Career Officer
Believe it or not, I am a happy guy!

Been here on STO for over three (3) years and recently became a Lifetime member - but not many posts at all.

The Big Dig in the past was much harder to get through - but I am guessing that's why it performs today as opposed to its past fun - too many people complain and STO is forced to make changes.

The Big Dig of the past one had to get every shield up around the Temple, from the four (4) corners of the ground to all levels of the Temple - to then take out Romulan Captains at the top! This took a lot of time, but was worth the work - except for the drops - if any.

Still, I would take the Dig's -past- over what I experience now.

The real problem is -- the cue will throw you into the Dig at ANY TIME of the mission - regardless of progress! You can be suddenly in there when your 'team' or 'the many' in there are fighting the FekLor demon which ends the mission when the giant goes down! I thought a short while ago we had to take down two (2) of them, but now it's just one.

Being thrown on a team who's two (2+) members already HAVE the plants, but then having to wait another 26+ minutes for another try at the plants feels annoying. A five (5) person team if knowledgeable about the mission would have a better chance to finish the first time - if they started together. I just tried a second time to get the plants scanned and didn't make it because again I was thrown in near the end - and I can see where this mission is going - and that is not going to be played as much soon if this late teaming is not taken care of! Why go in a THIRD time cause the team(s) are mixed matched just to get one (1) plant and THEN leave, causing more mix matching?

IF your team were not just 'shooters' and they already scanned the plants to earn the marks and you come in later would be great for the late arrivals, but of course the program seems to know when you arrive and no team benefits for you! A good number of people seem to be there just to shoot (their frustrations away - as is their right) and have NO idea of the plant part of the mission! If one was smart, when they found a plant they would open the map to see where they are - so the next time they would know where all the plants are!

Anyways, the cue's of the past would not throw you into a mission like this - without a care in the.. game? Yes, I remember the past complaints about how some would leave before the mission was over - and at times there were not enough people even in there - that probably led to the current 'good luck in there' kind of setup today. BUT -- with a larger number of people now in the Dig - the mission can finish at any time.

Bogle@celloman
PS:

BTW: In the old STF's a good team would work things out, not have them handed to you pretty much today.

The Borg - they act and move in very UNreal ways in all area's of ground combat in all STF's. I could not believe it in KA Ground Elite when the Borg jumped up from a standing position from the bottom level to the mid-level after being pulsewave'd shot over a rail! Most times they don't come back, but some still do. Running Borg? In what TV/Film did we ever see Borg run like humanoids or faster than us? The fastest I've ever seen Borg move was in the Voyager episode where we meet that first Species 8472 - they moved 'almost' as fast as the Voyager crew, but didn't run.

The Foundry Mission: Ground STF Preparation. Just type in 'GSP' in the Custom Search of the Foundry to find this one - the ground Borg on the holodeck are THE most realistic Borg I've seen in STO. They move like the Borg in all the TV series - slow and relentless and they adapt to every weapon you throw at them, even Tetryon - they force you to find a way to win using weapons AND tactical thinking. What's really interesting is people find one weapon they like the most and will 'die' using it instead of changing to a different one they might keep them alive - longer.

Enjoy, and see you OUT THERE!

Last edited by rcelloman; 01-03-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I've noticed this even with just Starbase 24. Often you jump in and the mission's already going. Hopefully you just missed the first few BoP's to shoot, but I've been thrown in after they're already busy popping cruisers. When the loot is based on damage dealt, that is really disadvantageous.
Commander
# 3
01-05-2013, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelloman View Post
... they adapt to every weapon you throw at them [...] What's really interesting is people find one weapon they like the most and will 'die' using it instead of changing to a different one they might keep them alive - longer.
Frequency Remodulator.
You can replicate them for free.
Captain
# 4
01-05-2013, 04:06 AM
what the OP forgot to mention is that the old big dig was basically a dead content because it toolk ages to finish it, even with a grp that knew what to do. i'm very happy that this scenario is gone. (same with gorn minefield, respawn was idiotic and the respawn in the big dig still is idiotic)
imo, gorn minefield as it is now is exactly how fleet actions should be in sto

i appreciate the change of it to a daily event, just the daily mission should actually be "daily" not random

the problem with the queue throwing you in a big dig (or any other fleet action) that is in progress is bad, i agree...but that is a completely different problem and quite frankly not an issue that is a constant problem.

another funny thing: people actually refuse to take the daily mission for fleet actions...on even said: "I'm not here for the daily mission!" and i was like I thought to myself:"apparently one can actually have too much fleetmarks and dilithium"

the old stfs, i semi agree here...they had something the new version lack, story!
i would much appreciate if the current stfs would be called advanced and the old reintroduced with slight adjustments as elite versions (i'm not going into details here, but lets just say harder than elites now are)...with ofcourse far better rewards. I'm talking 150-200 Omega marks for the old (ground and space combined) versions. A daily mission (or weekly) for doing all 3 + the hive and that rewards a box with either 10-15 neural processors and a mk XII very rare item
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 01-05-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Rihannsu
# 5
01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
another funny thing: people actually refuse to take the daily mission for fleet actions...on even said: "I'm not here for the daily mission!" and i was like I thought to myself:"apparently one can actually have too much fleetmarks and dilithium"
You can only do the daily once a day, so if you want to do the mission more than that, you're not there for the daily mission anymore.
Captain
# 6
01-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpangel View Post
You can only do the daily once a day, so if you want to do the mission more than that, you're not there for the daily mission anymore.
yeah true, but when you share a mission, you can actually see who is able to accept and who is not able because he either has it or it is on CD. And you, as the one sharing it, can see this information.
this guy wwould have been able to accept it, but declined it anyway.
Go pro or go home
Rihannsu
# 7
01-09-2013, 07:10 AM
If the queue did not put you into an in-progress game, you'd have to wait for a full 20-man team every time. I much prefer the current system where the game starts with fewer people and then more are added as they queue up.

Even with that system, you still sometimes have to wait a long time for the game to start. And considering fleet actions are pretty easy, I wouldn't object to the minimum players to start being reduced, possibly even to just one.

If you don't want to play a half-done fleet action, you can always leave and queue again when it's over (or full). FA's dont have leaver penalty.