Captain
# 1 Gedankenlab: splitting the que
12-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Hey all, listen to this idea, then tell me what's wrong with it:

To improve PvP's numbers and make it more appealing to casual players, I propose the following idea for your destruction:

Take the PvP que, split it into two ques-one for "Teams" and one for "Random".

If a toon is on a "team" it can't join a random match, if a toon is NOT on a team, it can't join the "team" ques.

If you join the 'random' que solo, then join a team, you get kicked from the que.

The concept is very simple: a Team, or "Premade" has an intrinsic advantage over five random people, one that is greater than the mere sum of it's parts. We already segregate by level, and the system already KNOWS who's "teamed" and who's not. in this concept, pre-set Teams would face only other pre-set Teams, while Pugs would only face Pugs.

The constant conventional wisdom of "PvP is suffering because lots of people get rolled in their first pick-up game by premades" would be rendered moot.

Does this make sense?

Demolish the concept.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
# 2
12-25-2012, 11:40 PM
i'd say, if there were more people who actually pvp..

this would be cool.

there are so few of us friend, this may actually decrease the games you get to participate in.

have fun kill bad guys
Career Officer
# 3
12-26-2012, 12:10 AM
I like it because you can avoid the random queue and get away from the dip**** dilithium farmers, afkers (unless it's teams of 'em, lol).

And I mainly like to queue with OPvPers now, and do pugmades or challenges with 'em. It's made PvP more enjoyable for me (even if the occasional asshat takes annoying p2w into the challenges).

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.

Last edited by snoge00f; 12-26-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Career Officer
# 4
12-26-2012, 01:52 AM
Well, this idea again.

With so few PvP players further splitting the queues is not an option at all. Also everytime this idea comes up it always seems to only include single players or 5 man teams. What's with teams of 2, 3 or 4 people queing? Where are they in this concept?

Aaaand, queing as a team doesn't necessarily mean they give a thought about their teams setup. You'd be surprised how often a 5 man team gets kicked hard as soon as your pug starts working together. Ok, that's not really a good argument, more the teams fault, but still, if said team is not really a made, but just 5 people from 1 fleet teaming they aren't necessarily better than a pug with target caller and focus fire.
-----------------------
decker999
Captain
# 5
12-26-2012, 02:18 AM
The major problem with this idea is it discourages team play. It also discourages teams from ever playing unless their in full premade mode because a causal group of friends won't be able to play otherwise.

Taking the "M" out of mmo is never a good idea.

I run usually daily pugmade matches, completely random people from the opvp channel yet we get called premades sometimes. Why? We're randomly composed as a pick up group.

Some matches now all it takes is 1 skilled player to turn the tide in a pug game. Yet te team with the one skilled player will get called a premade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Career Officer
# 6
12-26-2012, 03:02 AM
All in all, I don't think anything will solve the PvP problem.

As long as "Rock-paper-scissors" is properly implemented into this game, nothing will make the PvP work.

They can put in all the maps, and features into PvP they wont, but as long as roles aren't valued as much as they need to be, PvP will always be a "low interest factor".

Don't get me wrong: Your idea is great, but it won't solve the problem... It might be interesting for people for a week or two, but then it will die out again.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 7
12-26-2012, 07:59 AM
I like the idea. Nothing ruins a match more than a premade group, showing off and wiping the floor with everyone, and essentially using players as punching bags. But at the same time there's not enough players to make this idea work.

The only option is to make your own premade and get really good or just put up with the gangbeatings.

Also... there is nothing sweeter than beating the hell out of a premade group. It doesn't happen as much as I'd like, but when it does... man! That really boosts one's confidence.
Captain
# 8
12-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Why does everyone thing premades are "out to get them" get a team players just play together for the fun of it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Empire Veteran
# 9
12-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:
If you join the 'random' que solo, then join a team, you get kicked from the que.
huh? Seems to defeat the point of playing together even if a PuG and is pushing the idea of PvP into the realm of "soloing" and 1vs1.

How would all those "soloists" communicate without the other side seeing it?
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Rihannsu
# 10
12-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
Why does everyone thing premades are "out to get them" get a team players just play together for the fun of it?
Because the result is that there are more unbalanced matches in the queues. No one has fun in unbalanced matches. By joining as a team, you are lessening the fun of everyone involved, including yourself.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584