Career Officer
# 231
01-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Because a systematic change to multiple mechanics in the game won't have any effect on non-PvP players right?
Not in any unreasonable way.

You really shouldn't be able to faceroll PvE content more than you do already.

Tric mines will still pack a punch even with the nerf. Just learn to debuff targets and use 'em. You will still deal a lot of damage, only now they will be less stupid in PvP. They're so stupidly overpowered right now that you need an Intrepid w/ Ablative Armor enabled, PH, HE activated just to survive one Tric from a DPB pattern release. And you still die to the other mines anyway after your armor is stunned off.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Empire Veteran
# 232
01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
I was under the impression that the core problem of (Tricobalt) mines was the phenomenon of "linked crits", i.e. if one mine of a dispersal pattern crits, they all crit.

Does this behaviour still exist?
So instead of fixing the problem ... they work around it with nerfs?

... if so ... ::: klingon facepalm ...

A HUGE thank you to Cryptic for the Mogh-class battle cruiser!
Captain
# 233
01-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genhauk View Post
So instead of fixing the problem ... they work around it with nerfs?

... if so ... ::: klingon facepalm ...
Well that is only if the behaviour is considered to not be working as intended.

Frankly the Current devs have a long history of ignoring what devs have done in the past seemingly quite on purpose. (I am assuming this has to do with terrible note keeping by previous staff... still... sometimes they need to really think through why things work the way they do) I am sure the origional engine developers made the choice to link critical calcs on over time dmg to reduce server load.

In Some other MMOs... DOT dmg / over time or Condition dmg or what ever we want to call it is removed completely from the critical hit mechanics... meaning things like mines in those games would simply never have the possibility of critical hits... the weapons and skills that do that type of dmg can then more easily be balanced.... Not to mention the MASSIVE unloading of Server Calculations.

I will call it now... Bort will NOT be able to correct DOT dmg critical linking in the way people seem to think they can. Systems is going to tell him NO way man... the server load calculating every single tick of every single possible dot is going to bring the server to its knees.

If Bort honestly wants to correct Ciritcal hit linking the easiest... Most commonly accepted MMO wide fix... is to remove Critical dmg from ALL mines... and ALL over time dmg skills... and then to preform a balance pass on every one of those skills... increasing there dmg to compensate. (in the case of tric mines even with out critical hits downard is still the proper balance direction) Problem corrected all around, and as a side bonus server calculations reduced in general. (slightly at this point... massively if they go ahead with delinking)

PS... as a side removing the critical hits from DOT/and over time weapons (mines)... means things like the Breen Cluster all of a sudden becomes a balanced weapons (crits from that thing are just as stupid as trics)
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.

Last edited by antoniosalieri; 01-06-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Career Officer
# 234
01-06-2013, 02:42 PM
You should not be able to solo a infected but these allow you to do so. These are hard to see in pvp to shoot because one they have the stealth bonus and two if they are not in front of you they show up on a very small tag on the edge of your screen with 84352984732687529 other things. If you need these to kill a cube or some other weak pve you might have to reevaluate your ability to play this game successfully.

If they take them down to tric torp damage level they will still be one of the best items to use vs pve you will just have to use 2 to 4 of them and not one and debuff/time skills and drop the shields to get the huge numbers off.

Bottom line get some skill, speck your ships correctly, and learn to read skills that will help you buff/debuff to do damage.
Ensign
# 235 Nooooooo!!
01-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Don't **** wit MY Mines! *****'S!
Captain
# 236
01-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathfromabove17 View Post
Don't **** wit MY Mines! *****'S!
Why? Scared you might fall if someone takes your crutches away?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
We actually really don't like A2B, but it's a bit of a "third rail" situation. When we have the right fix to it, someday, we'll probably possibly maybe make it.
Lieutenant
# 237
01-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Just my 2 Cents about it:

I am using them too and use a build dedicated to them. So imho yes they need some fix (crit chaining) but if this is not possible, other fixes may be needed.

BUT whatever it will be, please don't fix them in a way, that the mines + any builds about them are completly useless (and the ship, e.g. BoP Retrofit), wheter its PvP or PvE.
Captain
# 238
01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelkhas View Post
Just my 2 Cents about it:

I am using them too and use a build dedicated to them. So imho yes they need some fix (crit chaining) but if this is not possible, other fixes may be needed.

BUT whatever it will be, please don't fix them in a way, that the mines + any builds about them are completly useless (and the ship, e.g. BoP Retrofit), wheter its PvP or PvE.
You make more sense than any other Tric-user that has posted here. Kudos to you, sir. Kudos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
We actually really don't like A2B, but it's a bit of a "third rail" situation. When we have the right fix to it, someday, we'll probably possibly maybe make it.
Ensign
# 239
01-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonfl View Post
Why? Scared you might fall if someone takes your crutches away?
lol no, but thanks for the reply. Im Not much of a PvP'er and when I do I don't use Tric's. In all honesty they are OP and I know in PvP they ruin people's day. But all I see is the Cryptic Nerf Brigade .
Captain
# 240
01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Why the hell are people who don't (by their own admission) play PvP posting on a board explicitly titled "PvP Gameplay"?

Can you imagine the reaction if someone here jumped onto a PvE board and said something to the effect of, "I don't play STFs but here's my opinion, and the devs had better listen to me"...?

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples