Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 932
# 1 Star Trek Question #3
12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Why do you like/not like Insurrection? I'll start:

A little bit of me died when they put a joystick on the bridge of the Enterprise.

I was having trouble with the movie in general (seemed kind of lame to me) and then Riker activated the joystick. I decided then that this movie was dead to me.

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,775
# 2
12-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Cons:
- Data came across as a bit too 'to catch a predator' for my liking...

- Didn't like the reveal at the end that the Son'a were just Ba'ku who had gone rogue...

- Didn't like Riker reading that Ketracel White was a narcotic... Last I heard, it was essential for Jem'hadar survival...

Pros:
- I really liked Admiral Dougherty. Very misunderstood character, who was truly working with the best interests of the Federation at his heart. Absolutely no selfishness on his part at all.

- I liked Worf's line about not being familiar with Gilbert and Sullivan

- I liked Worf's canon (isomagnetic something or other...)

- Picard's leather jacket is something I need for my wardrobe...

- Kell Perim is one heck of a Bridge Bunny :wub:
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,986
# 3
12-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
A little bit of me died when they put a joystick on the bridge of the Enterprise.
But it provided for endless Riker's Joystick jokes.

Anyway...

Likes:
-Humor. Much better humor than in Nemesis.
-Not a doom and gloom story.
-Examined a modern issue through a Star Trek lens, in this case forced relocation of a small population to satisfy the needs of a larger one.
-Actors having a lot more fun than in Nemesis.
-F. Murray Abraham
-Good space battles
-Picard gets to run and gun
-Riker gets to fly, literally
-Daniels becomes a recurring character. I imagine him as the regular tactical officer when Worf is off doing his real job.
-Hot Trill helmsman
-Good music, of course.

Dislikes
-Not a doom and gloom story (I'm a DS9 fan, what can I say)
-Story wasn't all that epic, though I suppose it doesn't need to be.
-Romance was meh.
-Why was Worf reluctant to sing? He sings all the time.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 4
12-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Written so that Riker gets some action (Frakes again)
The Admiral is a traitor and breaking the prime directive and no one cares
whole plot is DAFT
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,104
# 5
12-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
- I really liked Admiral Dougherty. Very misunderstood character, who was truly working with the best interests of the Federation at his heart. Absolutely no selfishness on his part at all.

- I liked Worf's line about not being familiar with Gilbert and Sullivan

- I liked Worf's canon (isomagnetic something or other...)
-The space battles.

-The sight of Worf, Picard and Data singing. All we needed was Riker or Geordi, and we would've had a Barbershop Quartet.

Other than that..... this movie is in serious competition with Nemesis for the one I hate the most.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,775
# 6
12-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Written so that Riker gets some action (Frakes again)
The Admiral is a traitor and breaking the prime directive and no one cares
whole plot is DAFT
- The Admiral was NOT a traitor, he was acting under orders from the Federation Council!
- The Prime Directive DID NOT APPLY in this situation, therefore he could not be breaking it.

Just because you take a moral objection to the plan to improve the lives of countless people, doesn't change the canon facts of the film that Dougherty refused all Ru'afo's hospitalities, explicitly stating that he wanted to wait till they could share the benefits with all the Federation, and wound up getting his ass kicked by Ru'afo when he tried to call a stop to the mission...
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 7
12-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
- The Admiral was NOT a traitor, he was acting under orders from the Federation Council!
-

then the COUNCIL is breaking the prime directive and needs replacing
Quote:
The Prime Directive DID NOT APPLY in this situation, therefore he could not be breaking it.
of course it does
the destruction of an entire culture
the death of two worlds and the complete alteration of Billions of lives?

oh it applys alright

Quote:
Just because you take a moral objection to the plan to improve the lives of countless people, doesn't change the canon facts of the film that Dougherty refused all Ru'afo's hospitalities, explicitly stating that he wanted to wait till they could share the benefits with all the Federation, and wound up getting his ass kicked by Ru'afo when he tried to call a stop to the mission...
thats another one
he is an Admiral
he got beaten up by a dying man
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,775
# 8
12-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
-The space battles.

-The sight of Worf, Picard and Data singing. All we needed was Riker or Geordi, and we would've had a Barbershop Quartet.

Other than that..... this movie is in serious competition with Nemesis for the one I hate the most.
Yeah, I didn't like the singing at all, but Worf's line about not knowing them, and his headshake when Picard tries to get him to sing were gold
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,775
# 9
12-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
-

then the COUNCIL is breaking the prime directive and needs replacing
Tell it to the Hague...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
of course it does
the destruction of an entire culture
the death of two worlds and the complete alteration of Billions of lives?

oh it applys alright
I disagree... Picard was given orders by a superior officer and refused to obey them just because he wanted to get some. His sense of moral outrage was tedious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
thats another one
he is an Admiral
he got beaten up by a dying man
He's an old guy who probably spent much of his time behind a desk... The fact he took an ass whooping from the villain of the movie is hardly a negative against him...
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 10
12-20-2012, 02:12 PM
-
Quote:
then the COUNCIL is breaking the prime directive and needs replacing

Tell it to the Hague...
Can't JJ blew them up

or did you mean william?


Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
of course it does
the destruction of an entire culture
the death of two worlds and the complete alteration of Billions of lives?

oh it applys alright

I disagree... Picard was given orders by a superior officer and refused to obey them just because he wanted to get some. His sense of moral outrage was tedious.
He saved billions of lives

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
thats another one
he is an Admiral
he got beaten up by a dying man

He's an old guy who probably spent much of his time behind a desk... The fact he took an ass whooping from the villain of the movie is hardly a negative against him...
he is an Admiral
He should be able to solo the entire ship
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:14 PM.