Career Officer
# 31
12-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunjee View Post
And Saavik is the hottest Vulcan ever. Screw T'Pol. She can blow herself out of an injector coil. Kirstie Alley + TWoK uniform + Vulcan stuff = hnnngh...
I have not read a statement more full of truth than this one today.
Rihannsu
# 32
12-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
I have not read a statement more full of truth than this one today.
Well, The script called for someone who was a Vulcan/Romulan hybrid. :p
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lieutenant
# 33
12-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Well, The script called for someone who was a Vulcan/Romulan hybrid. :p
Which, according to Vulcan/Romulan history, is just a Vulcan.
Captain
# 34
12-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Military standard is Sir.

Sir, Yes Sir!

Gender doesn't factor into it.

The only other way to address a Superior is by rank, Instead of "yes sir." It's "Yes Captain/Commander/Admiral/etc".
Captain
# 35
12-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Personally, when I'm writing a mission, I have Starfleet contacts refer to the player by rank, but the player's BOFFs refer to the player as Captain, or Sir.

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
Rihannsu
# 36
12-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahl View Post
Which, according to Vulcan/Romulan history, is just a Vulcan.
No. If that was true they'd be a lot more similar than they are. As-is it's relatively easy to do a scan and tell them apart. See: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Romulan#Physiology
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 37
12-25-2012, 10:56 PM
I also cling to "Sir" as gender neutral.

However, here's the tweak I would suggest.

Borrow from the shows. Add a dialogue to the missions getting this feedback.

NPC: Aye, sir.

Option A: Proceed
Option B: Don't call me sir.

Option B->

NPC: Why shouldn't I call you "sir"?

Option A: Because I'm a woman.
Option B: I don't like to stand on ceremony.

Both options ->

NPC: It has been Starfleet protocol for decades to address all commanding officers, regardless of gender or preference, as "sir." I understand Admiral Janeway had some issues with that back when she was in the Delta Quadrant but she was 40 years away from command at maximum warp.

Admiral Quinn has reiterated the protocol personally to me. So, while your objection will be noted in my report, Captain, I won't risk disciplinary action with Quinn over my method of address.

You'll have to take it up with command, sir.
Captain
# 38
12-25-2012, 11:11 PM
My understanding from the episode of Voyager (and at the time of the quote they were not in the delta quadrant, or if I recall correctly, hadn't even left on their mission to intercept/meet the Val Jean), It isn't that Janeway disliked "sir" as a women. Especially since Star Trek had on several occasions tried to establish that earth was at this time much less stuck on gender roles/distinction.

Rather I got the impression that Janeway was far less formal in how she handled things then say Picard. Picard was very by the book, so he tended to be very formal, especially around new crew members. Janeway on the other had struck me as more informal, so rather then have everyone call her "sir" she prefered simply captain.
Lieutenant
# 39
12-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I also cling to "Sir" as gender neutral.

However, here's the tweak I would suggest.

Borrow from the shows. Add a dialogue to the missions getting this feedback.

NPC: Aye, sir.

Option A: Proceed
Option B: Don't call me sir.

Option B->

NPC: Why shouldn't I call you "sir"?

Option A: Because I'm a woman.
Option B: I don't like to stand on ceremony.

Both options ->

NPC: It has been Starfleet protocol for decades to address all commanding officers, regardless of gender or preference, as "sir." I understand Admiral Janeway had some issues with that back when she was in the Delta Quadrant but she was 40 years away from command at maximum warp.

Admiral Quinn has reiterated the protocol personally to me. So, while your objection will be noted in my report, Captain, I won't risk disciplinary action with Quinn over my method of address.

You'll have to take it up with command, sir.
No option to throw him out the airlock or feed his extremities to the Targs after the open act of defiance? Starfleet's so boredull.
Career Officer
# 40
12-26-2012, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
My understanding from the episode of Voyager (and at the time of the quote they were not in the delta quadrant, or if I recall correctly, hadn't even left on their mission to intercept/meet the Val Jean), It isn't that Janeway disliked "sir" as a women. Especially since Star Trek had on several occasions tried to establish that earth was at this time much less stuck on gender roles/distinction.

Rather I got the impression that Janeway was far less formal in how she handled things then say Picard. Picard was very by the book, so he tended to be very formal, especially around new crew members. Janeway on the other had struck me as more informal, so rather then have everyone call her "sir" she prefered simply captain.
Janeway hit me as someone who wanted to make sure everyone knew SHE was in charge. That SHE was the "Captain"
Plaque by Voporak
I love nice long walks in the country.
Especially if they're taken by people who annoy me!