Lt. Commander
How do you (personally) handle stuff that's outside the core, seen-on-screen "hard" Trek continuity in your Foundry writing?

Do you include soft canon/fannon, or avoid it? Are you willing to outright contradict it if you don't like it?

Do you feel compelled to keep your stuff in continuity with other people's foundry missions for the sake of the game, or do you ignore it and do your own thing? By which I don't just mean character /story stuff, but actual overarching world stuff, be it tech or political or whatnot.

What about stuff that's canon for the game, but not for the TV/movies, either in a soft canon/apocryphal sense, or a contradictory sense? Do you feel the need to adhere to that, or do you ignore it if it suits you/you don't like it?

I don't mean whether or not you're willing to make up totally new stuff (kind of a given), but rather whether you try to write around already existing ideas, or overwrite/ignore them if it either suits your story or you feel you can do better.
Career Officer
# 2
12-29-2012, 03:41 AM
I try to respect canon where possible, but I am not a walking trek encyclopedia so I just don't worry about conflict. I don't fool myself that many actually read the mission text, and I'm sure they don't do it twice if at all.
I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
Career Officer
# 3
12-29-2012, 04:11 AM
I respect show/movie canon, and some of the stuff in the books/other video games, if I happen to find out about it. However, some of the books contradict themselves, so that goes to show how seriously that is taken. But I do think drawing on some of the soft canon gives you a bit more depth to work with.

I'll respect other Foundry missions, if I know about them. Don't really see that generally as a problem.

At Fanon, that's starting to get ridiculous. One person can only know so much. If I were aware of it, I would probably respect it, but the reality is I'm not going to be aware of every single fan written story and I'm not going to spend time seeking them all out.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 12-29-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
12-29-2012, 05:25 AM
Canon is the gospel as far as I'm concerned.

I try to respect those parts of soft canon that I've read or played, if not adhere to them strictly. Personally I've always liked the Shatner/Reeves-Stephens novels, so I incorporate a lot of that. Sometimes I'll go research something on Memory Beta to see whats been written. I did that with the Tzenkethi when I was going to include them in the "Dissent" Series. I didn't take everything there as gospel, but I utilized some of it.

As for fanon, well I prefer to think of my missions as their own fanon universe, so there is continuity within that. Recurring characters, an actual timeline, etc.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 5
12-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Given my lack of Trek Lore (I try, but I'm not really a Trekkie), my preference right now is for stories well away from the big stuff of the game. Memory Alpha helps me with little details, and feedback will help more.

Among other things, I have an interest in making holonovels for people to play, in which case I can utterly ignore canon.
Captain
# 6
12-29-2012, 08:06 AM
If it happened on screen, or in the game, it's happened.

Games, as long as they do not contradict what happened on screen, sure. But I've only played Shattered Universe, Invasion, Conquest, Encounters, Elite Force, Generations and A Final Unity. As far as I'm concerned, Invasion, Shattered Universe, Elite Force and A Final Unity happened (My mission even spawns from A Final Unity in a manner of things). And my player ship is the Sentinel C, following the loss of the Sentinel B in Invasion. Even has the same registry (with an extra 9 on the front, because of game reasons).

Generations contradicts what we saw on screen, so it is the movie version.

In terms of books, I tend to avoid using them as canon. There's too many and they can get quite restrictive in what has happened. Although with Calhoun in game, that does mean A New Frontier books are all canon.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Rihannsu
# 7
12-29-2012, 08:21 AM
I love to use bits from the shows as BG info in my stories. My TAS Redux mission makes several explicit references to Time Trap.

Some of the books are easy to accept as canon(the Corps of Engineers books), others are problematic(Demons of Air and Darkness).... ok that one is VERY problematic....

Now, I DID use place names derived from Diane Duane's Rihannsu in one of my stories. But... a large part of that seems to be used as BG info in STO.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 8
12-29-2012, 08:51 AM
*The Game: Yes.

*The shows/movies: Generally, yes though you need to keep in mind that the ST writers could themselves be rather slack here so you need to exercise some judgment. It's a great deal of fun to throw some refrence to an episode now and again and it creates a little bonding moment between you and the player when they go: "Hey, I remember that!" Just be careful not to overload your missions with this stuff.

*My own Missions: Yes

*Other people's mission: Not at all, too many to keep track of and I don't want to be pigeon-holed by what someone else has done.

When in doubt I call upon the floating stone head, Zardoz, to guide me. All hail Zardoz! the gun is good!
Captain
# 9
12-29-2012, 10:35 AM
When it comes to cannon, I stick to memory alpha; which encompasses more or less the shows and movies. The books, what I know I keep in mind, but, I don't hold as pressed into stone as say something else.

I will lean towards game and it's cannon, as, I am writing for a section that takes place in the game universe. Paulson Nebula is a good example of this: in the shows it was a soft, pretty, whispy blue. In the game, an obnoxious red which is a misty goop of red tide. For a mission which I used it, I went with the game. And, it has gotten my flak (for more than just the obnoxious part too). When you go against cannon main show, it's a possible mission death sentence.

There are beautiful exceptions, blurring the lines like the game does in some places, explaining away something with something else. What you thought was one thing was really another. However, there is only one bit of Trek Cannon that if I really want to ignore... and that's Methuselah. I like the idea, but, his rap sheet is just too long and has too many inconsistencies for me to be comfortable with.

It's always dangerous when you pick some big part of unwritten cannon or aspect of the show to make a focus. The specific mirror universe for example. Mainly because everybody (including yourself) has an idea of what it should/would/could be. I know, I took a big chance when I attempted to include a child of Reginald Barclay into the foundry. Flirting with disaster in more ways than one. It's dangerous, but, has worked out thus far. Honestly, it was pretty crazy to try, but, I was expecting a Barclay somewhere in STO, so, when the opportunity showed up...

I will say this about foundry mission cannon; good luck. There is so much out there, how do you go with with outside of your own? I know I'm not going to accept the cannon of someone's mission that unwrites the entire trek universe as a hologram. And although I may like the idea, how am I supposed to know your toon married some other toon back off in this other missions series you like? I think the one exception is when the community, or the devs themselves, latch on to something.

I think we all pretty much have to agree that Helna is STO cannon, especially now that we can have our own doff of her.
Captain