Lieutenant
# 1 Some Balancing Issues
12-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Ok, as I get into the Admiralty, I really began to notice some imbalances to the gear. The first issue is rifles and pistols. I noticed that pistols are stronger than rifles, and that is not what it should be. I believe the consensus here is that pistols have shorter range and thusly are more powerful and rifles have longer range and thusly are weaker. In reality, and even in conjunction with the shows, if pistols were really that much stronger, no one in Starfleet would really use a rifle unless they were sniping. In that case they'd choose a sniper rifle over a compression rifle etc.

The power comes from the size of the bullet, or in this case, the Prefire Chamber. Pistols would be less powerful because the Prefire Chamber would be smaller, but its the emitter that would determine range, as well. Likewise, a rifle would have a better emitter than a pistol. Not to mention that a minigun (I guess that's STO's version of a Type IV phaser rifle, or Pulse Cannon (this is what you saw Worf using on the Argo on Nemesis)) could really blow crap up. If you look it up, the reason why it is a pulse cannon is because it was soooo powerful it would damage the emitter if fired as a beam. I don't know what part of Cryptic thinks that just because the weapon shoots pulses that it be weaker. It shoots in pulses because the weapon is so powerful. Pulses do not lower the power of a weapon, just how it is delivered. If I delivered a chocolate bar in a thousand pieces versus a whole one, both would be the same amount, just in a difference form.

So in essence, a pistol should be weaker than a rifle, and assault miniguns should be one of the most powerful weapons out there.

Prefire Chamber This will explain, roughly, on how phasers work. It's not referencing personal weapons, but personal weapons work in similar fashion to that of the space weapons. They just use different and smaller parts. Same concept.

While it is just a game, imbalances bother me. Really, I know that if I were to fully compare the shows and movies to the game, the game is LARGELY imbalanced. Space and ground fights would be much easier, although it be a challenge if it were that easy (one hit kills and all). It just involve more tactics to not get killed over buffs and debuffs.
Primary Character: Ramin
Ship: U.S.S. Versailles (Assault Cruiser: Strategic Ops/Support)
Specialty: Tactical, long range/assault
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
12-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Miniguns shoot Tiny charges (and lots of them)

its like the difference between an M16a2 and an elephant gun

one is "spray and pray" and the other is a bullet capable of killing elephants

a Rapid fire weapon needs to be weaker because of kinetic response (the gun kicks) when firing bullets

phaser pistols are more potent than phaser rifles because the beam loses power over distance (as do all beams)

take a torch outside in the dark
shine it at a wall 5 feet away
now shine it at a wall 50 feet away

And no one uses a Rifle in starfleet unless war has been declared
Captain
# 3
12-30-2012, 12:01 PM
i think this imbalance originated from the old ground combat mechanic...mobs had way more HP, and the exploit - expose mechanic and flanking really were something necessary. Also high crit guns were good, since you could really hurt an exposed and flanked enemy. Now it doesn't matter, 2 shots at most and the mob is down. There are still exceptions of course.

weapons are across the board all nearly the same, some are still preferable over others...shotgun, sniper rifle...because they have unique mechanics.
personally i like the compression pistols, it has the highest dps on both fire modes.
Go pro or go home
Lieutenant
# 4
12-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Miniguns shoot Tiny charges (and lots of them)

its like the difference between an M16a2 and an elephant gun

one is "spray and pray" and the other is a bullet capable of killing elephants

a Rapid fire weapon needs to be weaker because of kinetic response (the gun kicks) when firing bullets

phaser pistols are more potent than phaser rifles because the beam loses power over distance (as do all beams)

take a torch outside in the dark
shine it at a wall 5 feet away
now shine it at a wall 50 feet away

And no one uses a Rifle in starfleet unless war has been declared
At a 1 km range (that's a 100 football fields and almost another), yeah, a beam rifle would loose power, and would never hit its target. But 10-15 meters isn't really a distance for any phaser, and would lose very little power and not even be worth measuring. A powerful enough laser would also be able to hit at that range without losing a whole lot of power. But take a standard laser pointer. At 10 meters, it would loose power. Ok, miniguns, yeah I see your point there. Now that I think about it, a minigun on STO is different from your typical pulse cannon (or a Type IV Rifle).
Primary Character: Ramin
Ship: U.S.S. Versailles (Assault Cruiser: Strategic Ops/Support)
Specialty: Tactical, long range/assault
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
12-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Quote:
At a 1 km range (that's a 100 football fields and almost another), yeah, a beam rifle would loose power, and would never hit its target. But 10-15 meters isn't really a distance for any phaser, and would lose very little power and not even be worth measuring.
Depending on atmosphere , gravity , weather etc

Quote:
A powerful enough laser would also be able to hit at that range without losing a whole lot of power.
actually lasers are RUBBISH in atmosphere they bend in water vapour , disipate in smoke etc

Quote:
But take a standard laser pointer. At 10 meters, it would loose power. Ok, miniguns, yeah I see your point there. Now that I think about it, a minigun on STO is different from your typical pulse cannon (or a Type IV Rifle).
the pulse weapons have a lot more power than the pistols and can even deliver knock back (in defiance of the laws of physics)
Captain
# 6
12-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
actually lasers are RUBBISH in atmosphere they bend in water vapour , disipate in smoke etc
that is true, but considering a weaponable laser would need to be significantly more powerfull than any lab laser, atmospheric conditions at a range of 1 km or more should not in anyway effect it. Otherwise it would be worthless.
Also lasers are allways inferior to kinetic weapons, the way they are used to shoot down missiles is probably the only sensible way to use them as weapons.

the knockback effect could be the result of spontaniously vaporizing tissue, that erupts through the small opening the laser delivered, but i think that could not be a strong knockback effect anyway.
Go pro or go home