Captain
# 31
12-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hravik View Post
Not even a snowball's chance in a very warm place. This game does not even begin to approach the thought of a notion of being anywhere in the same galaxy as WoW, let alone the same league. Maybe not even the same reality.
Well, I'd say its very obviously not in the same reality...

STO is super-soft-gelly-rip-off-canon-immitation of Star Trek, and Star Trek bases it self of the evolution...

Orcs and nightelfs don't really fit into that anywhere.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Commander
# 32
12-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
The story is one of its strengths? Where in the ho ho heck did you hear that from?
Seconded.

STO's story has always been fanfic-level. And that might be insulting to some fanfics.

If you want a MMO with good story, you have to look towards Japan/SE: that's one aspect of XI that always delivered; and I suspect XIV as well (but XIV fails in all other respects).
Career Officer
# 33
12-24-2012, 08:19 AM
STO capitalizes on 2 things that a lot of nerds, prolly the majority, got out of star trek, space battles and hot chicks. Guys aren't running around in STO with half naked orion chicks for a compelling story =p You want action? go pew pew, you want sex? create a toon and shove that boob size up to max. You want story? go read a book or play an RPG from a real game developer =p
Empire Veteran
# 34
12-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darimund View Post
STO capitalizes on 2 things that a lot of nerds, prolly the majority, got out of star trek, space battles and hot chicks. Guys aren't running around in STO with half naked orion chicks for a compelling story =p You want action? go pew pew, you want sex? create a toon and shove that boob size up to max. You want story? go read a book or play an RPG from a real game developer =p
More than the sex appeal, it's all pew pew baby. I bet if we got a hold of Cryptic player stats, it would show that of the people who play either STF's or PVP often, over 75% of them have alien main characters. And of those 75%, over 50% of them are females. The alien class should be done away with all together b/c it doesn't encourage valuing each class for it's merits. It's just a hodgepodge of the best skills so that we can be 5% better than the guy next to us.

There isn't enough class diversification nor career diversification in game, TBH. It's too bad it turned out this way, too. It would have been cool if the original dev team had sat down and said: we are going to create three classes: tac, engineer, and science. From there, we'll diversify further by creating merchants, telepaths, diplomats, warriors, etc. Then, the storylines and systems will be developed around those career paths and classes.

Whereas with the current STO storyline, most missions are geared tac players b/c tac players can finish them more easily and quickly than sci or engie. And there aren't even any sub classes like merchant, armorer, etc. Maybe as a merchant I could have owned a fleet or merchant vessels, had my own personal mini starbase, etc. As an armorer, I could have had special crafting bonuses. As a diplomat, I could have had special transwarp abilities that other players don't have. So much potential....
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!

Last edited by knuhteb5; 12-24-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Rihannsu
# 35
12-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuhteb5 View Post
More than the sex appeal, it's all pew pew baby. I bet if we got a hold of Cryptic player stats, it would show that of the people who play either STF's or PVP often, over 75% of them have alien main characters. And of those 75%, over 50% of them are females. The alien class should be done away with all together b/c it doesn't encourage valuing each class for it's merits. It's just a hodgepodge of the best skills so that we can be 5% better than the guy next to us.

There isn't enough class diversification nor career diversification in game, TBH. It's too bad it turned out this way, too. It would have been cool if the original dev team had sat down and said: we are going to create three classes: tac, engineer, and science. From there, we'll diversify further by creating merchants, telepaths, diplomats, warriors, etc. Then, the storylines and systems will be developed around those career paths and classes.

Whereas with the current STO storyline, most missions are geared tac players b/c tac players can finish them more easily and quickly than sci or engie. And there aren't even any sub classes like merchant, armorer, etc. Maybe as a merchant I could have owned a fleet or merchant vessels, had my own personal mini starbase, etc. As an armorer, I could have had special crafting bonuses. As a diplomat, I could have had special transwarp abilities that other players don't have. So much potential....
I have to disagree. The only "issue" with Alien is that they can choose 4 space traits. Most of the traits that are the most powerful are racial. The two most commonly used for Space are the ones that give +acc and +def... most races can get those anyways.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 36
12-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
The option? More PvP? I'd rather play a real PvP game.
EVE Online.

Seriously.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 37
12-24-2012, 09:33 AM
I know this might be out of place, but there were two things that struck in my head when playing through the game for the first time (ie actually listening/reading the missions as opposed to my speed runs for gaming value on toons), things i was a bit unfond of..

'I am loathe to'
An expression along the lines of that, it just sounded wierd, and cropped up a few times, otherwise why would i remeber it ?.?

'In the words of____' / 'what's the ___ expression,.. ____?'
e.g. 'In the words of the borg... resistance is futile'
CRINGE.
The big bad romulan guy of cutting the cord says that in pre/mid battle cutscene.
I felt all dirty

And a smaller minor gripe on my part..
Involving Tv characters, what's the expression.. (see what i did<) a gary stu/mary sue?
The timetravel missions involving spock/mccoy felt wrong, i mean at one point we teach mccoy basic/mid level biology >.>

But alas, these gripes might just be down to me :3
Your Heavy Graviton Beam deals 26470 (10583) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Commander
# 38
12-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
ITL;DR The story isn't horrible. But I would much rather have one repeatable mission with randomized variables that throws me a bizarre curveball once and a while rather than 5 "meh" story missions with fixed objectives.
I don't play STFs and rarely do Fleet actions. They bore me except for the occasions when I just want to do a shoot 'em up.

Well-written storylines are where it's at for me. A good set of stories are immersive and will get me to replay them on multiple characters. The hamster wheel repeatables get old fast for me. To me, the Fleet events/fleet actions are just more side stories that I play on occasion. I do not want to do them over and over and over and over again.

From a story standpoint, the main weakness STO has is too few missions as compared to other games. I mean, LOTRO just released an expansion with over 400 new quests, followed up by a free update with multiple instance clusters. CoH had hundreds of missions. Both games had enough storyline content that I didn't have to follow the exact same leveling path on any two characters (there was, of course overlap, but a ton of variety).

81 missions is small even for the launch of an MMO, much less three years later.

The game you describe is one I would never subscribe to or spend money on. I want to feel like my characters are part of the story; I want to feel immersed in the game world. I have FPS games for when the shooter mood hits me. That's not what I play an MMO for.
Commander
# 39
12-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
No more abnormal than myself. (Though that's not any indication of normality ) I too would like this game to have a sandboxy environment. Star Trek is all about exploration. Let me explore!!!
But what does "explore" mean to you? If all it means is find more things to shoot, then what's the point?

I like a mixture of things to do, but story is the single most important part for me. I keep seeing "sandbox" and "exploration" bandied about, but nobody clearly defines what that means. What mysteries are we going to solve, what races are we going to encounter and what are we going to do when we meet them? What are we going to *do* is the key question.

Without story it's just running around shooting things in different places and settings with no other purpose than that.

STO has the systems and mechanics to tell some *really* good stories. Several Foundry authors (with lesser tools than the devs have access to) are demonstrating that, in addition to the solid dev content. The main problem I have with Foundry sometimes is the length of missions; some need to be broken into arcs to make them more playable.

For me, a good MMO will have a combination of solid (and plentiful) storyline content, fleet actions, dailies, "adventure zones", patrols, and the like. PvP and/or raids for those who enjoy them (I'm neither a pvper nor raider).
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Um, I remember all of them. I love the story. Or, Stories. Attacking Impac Nor to capture Gul Madred only to have him murdered by his mirror universe "allies", capturing Taris on Iconia and her escape during an unrelated attack by some insanely pissed off Jem Hadar from the Dominion. Helping Miral Paris save the Klingons from their own genetic research gone wrong that left them without ridges. It's awesome how it develops. Now the Romulans are recovering from a string of disaster, beginning with the destruction of Romulus in 2387 and ending with the disappearance of Sela and the resulting civil war in 2409.