Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Captain
# 11
12-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Ahh so it is a really annoying exploit. I assume that a PM has been sent to the appropriate dev or someone like branflakes.
Empire Veteran
# 12
12-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Ahh so it is a really annoying exploit. I assume that a PM has been sent to the appropriate dev or someone like branflakes.
More or less, yeah, exactly that.

Captain
# 13
12-28-2012, 01:26 AM
I don't know where you guys see a problem here. The damage of a single hyper plasma torpedo is laughable and they don't get a speed bonus/defence bonus from the romulan/reman set, only the high yield ones. The normal torpedos remain extremely slow and have obvious difficulties to catch a moving target. A player should not have any problems in dealing with them, in fact I wouldn't recommend them for PvP and not even for many PvE encounters which feature fast moving ships.
Commander
# 14
12-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Hyper torp OP? No. But, if utilized properly, it can be a nice addition for PvE.

In my FPE, I've been loading the Omega torp fore with 3x Fleet DHC AP[Acc], and the cutting beam and the Hyper plasma torp rear along with a turret. Typical use: approach target(s) to optimal range (under 2km) attack with 2x each TS/CSV. When the heat turns up a quick turn to launch the hypers and then return to the fwd arc (in most cases before the hypers are on target) with yet another TS/CSV.
Prime Minister Nayrok: Do not relax your security for an instant, Captain. He is extremely violent, and very cunning, as you already know.
Jean-Luc Picard: A matter of internal security: the age-old cry of the oppressor. The Hunted [3.11]
Captain
# 15
12-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Canon, and what actually occurs in STO, are rarely in any way related.
Captain
# 16
12-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Except, it isnt.
Commander
# 17
12-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Except, it isnt.
Well it might be. I mean, I sure hope no one is whining about projectile doffs doing their job and don't want to be bothered to counter it in PVP, which is really easy to do because plasma torps have always been and always will be PVE torps and utterly useless for PVP.

The torp is also really only good for one thing: borg gates. Omega is better for everything else. So, I hope this is really an exploit/bug issue, and not someone QQing over legit gameplay mechanics that are not broken whatsoever.
Empire Veteran
# 18
12-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Ya'll are jumping the gun a little bit too quickly. Exploit or no, the reason there aren't really too many complaints yet, is because these are still pretty few and far between.

The reason things get nerfed is because a LOT of people use a generally VERY powerful item or build over and over and over, which generally has little to no counter against it, and usually little to no strategy to use it in the first place (tric mines being an example).

Sure, these torps seem innocuous right now, but they're semi-rare still.

Wait until there's whole teams of burn builds that launch copious amounts of these torps in whole spreads, with gravity wells, AMS and/or Scramble Sensors, mines to slow down AoE counters, and so on.

Simply because they might not seem like trouble now, doesn't mean they won't be trouble later.

Their damage and DoT isn't the problem, it's the overwhelming amount you can make. And unlike tric mines, these can hurt the moment they are launched, and they can be used at point blank range. Heals will run out, counters can be on CD, yet these torps WILL just keep coming.

And often times a problem in PvP either comes from, or goes to PvE. Think of how many are going to start making those builds in PvE, burning through entire ESTFs easily with them.

Maybe they aren't OP, as they stand now, but often times once something gets 'spread', it tends to be much more of a problem. Tric mines were and are that way, the broken Omega Shield Regen was that way, and in the future, there will be something else.

Career Officer
# 19
12-29-2012, 03:59 AM
I dont think you understand. In pvp, I have seen people fire so many torpedos I could not count them all. The further away I am the more trouble I am in, because the row of torpedos gets longer. Sure, I can shoot a gravity well and eat some of them, if i have that skill, I could put my fighters on intercept and get a few, scatter volly, torpedo spread... I can shoot them down with normal weapons... but after all my tricks are spent, there is still an infinite number of torpedos to deal with, not to mention im out of the fight for as long as it takes to deal with the torpedos.

In pve i see people eating Elite STF Gates with them, shooting a constant line of them for as long as it takes. Killing a gate like this is faster then killing it with tricobalts.

The number of torpedos is endless.

These are the romulan ones I am talking about, not sure why my thread was merged withthis one that seems to be about the omegas.

It isnt that common that I see people shooting torpedos like this, but every game I see them in ends the same way: I lose. Unless I am on a team with someone who can do this. Then I win.

Last edited by pulserazor; 12-29-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Captain
# 20
12-29-2012, 05:07 AM
Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you guys? You obviously never tested the hyper torpedos yourselves, else you would have noticed that they are a VERY low damage/FAST firing weapon. That's the reason why you see so many of them on screen, but their damage is the lowest of all torpedos in this game. They are only decent if a player manages to stack several plasma fires on one target. This sometimes happens in STFs when dealing with cubes and gates, but almost never in PvP because these torpedos are easily outrun.

Oh, and they are not even remotely in the same damage league as dispersed tricobalt mines. I can tell because I tested both tricobalt mines and hyper plasma torpedos and I never achieved 800.000 damage with plasma torpedos