Captain
# 41
12-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp26 View Post
Attacking Impac Nor to capture Gul Madred only to have him murdered by his mirror universe "allies"
Actually, Madred and the guy killed by the Terran Empire are two different people.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Community Moderator
# 42
12-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
The story is one of its strengths? Where in the ho ho heck did you hear that from?
As much as I love STO I have to agree, I've not often heard it referred to as a strength. It's not bad, but it's sure not great. Some of the newer stuff is pretty cool, the the game as an overall probably averages a C overall, with some of the feature series coming out at a B+/A-.

That said that's pretty typical for an MMO I guess.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Captain
# 43
12-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post

STO has the systems and mechanics to tell some *really* good stories. Several Foundry authors (with lesser tools than the devs have access to) are demonstrating that, in addition to the solid dev content. The main problem I have with Foundry sometimes is the length of missions; some need to be broken into arcs to make them more playable.
Some of the foundry missions should be pulled out of foundry and added to the game officially.

Edit: I mean because they are that good.
Captain
# 44
12-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
But what does "explore" mean to you? If all it means is find more things to shoot, then what's the point?
"Space: The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. It's five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 45
12-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elandarksky View Post
I know this might be out of place, but there were two things that struck in my head when playing through the game for the first time (ie actually listening/reading the missions as opposed to my speed runs for gaming value on toons), things i was a bit unfond of..

'I am loathe to'
An expression along the lines of that, it just sounded wierd, and cropped up a few times, otherwise why would i remeber it ?.?

'In the words of____' / 'what's the ___ expression,.. ____?'
e.g. 'In the words of the borg... resistance is futile'
CRINGE.
The big bad romulan guy of cutting the cord says that in pre/mid battle cutscene.
I felt all dirty

And a smaller minor gripe on my part..
Involving Tv characters, what's the expression.. (see what i did<) a gary stu/mary sue?
The timetravel missions involving spock/mccoy felt wrong, i mean at one point we teach mccoy basic/mid level biology >.>

But alas, these gripes might just be down to me :3
Regarding Hakeev, he's the Romulan answer to Seven of Nine. An ex-Borg Romulan. So him using the saying isn't any more of a reach than Seven citing her superior Borg logic with Janeway.
Career Officer
# 46
12-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
As much as I love STO I have to agree, I've not often heard it referred to as a strength. It's not bad, but it's sure not great. Some of the newer stuff is pretty cool, the the game as an overall probably averages a C overall, with some of the feature series coming out at a B+/A-.

That said that's pretty typical for an MMO I guess.
I really don't think it is.

Like I say, look at other MMO trailers. For them, it's all "Story, story, story." in the trailers. It's all "Next patch is going to up the campaign to retake the peninsula but be on the lookout for shocking betrayal."

Now, in terms of how much of the story is good, that's a judgment call. But in terms of how much the story is a priority, I think Cryptic is way off the beaten path.

When WoW designs an expansion, they started with the lore every time... except with Cataclysm. And that blew up in their faces. They do the lore and break it down into beats and use the lore to create zones and then see what mechanics they can feed in.

Until S7, STO was "mechanics first." And it still kinda is, given that the planet was originally planned as a Gorn homeworld with the same basic setup.
Career Officer
# 47
12-24-2012, 02:25 PM
I'll add that cataclysm did have some hugely thematic lore elements, especially with a zone like Uldum.

A big difference is in team makeup.

Basically, who's the "rock star" on your team?

Read the dev interviews. Here, the design lead (Geko) came out of systems. Kestrel always identifies herself as a support role.

Contrast that with WoW. The classic counterparts to Geko would be Tigole and later Ghostcrawler. And the community has rankled over Ghostcrawler's authority. Whereas at BlizzCon, look at the guy who gets the rockstar entrances, who comes out to a WWE wrestler style introduction in a leather jacket and shades.

Who is it? Why, it's Chris Metzen. The guy portrayed as the showrunner behind ******** and Starcraft lore. What does he do? He writes lore and he voice acts half the characters.

Is he a great writer? It's debatable but I'd say the consensus is, not typically. He's widely known to have his Mary Sues. I think Kestrel is a better writer than he is.

But I think Blizzard gets a better product by investing their clout into him.

Now... I'm not saying anybody should get fired or demoted or that management trees need dramatically rearranged at Cryptic. I don't know these guys personally or well enough to say that.

I do think:

Kestrel needs a partner or team. That team needs to be considered more seriously. Dan Stahl needs to be inducted into that team so that the head boss is a lorehead and can take point when everybody else starts giggling about how "IPness" sounds.
Captain
# 48
12-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Regarding Hakeev, he's the Romulan answer to Seven of Nine. An ex-Borg Romulan. So him using the saying isn't any more of a reach than Seven citing her superior Borg logic with Janeway.
Well that's news to me >.>

In fairness it WAS a long time since i played and payed attention to the story ^^'
Your Heavy Graviton Beam deals 26470 (10583) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Captain
# 49
12-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elandarksky View Post
Well that's news to me >.>

In fairness it WAS a long time since i played and payed attention to the story ^^'
That's kind of my point.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Rihannsu
# 50
12-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
"Space: The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. It's five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."
"And get your butt handed to you by races the Federation has never heard of before."

:p
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.