DPB Tric Mines
Aceton Assimilators x2
Broken TIV Placate
JHAS w/ any or combination of any of above mentioned
These are all cheese and the current state of competative PvP. The community at large uses them so don't let anyone tell you in game or on the forums what you can and cannot use because they're just being self-serving, as they themselves most likely use any number of this junk.
Till Cryptic actually gives a crap about PvP, I say smoke 'em if you got 'em.
Honestly friend, use whatever the hell you feel like. No one has the right to stop you and there's no form of Internet police that'll kick your door down for using exploits or broken game mechanics in STO. As far as I know it's harder to get a reprimand from GMs than it is to get fired from SNL for being unfunny, so even if you load up on Embassy DOffs you're in safe hands anyway.
That said, please don't try and justify your decision by claiming that everyone uses them so your hand was forced. Some of us who refuse to touch the stuff don't appreciate baseless accusations.
This game is always going to have problems like this as long as the PvE and PvP rules are kept the same. PvE players will never get really good gear as long as that gear has to not upset the game balance of the PvP environment.
The real solution is to have different rule sets for PvE and PvP. I have an idear for a new Hardcore PvP mode which could help this problem by restricting what new equipment and skills are useable in PvP.
Everyone may hate it, but it would solve a lot of problems and stop the developers having to nerf every good new toy.
I think the same rules for both works fine and its peoples expectations of how things should work that often need the adjustment.
Some things are simply broken regardless of wether its for PvP or PvE.
The damage dealt by Tricobalt Mine Explosions have been reduced by 10% across-the-board.
The damage variance of Tricobalt Mine Explosions has been reduced from 20% to 5%.
This will lead to more predictable damage - fewer highs, fewer lows.
The stealth value on Tricobalt Mines has been reduced by approximately 25%.
Okay first question: Why is this being nerfed?
Obviously it was regarded as overpowered and had to be reduced. Because people abused it in PvP and PvE.
But the thing I don't understand is, in classic Cryptic fashion, you alter something and the changes become overpowered and you nerf again. So why don't you just go back to the previous version?
For example, before you allowed multiple Tricobalts to spawn when using Mine Patterns, it was a singular and powerful explosive. Then you changed it to be included with the Mine Patterns, and this happened, then forced to nerf it because people abused it. So why not just revert it to the previous version where it was a singular powerful explosive? That way people would go back to normally using Photon and Quantum mines?
Actually, with the reduced damage variance, we should see far less super-crits. That is a good thing.
When I was testing it on tribble, I didn't see as many Crits, this is true. But then again I was testing with only 1 Tric Mine.. No Cool down Doffs. And my mine was CrtDx3 I saw maybe 1 Super Crit vs a Borg Cube compared to Aproximately 15 or so Non Crits*.
*It's an approximation because I didn't actually keep count.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this: American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
here is another fool that does not READ OR TEST CRAP!!!! So read this i can solo a infected with trics i can insta kill a tac cube with trics through its shields. As far as FORCING people to play a faw spam escort or a cruser sci ship is redicleous because noobs like you need these op things to play a game.
Your defenses are **** "spam" lots of it happens in pvp hard to see the tric tag and single it out and if you do that that is all you are going to do that match is kill peoples tric spam. There are also things like scramble and ams what a thought now you cant even shoot the effing things. How about you get some skill and not make it so people have to fly a tric bomb faw cruser or a faw escort and you get some skill k thanks.
1) Oh i've tested the mines, not to my playstyle i'm afraid, the DPB3 isn't worth as much to me as the CRF3, or any attack pattern 3 skill. I don't use tric mines, so i don't need these "things to play a game"
2) I never said anything about forcing players into a "faw spam escort or a cruser sci ship" , and it isn't what i intended. These abillities are very useful, an escort (lets say defiant, i fly one), can out run these mines, if i get tractor, i can use FAW, Scatter Volley, Torp spread 3, Tractor beam repulsors (which also enable a very nice tactic of keeping your cannons on the target etc etc).
3) Tric mines have a shared cooldown of 30 seconds, activation time of 5 seconds, and depending on distance, 5 seconds. So within 30 seconds, you can get an area of effect off cooldown, and if you are watching your opponent, can time the skill correctly.
4) If you get hit by AMS/Scramble sensors etc, you can use Science team (useful if you are in a Sci, or good for tanks to clear subnukes) to get rid of the effect, for escorts, i suggest evasive, or attack pattern omega, or fulll power to engines, (you should be changing your power setting regularly in pvp to accomadate the situation).
5) I don't consider myself a noob... and I honestly hope, after reading all of that above, you'll realise i am not one. I don't call myself the best of the best, in fact I'm above average at best apparently.
Are you telling me that when the Defiant came up against the Breen Energy Dampening weapon Sisko and co stood back and started shouting OP and nerf please?
The only problem with these mines i can see are the link crits, they're not "working as intended".
I'm the guy that uses unconventional builds, and don't fall to the normal. I also don't believe in "No-BS" crap, it's in the game, it's ready to be used. Think Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge.
Last edited by blockbusters; 01-13-2013 at 04:46 PM.