it is nice that this game allows for CRITS (a random chance) to do a incredable amount of damage in one (or multiple) hits

final thought:
I again, have been the target of Trics alot,

in many, many pvp matchs, and there is a solid difference between those that toss one on the back of thier ship, unsupported by consoles, boff abilities, and skill points

and those that specialize in the use of the weapon (no different than cannons)

as in to say, it still is a bit of luck with the hit/hits to destroy a ship out right that is at full capacity and fully buffed, (again no different than cannons vs tactical team and reverse shield polarity) with the added luck of the attacker having the advantage that the defender is not minding their surroundings (what many do not want to admit as pilot error)

Other post:
One posted something to the tune of "well then all the top/best fleets will start spawn camping with trics and that will make everyone cry" or something similar to that probly planning to spam AMS
(note: AMS has caused greif before in the past and yes a group spamming it will probly win vs a pug group, just as they have using cannons to kill, or pets, or many other tactics that have been used with massive amounts of AMS and scramble to win matchs)

response:
then go try and do it

I have already fought a full team of tric bombers before (and it was a close match but we still won against them) so I dont feel that its "the win button" that many try to make it out to be, I would add that you WILL lose to mines if you dont watch each others back and target the mines BEFORE impacts, (it was a very exciting Teamspeak match as we were all yelling out where mines were and shouting out whos targeting them)

as with everything else in this game, when the gear is min/maxed there will always be teams of inexperienced pugs that will get destroyed by them, and those inexperienced pug memebers may choose to complain, (no different than anything else in the past or probably in the future)

I find that most of those complaints are rooted in frustration of poor team play or not have a solid tactic/boff abilities to combat the stuff being thrown at them

some of these very same players will even WIN the match, but due to the fact that they DIED once or twice in the match still causes them to follow up the match with trash talk and raging on channels like opvp (as in, these very same player's egos cant handle the mistakes they did in the match or accept the pug team they randomly got)

In the end, I think that will be the source of the bulk of the complaints, (as it already has been for years)
Career Officer
# 225
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
They also need to fix the ability to one-shot a cube by simply absorbing a plasma torpedo at close range.
Lieutenant
# 226
01-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Tric mines are so easy to kill someone. Instant kills often enough. Drop plasma, drop mind..watch him die..its really easy...i would suspect that if everyone does it..there is no way to counter..thats my only issue
Career Officer
# 227
01-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Yep, and if you really want to be a ****, use AMS on him too.
Empire Veteran
# 228
01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomicile View Post
They also need to fix the ability to one-shot a cube by simply absorbing a plasma torpedo at close range.
aww, but thats lulz, outside of an stf. i would support heavy projectiles not damaging their user.

/gently caresses HY omega
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Commander
# 229
01-06-2013, 01:42 PM
I don't get why there's PvE'ers posting in a PvP feedback forum when they don't even PvP.

This isn't feedback Borticus. This is spam.

This post here by me, was previously discussed as a suggestion for you folks a while ago on a different thread.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=37

That thread did not have an enormous flood of PvE'ers trying to justify the extreme spike damage Tricobalt Mines with dispersal patterns are capable of delivering.

The PvPers who have been consistent on this thread, can perhaps use that post mentioned above to enforce a feedback logically applicable to Borticus and the Devs to work off of.
Captain
# 230
01-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxottoman View Post
I don't get why there's PvE'ers posting in a PvP feedback forum when they don't even PvP.
Because a systematic change to multiple mechanics in the game won't have any effect on non-PvP players right?