Captain
# 21
12-24-2012, 02:42 AM
So my eyes were lying to me when I saw doctor mccoy and scotty ?

When I say iconic items it covers anything on the license including the academy and lack of bridge usage as I pointed out.

Others would probably point out exploration or maybe diplomacy.

The point was the expectations for a game with the license not the actual one single example.
Rihannsu
# 22
12-24-2012, 03:03 AM
i would love to see

- More episodic content

- the current FE's revisited and evolved

content is an important part of my STO experience. I really enjoyed the KDF storyline, and there are missions i love to replay.

Frozen, What Lies Beneath, Everything Old is New, The Vault, Cutting the Cord, Mine Enemy, Facility 4028, Alpha, Afterlife, even A Light in the Dark.. are my favourites.

too bad the maps are not available in the Foundry editor!

Join the premiere Romulan community now!

Last edited by duaths1; 12-24-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Commander
# 23
12-24-2012, 03:06 AM
overrated? i didnt even know there was a good story. i am always happy when i click a skip button or something. the story is wrong in so many places and i hate reading all day long for some mission that only requires me to kill everybody (federation like of course)
What ? Calaway.
Captain
# 24
12-24-2012, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
All the "Moar Story Missions RAWR" threads were getting to me.
The option? More PvP? I'd rather play a real PvP game. More reputation grinding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
We could kick WOW out of existance with a little work
If there was any doubt before about him living in a fantasy land...
# 25
12-24-2012, 03:20 AM
When it comes down to things like this.. some people will like it.. obviously some people won't.

I, for one, have always thought that the story of the game was probably one of its only bright spots. Now, don't get me wrong... it's not perfect. There are a tons of things that don't make sense (particularly in Romulan space) and there is also a ton of room for Cryptic to improve overall.

Story though, as others have pointed out, has never really been something Cryptic has focused on. As much as people got all excited about New Romulus and Tau Dewa... there isn't much story to be had in those new areas. There's what.. .maybe like a handful of new cutscenes to tell the story? I like the New Romulus stuff.. it gives me something to do.. but it's getting boring quickly and well.. I just feel as if it was a massive waste of an opportunity to actually do something big. Now I'm not discrediting all the work they put in it. Cryptic's done alot of good stuff with New Romulus... I just don't think they did enough.. not for the amount of time they spent on it.

Then there is the Federation / Klingon 'War'. I have nothing against the war itself.. but it's been almost three years since the game has launched.. and nothing has been done about it which is just really sad. I don't know about anyone else but I remember the devs preaching about the Fed / Klingon War endlessly before the game was launched. It seemed to be such a big focal point.

I would really love to see a return to Featured Episodes.. which were advertised on a number of occasions to happen 'weekly' although we all know that was terribly misadvertised.

From the F2P Outline:
Quote:
Episodic Gameplay ? Experience new weekly episodes that feature story-based gameplay and put your captain's ability to command to the ultimate test.
Realistically we haven't had new 'weekly episodes' for a very, very long time.. And I'm not counting the Foundry stuff because that stuff is not officially from Cryptic. I think the featured episodes were one thing people really enjoyed. It brought them online to play the game on a weekly basis when they were happening every week.

I get that Cryptic doesn't have a big team but alot of the stuff they're implementing right now... while they might be good for the long run.. it's just not doing anything whatsoever to move the story of the game forward. But... it's completely possible that they just don't really care about that.

Instead of a weekly new episode, which they obviously do not have time to make.. they should come up with a new mission every month.. or failing that.. every quarter of the year. At least then, something would be happening. People would have something new to look forward to.

Last edited by forcardassia6; 12-24-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Captain
# 26
12-24-2012, 03:21 AM
I think the story mission are the best part of STO. Everything else is a glorified content lacking MMO. 6STF as endgame content for YEARS. 3 classic mmo map for the whole game (nukara, deferi borg invaded, new romulus).
Some part of the story is not really good, but some is cool. The end part of Romulan story arc, Klingon first missions or the 2800 are good. Some missions are simply awesome (coliseum, cutting the cord). Some involve unique gameplay (boldly they rode), and some awesome map (facility 2048).
Some need rework (borg and Undine seasons). And some have bad memories attached (Cage Of Fire pathfinding, horrible for years).

I won't answer to the question, because I'm biased. I can remember almost every mission, because I have quite a good memory, and can remember any plot and detail from any game/movie for years. Needless to say I don't watch my DVD very often
I can remember even the bad plot of bad movies/game. I can even remember the plot and detail about Unreal Tournament, and it's just a random plot. Liandri, and stuff, remember ? I do.

I think they should make Episodes every 3months or so, like new serie/season we have in TV series. Add some "easy to add" grind in between, like the romulan reputation or a single STF, so we have something to do in between. Add new romulus as a season with featured episode.
IMO content like Nukara, new romulus ground or deferi borg invasion use to much work, for little. I went once in deferi, and find the reward useless, and the content unfun. Nukara, I did both time, and find it was the same. New Romulus is GW2 with phasers, and it's more annoying than GW2. I won't do it again, except for the mission each tier.

I think they'll find more strength in making story based episode regularly, instead of useless and difficult to develop ground map. If they try to do the same than others MMOS, they'll fail, because others are already better about it.

How much time to develop the mission and cutscene of New Romulus without the whole map ? Just make the city and staging area, add a teleporter to mission, and that's it. You can keep the rest.
Survivor of Romulus
# 27
12-24-2012, 03:29 AM
I remember the Mirror and Undine ones quite well, imo they were are the best missions out.

mainly because their my favorite... "bad guys" ... wish we have more stuff with the above factions....

As for species like the deferi, anyone got any pills that will help me make them forget them?
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
12-24-2012, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
We could kick WOW out of existance with a little work
Not even a snowball's chance in a very warm place. This game does not even begin to approach the thought of a notion of being anywhere in the same galaxy as WoW, let alone the same league. Maybe not even the same reality.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91851990000&dateline=  1341951426
Captain
# 29
12-24-2012, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
So my eyes were lying to me when I saw doctor mccoy and scotty ?
Cryptic had to acquire their licenses specifically for that Featured Episode series. I didn't say it was impossible, as they appear to be doing this very thing with Denise Crosby right now, but it is additional expense in terms of licensing fees, and time spent wrangling out contracts with whoever it is owns the license to that character.

It is possible that it was easier for Cryptic to get the license for Scotty and Bones because James Doohan and DeForest Kelley have died. When the person portrayed is alive, there's all sorts of legal issues, but once they are deceased licensing can become easier. I would suggest that this is why we have seen Scotty and Bones in person, but only heard Spock over a voice only communication system.

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
Starfleet Veteran
# 30
12-24-2012, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
STO's story has been pretty weak, with a lot of forgotten loose ends. On top of that, apparently the end to the Undine conflict (a healthy chunk of the 1-50 experience) was published as a short story in a Star Trek magazine.
If that's true then it's incredibly crap that players of the game itself don't get the conclusion. Is there any reason it can't be posted here when the next months issue it out at least?