Starfleet Veteran
# 41
12-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Its working as intended. Not as the Developers intended however...

Yes, the mission is working as the author intended, but is it really for the Foundry?
*shakes head* If all the player must do is log in and sit there with no interactions, then this one should just be removed as a console clicker (this coming from someone who created/used console clickers).

However, I have no problem with what some are considering Grind missions. And this is coming from a dedicated role-player.

For example, I rather enjoy the Battleship Royale, which was mentioned on the first page of posts. It gives interesting details about how the other ships fare against each other and I get to test different strategies/defenses. For example, I learned that you can drag an accumulation of enemy mines right into a different faction ship (Galaxy Quest style); a strategy I'm now using in all sorts of fun places (my poor holographic ships...how cruel I am to them now). In addition, the background space scenes are quite nice as well.

It does drop a good portion of loot - but this loot is limited in amount per day (interesting aspect that was placed into the game - after a certain quantity of loot via foundry missions is obtained the drops stop entirely for a day).

To be blunt, I find it fun - even to the point of doing it several times per day. I rated it 5 stars & donated dilithium because the description and the mission were accurate and I've enjoyed it.

I've even created my own "grind" which currently involve the Breen which I find rather challenging (more so than Battleship). Most of the official missions are nothing more than "grinds" where you just kill all the enemies. So what is the big deal here?

I've also tried the current Featured Foundry mission; and despite it being rather well done, I just didn't enjoy it. It worked wonderfully, and obviously the author put a great deal of dedicated work into it - but after a few minutes it felt like one of those episodes you sit through just so you don't miss a part of some overarching storyline in the series - however you can play those at 2x speed... I'd rate that one also 5 stars but not b/c I enjoyed it, but it was a quality product. Quite a shame really since I was so thrilled to see a featured foundry mission put up and jumped right upon it. I can't wait for future spotlight missions to be posted (as well as try some of the missions/series advertised in many of your signatures).

It is clear that some missions which are just console clickers in disguise (as the OP brought up) don't deserve the reward and I understand the fervor against them. Meanwhile, there are many missions that are not console clickers and meet the requirements of 15 minutes interactive gaming (like my Breen mission ? 25-30min), which do not receive the reward or high ratings. Is this a slap in the face?

I recommend that in addition to the 15 minutes game time a player should be disqualified if they are AFK for 5+ minutes (this should also include the STFs, marks missions, etc?). I also rec?d in another thread that the foundry missions should have different levels of reward based on average gaming time. Why shouldn?t a story-intensive hour long mission earn more of a reward than a 15 minute shoot-em-up?

My long post and a nickel gets you a nickel. Thanks for reading.
There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
Starfleet Veteran
# 42
12-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Adding to my already long post is that the Foundry should allow you to search by the type of mission and then list them in order of stars, etc...

Options can include:
Space or Ground only or mixed
Role-Playing/Storyline or simple Kill-fest
Number of Maps*

Other thoughts?

*one mission I played recently had maybe 10 transitions or so and although it too was a work of art sitting behind so many load screens was a killer for me.
Captain
# 43
12-28-2012, 12:50 PM
A better way to search Foundry missions is the single most valuable thing that can be added to the system imo.
Career Officer
# 44
12-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Thank you all for the insightful and frank discussion. Keep it up. Now I'll clarify one or two things on my opinion. I have no problem with grinders. They take time and effort and often improve on the Dev's formula or the patrol style mission. There is nothing wrong with a mission designed to be a daily. I have one after all. I converted one of my non combat Foundry Challenge missions into one.

The Key Difference:

They are meant to be interactive and involve your Captain, not set you up and let your Doffs do all the work while you run off to get a sandwich. That's what rubs me the wrong way.
Also known as Gingie(In game) Sskald(Gates of Sto-vo-kor)
Captain
# 45
12-28-2012, 07:39 PM
I tried a BOFF grinder KDF-side. Frankly, I found it easier to actually run in and help out.

I like grinders for when my time and attention is limited -- I just want to go blow stuff up and get something for it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 46
12-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Separating the missions into categories would also require ratings to have separate fields instead of just a general 0-5 star rating.

I've read more than a few complaints from story-based missions that they received 1 star b/c it was "too long" or "too much to read", meanwhile in their description for the mission it told the players that it'd take n minutes or was story-intensive.

On the flip side, my little Breen shoot-em-up (which I'm building a storyline for, but wanted to get some of the combat tested/receive feedback) received a mediocre rating because it lacked a storyline.

What would resolve this is categories for the ratings. Something basic and quick. The foundry author should categorize their mission and that would enable specific ratings categories. This could then be used to enhance the search engine so that the players can find the missions they want (sometimes all I want is a quick 15-20min shoot-em-up; other times, like last night, I went for a 90+minute episode by AJStoner - which I really enjoyed - often though I wind up wasting endless time trying to find a mission that suits my mood/time/etc..).
Survivor of Romulus
# 47
12-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjexcimer500 View Post
What would resolve this is categories for the ratings. Something basic and quick. The foundry author should categorize their mission and that would enable specific ratings categories. This could then be used to enhance the search engine so that the players can find the missions they want (sometimes all I want is a quick 15-20min shoot-em-up; other times, like last night, I went for a 90+minute episode by AJStoner - which I really enjoyed - often though I wind up wasting endless time trying to find a mission that suits my mood/time/etc..).
I think you're right, and I think Cryptic could help us do this by putting a bunch of checkboxes on the opening page such as type of enemies, dialogue heavy or not, ground combat, space combat, etc. The author checks whichever boxes that apply to the mission. The search then uses that to help players refine their searches to find what they're looking for more easily.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Looking for a Foundry mission for your Romulan character? Look no further!
Empire Veteran
# 48
12-30-2012, 04:05 AM
From a player's perspecive, I like these.

1. From my perspective, the "Foundary" was created because Cryptic was too lazy to build new content.

2. Every foundary "story" mission I've tried has bugged out. Wasting 45 minutes and getting nothing because a chat dialog or a map transition didn't display is NOT fun.

3. The simple grinding missions (I like "KDF Battle Royale", battleship version) are the only foundry missions that are currently worth my time.
Ensign
# 49
12-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Nah, Foundry is something unique in current MMO scene, its a good idea to involve players and it states quite big balls to keep it on track as it is in an F2P MMO. Technically it surely would have been easier to simply add missions than to create and maintain the Foundry.For me this is the main reason playing STO.

There are buggy stories out there, right. It is quite annoying too to have 90% of a 1hr mission done and then bummer with one of the last objectives. Even if - like in most cases this happened to me - the author reacted promptly and ironed out the bugs.

I use grind missions too - for the grind. Lots of ppl do, so do the numbers tell. I dont see a Foundry specific problem in that. If Foundry is able to deliver great grind scenarios and great story lines - perfect.

As well ... I cant understand the problem the OP has with grind missions.
Captain
# 50
12-30-2012, 09:23 AM
The OP's major problem he started the post with was he didn't like the idea of a Foundry Mission designed so that the player didn't do anything, just sat there as his Boffs fought for him and he couldn't aid.

It's looking pretty tremulous now but there are three major stances, I think, that are forming.
-People who think every foundry mission should have some kind of story and interaction and not designed solely to replace "console clickers",
-People who don't mind the grinders so long as their makers put some polish into them and that they don't block access to seeing new foundry story missions,
-And people who think the only purpose for the foundry is the Investigate Officer Reports rewards.