Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 21
12-31-2012, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresincebeta View Post
They ALSO are the only hard counter to the invisible STF torpedos... they are really a must-have skill for any ship (along with Tactical Team and Hazard Emitters)
Negative. I never die from them (aside from when I'm just bad and fail to shoot them down) and I never run repulsors. The invisible heavy torps don't exist as far as I can tell(or are ridiculously rare or have something to do with a specific hardware profile), and they haven't for over a year now. Most people are getting hit with invisible plasma torps (non-targetable) and assuming they are heavy torps.

Every time I see a vid of someone dying from heavy torp, it's cause they were tunnel vision and didn't see the damn thing
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 333
# 22
12-31-2012, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruinsfate View Post
Please add at least one of the following to the tholian weapon shut off power:

- MUCH longer cooldown
- Removable by more powers (Tac/Sci/Eng Team, Hazard Emitters)- Most prefered option: Adds an immunity, similar to phaser subsystem proc.

Currently, it is EXTREMELY frustrating to do a tholian alert, have my guns shut off, use a weapon battery, and have it happen AGAIN, to sit there for another 10 secs + unable to do anything while having my shields ripped off and all of their other annoying abilities.

Tholian red alerts lost a lot of fun because of this ability. They are VERY frustrating to do.
I might agree with the teams fixing more disables (TT/weapons ET/engines ST/shields) but beyond that it's the only thing keeping those squishy tholian ships alive for more than a few seconds, a properly built escort on full spread can absolutely devestate a typical tholian group before they know what happened (combine CSV2 with TS3 on a well speced escort with APO3 and see how many tholians are left)
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,563
# 23
12-31-2012, 09:33 AM
I think for some folks, this wouldn't be a problem if RMC just fixed your shut off weapons like it is supposed to.

Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,099
# 24
12-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Red Matter Cap seems to work only when it wants to. I usually only get one subsystem offline clear out of it in the rare Tholian Red Alerts I manage to get into.

Agreed on needing timer for subsystem disable immunity from the torp procs. My Team abilities are usually in cooldown thanks to running Tac Team most of the time, so I'm limited to weapons batt, Red Matter Cap, and Miracle Worker... and those can only keep my weapons online for a second or three when under heavy fire.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10
# 25
12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Or they can leave it as is because it's balanced, and you just learn to sit there and fume until your weapons come back online.

They have all that CC and stalling ability because tholian ships are squishy compared to other ships. We would slaughter them if they didn't have all that infuriating CC. As is, we slaughter them anyways.
I totally agree with you.Its not fun stay disabled for more than half of the fight and even dies sometimes for trash mobs like that.
I can extend your demand to those borg cubes and their non stop torpedo launchers and the borg ***** it self,beside all non-cooldown and op skills they give to her a built in acent assimilator,and you dont have even a damn warning when she gonna use to stop toattack her and not suicide and not kill your entire team,hive space is just a pain with no loot or accolades.
Leanrr to program the encounters dammit.tholians and the borgs are just annoying as they are now,not challenging.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 26
12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4injin View Post
I totally agree with you.Its not fun stay disabled for more than half of the fight and even dies sometimes for trash mobs like that.
I can extend your demand to those borg cubes and their non stop torpedo launchers and the borg ***** it self,beside all non-cooldown and op skills they give to her a built in acent assimilator,and you dont have even a damn warning when she gonna use to stop toattack her and not suicide and not kill your entire team,hive space is just a pain with no loot or accolades.
Leanrr to program the encounters dammit.tholians and the borgs are just annoying as they are now,not challenging.
I think you quoted the wrong post, since every point you just made in this rather... difficult to read response went against everything I just said.

I still stand by what I said though. Leave em as is, if they didn't have this ability, they would be too easy. I mean a full group of well built escorts can wipe out support fleets faster than they can get weapons offline, and if you a properly built cruiser paying attention, they can keep their own weapons online, and also keep other ships weapons online.

Another tip: don't bother with your tactical teams. The tholians use phased tetryon weapons, so your shields will be gone pretty quickly anyways. And their BAs and torps don't do enough damage to warrant needing to re-distribute quickly. Instead, focus more on ET, since it can bring subsystems back online, and WAIT on your EPtW, only hitting it when you lose your weapons. After I started doing this, my damage output against the Tholians practically quadupled, since my weapons weren't offline for nearly as long.

And if you are attacking the Tarantulas, expect to not have weapons real often, since their BFAW also procs SST. But they are the capital group, so of course they won't be easy. Your best bet would be to have an oddy or bort aggro the whole group, then you have the rest of the team pick one of the tarantulas, isolate it, CC it, and kill it, then repeat with the other one, then finish off the enemy fleet.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,019
# 27
12-31-2012, 05:09 PM
I have a plan to "fix" this problem...

Take an Orb Weaver or Recluse into PvP a few times. Arm it with 2x Thermionic torpedoes, and find a BOff/DOff combination that allows HY Torp & the thermionics to be firing at approx. global cooldown (aka the minimum wait) speed.

High Yield thermionics have a 100% proc rate, and hopefully the highly-reduced rates will chain them enough to provide near continuous lockdown (much like how it would be in a Tholian PvE combat). We know that once an imbalance is detected in PvP, a fix is applied within 2 weeks of the problem being "identified"...
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 559
# 28
12-31-2012, 05:12 PM
In regards to the Tholian Red Alert, every time it pops up and I click on it I find myself transported to the site only to be sent off immediately again! What gives? I accepted the mission but have yet to actually get to play it!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 29
01-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Get a full load of batteries and a couple of emergency power to x with an eng team if you fly a cruiser. Tholians are interesting enemies because they offer a different challenge. It's not a race to tanking asin borg stfs, it's a race to keep your ship working. You just need to adapt your build a bit, and most people fail because they never get that. They have ONE build (preferably an old one they feel comfortable with), and they expect it to work everywhere, in every situation. But there's a reason why the game allows us to carry so many boffs. Of course it's not free but with some time you can buy enough boff slots to get a nice roster.

Last edited by diogene0; 01-01-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 400
# 30
01-01-2013, 05:51 PM
QFT...and that is how one learns to adapt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Get a full load of batteries and a couple of emergency power to x with an eng team if you fly a cruiser. Tholians are interesting enemies because they offer a different challenge. It's not a race to tanking asin borg stfs, it's a race to keep your ship working. You just need to adapt your build a bit, and most people fail because they never get that. They have ONE build (preferably an old one they feel comfortable with), and they expect it to work everywhere, in every situation. But there's a reason why the game allows us to carry so many boffs. Of course it's not free but with some time you can buy enough boff slots to get a nice roster.

Task Force Zulu--Back to Duty X4 SB T1.5, Tac 2, Eng 1 & Sci 1.
Subscribe to STO--1546+ days
LTS Since December 2011
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:45 PM.