Career Officer
# 51
01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxottoman View Post
You sincerely think we made the rules in suggesting it in so many words.
I haven't mentioned TRPH once, so the only way you're coming to that conclusion is if there is truth to what I'm saying.

From what I can tell, you aren't the only fleet gearing up for this style of play, and whether it comes from intentionally gaming the rules or figuring out a gaping flaw in them after the fact, it's not a good thing and needs to change.
Career Officer
# 52
01-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by polie05 View Post
not as long as 1 person is aware of it, and I am guess the person recording was aware of it. Sorry try again monkey
the person wasn't aware of it!
Empire Veteran
# 53
01-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Max 8 members per team

Explaination:

- you may have 8 members max

- if you loose some members due to any problems ( real life, kicked from the team ),
you may delete those and add new players who do not belong to another team. Always make sure though to not have more then 8 players total. That will be possible through out the tournament.
Nova Aurora Polaris
- Nova Aurora Polaris -
@pascalb1

Last edited by pascalb1; 01-11-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Captain
# 54
01-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Based on the tric mines being banned, shouldn't the cluster torps should be banned? If one crits, they all crit so isn't that "broke"?
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Career Officer
# 55
01-11-2013, 05:14 PM
transphasics Custer torpedos run on 80% penetration from the mines unleashed lets say 12 mines fully crit, under a fully buffed tactical it can be one shot enemies with every buff launched, just like a tric mine!

Having this in tournament will make the tournament suffer!

a) because all teams will just insta pop each other.

b) its just lame play!
Commander
# 56
01-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the4monkeys View Post
transphasics Custer torpedos run on 80% penetration from the mines unleashed lets say 12 mines fully crit, under a fully buffed tactical it can be one shot enemies with every buff launched, just like a tric mine!

Having this in tournament will make the tournament suffer!

a) because all teams will just insta pop each other.

b) its just lame play!
Unless I am mistaken, the tool tip for the cluster torpedoes are 40% shield penetration unlike the generic transphasic mine itself. I could be wrong though, unless the tool tip is incorrect...

All mines are effected by the whole if one crits, they all crit...

At this point I really do not know what to say or where to draw the line. S.O.B guys brought up the same point the other day, and I kind of agree on the mere fact about the if 1 critz they all crit. However, I won`t go as far as comparing them to tric mines.

Tool tip on sub nucleonic beam also says: Removes all buffs from target. This isn`t working on extends. But in some versions of the game, it has and in others it hasn`t. Oddly enough we can be here all year dissecting the game for it`s bugs. lol.
Empire Veteran
# 57
01-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Posts have been moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
So, can someone tell me my the hell is a relatively harmless console like the Nadeon Detonator is now banned?

I can only think of three reasons:

Did you guys smoke some dope?
Did it get broken in some way that I'm unaware of?
Or does it just mess with a strategy that some of the organizers are going to use? Like countering TBR separation tactics?

I would very much like to hear the reasoning behind this addition to the rules. Hell, it would be good if some kind of justification or explanation was given to all of the rules so we can understand the rational behind them. Most of the rules seem good, but a few are rather questionable.
I would very much like to hear the reasoning behind your blatant rudeness.

If you don't like the rules, don't play. Simple as that.

Just cause you need Nadeon Detonators to win all of your Mech Warriors matches, doesn't mean they should be needed in Star Trek Online.

I once heard that if you cry more, you get rules changed. Maybe try that?

Thanks! ( rjam0 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjam0 View Post
I would very much like to hear the reasoning behind your blatant rudeness.
It's quite simple:

You see, I'm used to reading silly rules in PvP tournaments. Most people have next to no understanding of game balance, and though this crowd isn't a complete exception it is easily knowledgeable enough to avoid silly rules like "only two tacs" or *cough* "no Nadeon Detonator"

Even then I would have give the benefit of the doubt to simple ignorance, but people love to talk and it appears that a couple of prominent fleets are banking heavily on tactics that Nadeon Detonator is a possible counter to.

That's not going to fool anyone with a modicum of understanding for how PvP works. It also forces me to place other rules that look a bit odd under scrutiny.

Frankly, it's pathetic. We all know what's obviously broken, we all know what obviously isn't, and we all know what's in the gray area. We should be above these kinds of shenanigans. The fact that we aren't is deserving of a measure of contempt, and that's the reasoning behind my "blatant rudeness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjam0 View Post
If you don't like the rules, don't play. Simple as that.
Wouldn't you like that?

P.S. Apologies in advance for posting my spiel in the wrong thread. The feedback thread was buried at the time. I suggest we move our conversation there. Mods feel free to move this discussions to the appropriate thread, and perhaps consider a sticky for it.
( hurleybird )

3. even though i cannot participate, i would like to chime in here,

the train of thought along current optimal team builds and current mechanics and dynamics of the game, combined with the rule set layed out, along with the recent addition of the nadion detinator console being added to the no go list...

well, did raise my eye brows.

for such a list to be constructed tends to lean the margin of favor towards the team that understands those principals of the game itself.

my fear is that the nature of this tournament will not encourage new 5 man pvp teams to participate in our community, based on the fact that some teams may have found an optimal play style or combination of playstyles within their fleet's pilots to maximize on such a ruleset.

this in itself will only contribute to further divide the pvp community.

as players who DO understand the game will catch on to such trends, and therefore either are no longer willing to participate because of such restrictions, and the team that has no clue....well, they are doomed from the start....either way...its not a pretty picture.

have fun kill bad guys

-thrusters on full-

afterthought / forethought: the team that sets the rules has the advantage. therefore, the persons making or contributing to the guidelines in such a tournament should not participate. ( thishorizon )

4. I remember when I was known as the saddest panda ( thishorizon )

Quote:
Originally Posted by thishorizon View Post
I remember when I was known as the saddest panda
Love you too - Sriously though the door to being the saddest again is always WIDE open for ya buddy ( naz4 )
Nova Aurora Polaris
- Nova Aurora Polaris -
@pascalb1
Captain
# 58
01-11-2013, 08:17 PM
how come Scramble Sensors got canned but not the "ignores shields and can kill you" tractor repulsors didnt?

also... im still not quite understanding why nadeon got banned.

i remember the tsi funday also had banned scramble sensors, and we learned that it makes science team nearly useless.

which ended with more tactical teams and more engy teams going around

which made matches last longer.

cause and effect and all that stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 59
01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Instead of arguing here guys, let's jump onto a server chat and just agree the final rules. Let's not kill the tourney before it starts with this bickering. Not good impression for the bootcamp students as well.
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Commander
# 60
01-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
Instead of arguing here guys, let's jump onto a server chat and just agree the final rules. Let's not kill the tourney before it starts with this bickering. Not good impression for the bootcamp students as well.
We can convene at TRH TS ? Or perhaps Pascals? I wasn't part of that rule making committee, so I suppose the same guys reconvene?
Closed Thread