Career Officer
# 1 Third Faction Proposal
12-25-2012, 03:08 PM
##################################################

Before anyone actually submits their vote on the above poll, I'd ask you to actually read everything written here. Long term, if this gets support, it will likely effect the future of Star Trek Online factions (one way or the other) thus if you're ignorant to the cause and jump the gun you could end up an unwilling and un-favoring participant in future updates.

Give me the benefit of the doubt here and allow me to explain my desires, and for the love of god don't mention the Klingon faction. For the purpose of this topic, I don't care, nor do I wish to hear about the status of either the Federation or Klingon factions. I would hope that is understood.

Many gamers desire a third faction to complete this game. Most MMO's are launched with three factions, and most of those are content with that number; just as STO players should be (opinion). With the exception of the Borg, the main three species/governments within the Trek universe that are a main focus are the Federation, Klingon and Romulan empires. This has been the case since TOS. TNG and DS9 introduced the Cardassians, and if there ever was going to be a 4th power, it was going to be them; for a time, it was them.

My proposal is that a third faction be created that combines the Romulan and Cardassian into a single, fully playable faction.

In my opinion neither a full Romulan or Cardassian faction would be practical at this stage. The Romulan Empire is scattered, and the (now former) Cardassian Union is without an actual Military (conditions of their surrender during the Dominion War). The only two segments of both governments that would still (or do still) hold any sort of power and influence are the Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order.

By fulfilling such a request, you (Cryptic) do a number of very important things:

1) You give this MMO the third faction that it deserves. The game has come such a long way since launch, and although some people complain (I've done so myself in the past) you are actually doing a wonderful job with it. I'd hate to see that job stop with only two factions.

2) By combining the remnants of these two species, you'd be keeping both Romulan and Cardassian fans happy. I know there are those playing the game that would rather see these two factions split, but realistically... Launch gave the game two factions, then with F2P (or maybe earlier) the Klingon faction was reduced.

It's taken this long (at least) to get a third faction, so how long would we be waiting for a fourth? That is a question that goes out to those who wouldn't wish a hybrid faction. I would personally rather play a combined third faction than to wait another 4+ years for another two factions.

I would rather play a Cardassian than a Romulan, though I recognize the importance of both.

3) You'd be cutting your workload allowing for focus on other things. Should you desire four factions from this point on, that would be another two tutorials, another two academy zones, another two Starbase/First City zones, another bunch of species for not one, but two factions, another two Starbases (inc Embassies) and a whole bunch of changes to already existing sectors.

By combining these two factions (and maybe giving them a new sector above Orellius and to the left of Iota Pavonis) you'd cut the workload in two, thus freeing up time for your staff to work on other projects that the community desires.

Included Species:
* Romulan
* Cardassian
* Reman
* Jem Hadar (Alpha) ~ Tactical and Engineering only
* Hirogen ~ Zen Purchase
* Vorta ~ Zen Purchase, Engineering and Science only

The Romulan, Cardassian and Reman are obvious candidates here. You wouldn't get a Science-orientated Jem Hadar soldier, nor would you get a Tactical-orientated Vorta. It is shown and stated throughout Cardassian-focused arcs that there are freelance Jem Hadar mercenaries within the Alpha Quadrant following the fallout of the Dominion War, a few of those worked for the True Way.

The Hirogen and Vorta (as seen above) I've got as Zen items. The reason being I'd believe them to be rare. The Vorta serve the Founders (I know the Jem Hadar do too, but that's more to do with their drug and blind faith). The Vorta are practically their main children, thus I feel less Vorta would change allegiances than Jem hadar (especially if Jem Hadar manage to create their own White). The Hirogen principle is simple, they're scattered through the entire galaxy, thus I'd not expect a crew full of them working for the Romulans.

Other Species:
* Suliban
* Vaudwaar
* Son'a ~ Zen Purchase

The reason for the Suliban is somewhat simple, I've no doubt certain elements of the Kabal remain, and I can easily see those descendants working for a force such as the Tal Shiar or Obsidian Order. I'd ease off their ability to walk on walls, but they've got a similar ability to the Jem Hadar as far as cloaking goes. Their system (or a system bearing their name) has recently shown up too, so it's safe to assume they're still about.

The Vaudwaar (from VOY if not recognized) I think would make another excellent candidate. They have suffered mass destruction thus could sympathize with the Tal Shiar and state of the Romulan Empire in addition to the Cardassian people for their losses in a war. We know the Vaudwaar have those subspace tunnels; nothing to say they didn't pop up in the Alpha Quadrant somewhere and align themselves with the above powers.

The Son'a, they produced White for the Dominion. It wouldn't be too farfetched to believe that these Jem Hadar mercenaries still have some form of contract with the Son'a for the production of this drug. Wouldn't hurt to throw one or two of them in somewhere? Again, I wouldn't see them as allies, but contributors, thus a few select members of their society may choose to join the hybrid-faction cause.

Starships:
I know everyone would love to see several different designs per tier, but that hasn't happened with the Klingons (they're limited) and it doesn't need to happen with a Rom/Card Hybrid faction (at least not initially). A single Cardassian and a single Romulan ship per class, per tier is all that is needed (a material or two can allow for variation).

I read somewhere that there was some regret about releasing the Galor as a lock box ship. That's fine. With the Obsidian Order involved, we can use a Keldon instead of the Galor; they can always be unlocked via Master Key anyway (as would all lock box releases; though the Temporal rewards may have to be altered slightly).

You can include a bunch of, if not all the Jem Hadar / Dominion ships as Zen purchases in addition to (potentially) the Son'a and Breen.

Featured Episodes:
The Dividian and Breen stories can still be told (though a few changes would be needed on Defera, inc their dialogues). The 2800 missions may also require a slight tweak, though could still work (maybe this is where you'd acquire your Vorta instead of a Jem Hadar Boff). The only series you'd really struggle with is the Reman/Vault bunch. This can either be edited, or excluded (seeing as you'd get Reman Boff's anyway, you'd not be missing much). I suppose you could always change the Reman Boff to a unique 'reunification' Vulcan Boff?

Campaign / Story Mode:
Primarily could / would focus on the fallout of the Romulan Supernova, and then more toward internal affairs. You could battle the True Way, Terran Empire and Romulans filling up slots in already ongoing missions. Conflicts between the Federation and Klingon are a given, and zones such as Eta Erandi (Tholian Ground) would still be open and available. Heck, even the reputation system can still work.

As a Tal Shiar / Obsidian Order agent, you should still be able to go to New Romulus and aid them (they're not going to know you're a spy, or it might be that you're a different section of Tal Shiar?). Hell, if the Klingons are helping the Romulans rebuild, then anything is possible.

Yes, this would take some work on the part of Cryptic, and it would take support on our part too. I never said it would be a 5-minute job, nor would I expect it to be. I do think though that long-term, this is the best viable solution to the contemporary problem of a third faction.

I will be posting a link to this thread on the January Ask Cryptic with a simple question. Hopefully by then there will be enough feedback giving them something to go on. If it turns out the votes are highly more in favor of this not happening, then fine, the community will have spoken and I'll drop the matter (once and for all). If this gets support though, I'm willing to push it all the way to the top best I can.

Edit: Apparently I forgot to add, and now can't add a Poll. Thus, if a Moderator wouldn't mind? Quite simply a title of "Would you support this, or a similar proposal?" followed by the options of "Yes, I'd support it" and "No, I wouldn't support it" that would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by flash525; 12-25-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Captain
# 2
12-25-2012, 03:51 PM
I like your suggestion. I would support three full factions. We'd need to reach two full factions first.

I'd also like a starship that looks like a giant space pony, and the option to have a centauroid alien race as my captain, while we're wishing for impossible things.
Career Officer
# 3
12-25-2012, 04:03 PM
I could go for this, but include the Galore and Bug ships as just free ships. The people who have the ships are fine, but stop disseminating the ships once this sort of faction is out.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
Ensign
# 4
12-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Is the most common sense idea, put a "Rogue" faction that have all the trekier wanna-have races that doesn't have the other two factions.

But iit would be "extraordinarily" non-canon from cryptic, so I don't think ever gonna happen.

Romulans are homeless and Cardassians with not much diversity.

I see sooner Cardassians and Romulans being a zen-purchasable fed AND Kdf races, (Look, another reason for unlocking cardassian lockboxes... :S), with the final appareance of the Romulan lockbox to make a deal.

but YES, of course I support this post. But simply I don't see it realistic, it's a shame.

About a 3rd faction, I think they maybe have to create something really new (like a Delta quadrant coalition or the Dominion Faction), easier than touching in his creative way two very copyrighted empires (Part of the soul of ST like feds and klingons) as Romulans and cardassians. But well... They sure have take his creative licenses with New Romulus... or it was created for books or something? :S
Career Officer
# 5
12-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Aren't you jumping the gun a bit? Don't you need a second faction before you get a third?
Captain
# 6
12-25-2012, 06:27 PM
I would love a rogue/mercenary third faction for all the people who just want to fart around doing missions and doing their own things. It'd let Fleets pick a different theme -- maybe you are Ferengi mercenaries, or the space force for a small backwater world, or traders, or...
Captain
# 7
12-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
Aren't you jumping the gun a bit? Don't you need a second faction before you get a third?
Shhhhh! He said not to mention the KDF!

You're absolutely right of course.....

But he said not to mention the KDF!!!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 8
12-25-2012, 06:56 PM
He didn't mention KDF, did he now? Nope.
Ensign
# 9
12-25-2012, 07:01 PM
A time stream message from universal date 307212.25 IGFA Inter Galactic Fleet HQ Alpha Centauri Prime. In the next six earth months, a new federation starship will launch named The Valiant 2 Odssey class starship from space dry dock, Millennia Star Base, Alpha Centauri Prime.
Captain
# 10
12-25-2012, 07:07 PM
In this present proposal, I vote no. Very simple, those two factions are miles apart in philosophy and direction.

At this present time, the Cardassian Union is fighting a guerilla war against the True Way and receives the majority of its support from the UFP.

The Romulans are splintered and cannot even decide on a capital system. Apparently, they are getting support from whomever. Besides, its the Imperial Fleet rather than the Tal Shiar would be the star navy equivalent to other two.

I love to have anew faction either Romulan or Cardassian, but with the present modus operandi of Cryptic, we will not get a full, half, or even a partial third faction, we got a adventure zone and eventually purchasable playable Romulan and Cardassian species.
Closed Thread