Rihannsu
# 51
12-25-2012, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
I think you have it all wrong in that it is not so much the skills but the ships and OP consoles from +1 CStore ships.

PvP can be saved if they only allow preset vessels of original acquisition and ban +1 Vessels.

If there are OP skills than perhaps a separation between PvE and PvP skills will suffice. It works really really well with Guildwars, which its PvP system is far more complex than STOs.

What would be hard is between space and Ground.

Ground is just plain Tard to be honest, the system needs a complete overhaul which will effect PvE - So I don't see the Ground portion ever being corrected. You will probably going to have to make an entirely new game.

- The best example of Ground combat PvP are games like:

1. Planetside 2
2. Battlefield
3. Call of Duty

Cryptic can do it, but the thing is, is it cost effective?

Space however; can be salvaged since it is its strong suit.
hmm, i'Ve just had a VERY NICE and LONG PVP match with some premade fed's, we, KDF side were a pug, there was even nobody giving targeting orders.

We won 15/9 and it would be a nice game if one FED wasn't shouting some hate phrases in the chat (in german, too bad i understood it, it ruined the nice warm feeling of having PVP sporting fun).

What i wanna tell - they had the Tholian console and many other +1 stuff, and we still won. The +1 consoles are nice, but they are not P2W. If you know what you are doing, you just stay put till the console effects decay and move on.

I really don't think premade ships are the solution here.

What PVP needs are teams, ladders, killwalls, rewards (costumes, titles, ship materials etc), and the PVP reputation should award JUST THAT.

If cryptic is able to support PVP Bootcamp, perhaps they could make a PVP ladder game - like every month there would be a new ranking system where you start at 0 and work your way up.

The best 10 players (5KDF, 5FED) get to get some shiny reward, others get some titles
(Arena Champion 06/13) and perhaps some Dill.

Join the premiere Romulan community now!

Last edited by duaths1; 12-25-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Commander
# 52
12-25-2012, 06:36 AM
if they create a cause for people in game, they will fight for it,
just need a cause to give to the players to aim and fight for something,
other then grinding.,

allow fleets to own planets/stations and fight over special rewards from owning places.
and yes i will keep saying it lol.
Captain
# 53
12-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaths1 View Post
What i wanna tell - they had the Tholian console and many other +1 stuff, and we still won. The +1 consoles are nice, but they are not P2W. If you know what you are doing, you just stay put till the console effects decay and move on.

I really don't think premade ships are the solution here.
And then there's the hilarious tale of the time I was at Ker'rat when a KDF player in a Tholian Recluse specked for shield tanking and equipped with nothing but shield drones showed up. The battle was comically one-sided... against him as my beam boat Dreadnought proceeded to turn him to butter. How is P2W, P2W if you're not winning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaths1 View Post
What PVP needs are teams, ladders, killwalls, rewards (costumes, titles, ship materials etc), and the PVP reputation should award JUST THAT.
I suggested this myself many yonks ago (now lost to "Archived Post") in regards to Core Connect (Now the Gateway or something like that). We could put in costumes and decorations that really wouldn't make sense otherwise, things like Jolly Rogers, Capes, Coats, Peaked Caps, Weapon Costumes, Banners, Flags, Medallions, Medals, Badges, stuff like that.

We would also need leader boards for Daily PvPer, Weekly PvPer, and PvPer of the Month with special incentives, rewards and accolades associated with them. Perhaps we could also have a Hall of Fame that requires special circumstances.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Commander
# 54
12-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
We would also need leader boards for Daily PvPer, Weekly PvPer, and PvPer of the Month with special incentives, rewards and accolades associated with them. Perhaps we could also have a Hall of Fame that requires special circumstances.
I used to play a game that had all these. The weekly winner would get a temporary mount that granted bonuses throughout the week. In our case, It would be a temporary kit, gun, ship, or console. They also had yearly tournaments where they would fly the top PvPers to a certain location and they would go head-to-head in a gaming arena. It was nice to actually see an avatar's RL face and speak with them in person.

The winner always won a car.

Surprisingly, the company is still running and the F2P game is still moving forward, so they must be doing something right when it comes to PvP. The only reason I quit is because I prefer SciFi as a game genre.

A proud member of Sinfully Sexy. Join us.
Captain
# 55
12-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblygumsworth View Post
I'm not interested in a PvP rep system. This means that I will have to grind even more things. I want to play a game, not go to work. The Omega & rom rep for my main has been levelled to T4 just for the passives etc, I have not wasted any other resources on useless toys.

+1 to a ranking system instead. No more time gated crap that is a waste of dilithium and EC. PvP is full of AFKers and Suiciders as it is, the addition of a PvP rep system and PvP marks will just make it worse.

Remember the KISS rule, Keep it simple, stupid.
I think some people conflate a reputation system with a ranking system, with the understanding that 'reputation' is what you're earning, in the same sense as a ranking system. There shouldn't be a new currency added to such a system, that just turns it into yet another grind. . .not to mention we already have enough currencies/resources to work with.

What we DO need is more rewards for PvP activity. Example: Make the kill missions an hourly mission rather than daily, and get rid of that infuriating tendency for the mission (and others) to simply disappear for a few days and then come back randomly. That would give me plenty of incentive to PvP more. . .right now I'm in PvE mode because I need to grind dilithium and work on my Omega stuff to remain competitive. I haven't PvP'd in 2 weeks because there's simply not enough rewards for PvPing. You cannot reach the daily refining cap via PvP. . .enable this, and you'll see a lot more players like me (somewhere between casual and hardcore PvPers) spend more time PvPing.
Captain
# 56
12-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
It is a risk, and seems one of the upcoming seasons is going to be dedicated or semi dedicated to PvP. So just how far are they willing to go?

Why they didn't, betting they didn't have time to do it. Though I know a lot of PvPers would've loved the opportunity to attack rival fleet's starbases.

Really, Territorial PvP, Open PvP, and a massive balancing pass is what is needed to bring back PvP in STO and make it fun. Not what they are doing now with talks of a reputation system or more arena maps.

Having a dynamic battlefield such as moving territory, verying victory objectives, along with Open World PvP, really won't get as boring as it would be playing the same maps and getting trounced by hardcore teams. Here, you can choose how you want to fight and actually implement real battlefield strategies.
Agreed on the territorial PvP. The closest we get to that is places like Ker'rat, when one side gains the numerical advantage and pushes the other side back to its spawnpoint. It's also in flux, so the tide could change quite quickly.

Add more onto that concept, and you've got a nice start to making a territorial PvP system a reality.
Captain
# 57
12-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
I didn't say it did But, once you guys start hearing about Season 8, which will be our largest update yet (by far!), you'll start to see what a full team will be able to bring to the game each season going forward. Geko recently tweeted, "[h]ad great story meeting today with the team. Season 8 story content is going to be HUGE!". From everything I've seen and heard about so far, I think "huge" may be an understatement.

As for PvP, there's been talk about a PvP reputation system (no ETA on release, but it's on the radar as a possibility), Fleet Marks being added as rewards, balance passes, and changes/ updates based on player feedback. This is evident by just a few of the very recent updates/ discussions (Trico changes, testing vendor, etc.) and the support that is being shown for PvP Boot Camp. While Boot Camp was a player initiated movement, it is overseen by me, supported by everyone at PWE and Cryptic (including creating a reward to give out to participants upon graduation) and will help drive up interest for PvP. This means more players in the queues, which means more players wanting to see PvP content, which means the greater possibility of us spending developer resources on it. I've been chatting with some of the content and systems devs about their ideas they have for PvP and they sound incredibly awesome. Drumming up interest in PvP will hopefully bring those ideas, as well as those we read in these forums, to fruition.

Earlier this year, the Foundry community and I worked on resurrecting the Spotlight on the Foundry. It was such a success that there is now a dedicated spot for spotlights in the in-game mission journal, as well as special rewards for them being added (these were in testing on Tribble but were not released to Holodeck due to a couple bugs that were found; we hope to have them on Holodeck very soon). Using this as a precedent, I'm very hopeful that the same will occur with PvP due to the increased interest that we'll see in PvP after the first class of Boot Camp participants graduate.

As a final word, it is without a doubt that we would like to see STO's PvP to be as epic as it's PvE content. The above will help us get there, and once we do, I can't imagine another game that could have as epic PvP as STO would have.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Please don't be offended. . .but drop the PR talk. PvPers don't buy it, and serious KDF players don't buy it.

We want results, not a bunch of 'oh, this is gonna be HUGE/EPIC/AWESOME' and then a bunch of disappointment as you release buggy content or content that's not exactly innovative.
Career Officer
# 58
12-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
Agreed on the territorial PvP. The closest we get to that is places like Ker'rat, when one side gains the numerical advantage and pushes the other side back to its spawnpoint. It's also in flux, so the tide could change quite quickly.

Add more onto that concept, and you've got a nice start to making a territorial PvP system a reality.
Not quite right. Ker'rat and other war zones are more like a hockey match than territorial PvP. Where you have the choice to go for the objective or be the enforcer and go beating up people.

Territorial PvP you got two approaches:

Player-controlled, where players literally control territory. But its not like they sit around waiting for action to occur, but more like they frequent that area and it's theirs. And this could shift with discovery of new zones or missions that could increase one side's prowless.

For example, a new dungeon. One side has it in their back yard (lets say for STO sake it was raiding Rura Penthe to rescue a prisoner), and Federation players would have to quietly sneek into Klingon space and get out without being detected. And over time many Federation players frequent that area that the Klingons lose functional control and the dungeon on Rura Penthe becomes Federation.

The second type is the game-enforced, like Capture and Hold (but on a MUCH larger scale). Where you battle over control over objectives. And the faction that controls it, gets the benefits and the surrounding area becomes their territory. The other faction would have to mount a counter-attack to take over and shift the balance of power.

So for Territorial PvP, we basically would have Open PvP in Orbit around planets or bases, players who want to raid that planet would have to survive to make it to beam down. Then from there, they start from a friendly base, and enter an Open PvP zone to the objective (control point) or a dungeon (which could be guarded).

Which really means Cryptic could lie back and watch the fireworks. And it's not really difficult, well except how the benefits and how it plays out (faction-wide or local?)
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Captain
# 59
12-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Which really means Cryptic could lie back and watch the fireworks. And it's not really difficult, well except how the benefits and how it plays out (faction-wide or local?)
Why not all the above?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 60
12-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Why not all the above?
To Paraphrase Scotty, "I don't think she can take it, Captain!"
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!