Rihannsu
# 21
12-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Quote:
The soldier is the ultimate bully and coward. He believes might makes right and hides behind the pretense of 'honor' to hide the evil inherent in his claim
"You speak of freedom and of peace? the soldier gave you both."
Answer to a vietnam protestor from a US army major
Agreed. If you want peace you need to fight for it.
Quote:
Quote:
Honor is meaningless. Doing the right thing is what counts. It also has nothing to do with being a soldier......
it has everything to do with it
A good soldier is fighting for his people his friends and his neighbours
Agreed.
Quote:
he fights with honour , discipline and courage
And he respects his enemy.
Respect? Why respect the guy you're about to kill?

If you're going to kill someone in battle, take them out as quickly as possible. If that means stabbing them in the back, so be it.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Section-31 is a requirement in a cold and unforgiving universe, the Federation is an organisation where everything seems perfect inside it's borders but on the outside it is fighting against powers that would destroy everything that it had worked so hard to achieve. Section-31 protects the existence of the Federation.

I loved the Section-31 episodes in DS9, what I didn't love was how we were expected to side with Bashir's ethic's, they didn't make sense especially during a war and were just completely naive which is what Sloan had to regularly point out.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound

Last edited by thomas12255; 12-31-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
12-31-2012, 12:31 PM
There isn't a single country past, present or future that does not have some form of organization that is outside of the government that can act on the interests of that government when buy law or other restrictions the government can not act directly.

In the case of Star Trek Section 31 is actually very overly common knowledge, but that's because it's a show/movie. In real life there would be extremely few people that knew of the organizations existence and ever less about the inner workings.
Captain
# 24
12-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Depends on the truth

"yes your bum does look big in that" or "No im afraid the cancer is terminal you have NO hope"
I'd still want the truth regardless.

Quote:
nah
Small place near Egypt is the one making the threats
but politics so better not
All I can say, is Team America: World Police is not just a movie

Quote:
But he did order gas attacks on Kurds
and commit many other sins (including hiding while comrades died )
Nothing compared to Addie though...

Quote:
OPENLY not covertly
Absolutely, I never thought otherwise...

Quote:
actually it does
had he not been caught he would have let them die
Which could be said for any soldier carrying out their orders... While I can't deny that he was indeed saving his own life in the process, he still saved other lives, rather than simply letting the bomb go off and taking his chances...

Quote:
the UK will never be a dictatorship while it has a monarchy and an army

the USA might have problems due to the financial cliff
All it would take would be enough of a civil uprising for the royal family to be dealt with French/Russian-style, and a few major politicians to be taken out, and it could happen... The way things're going at the moment with cutbacks on disability benefits, I think it's only the fact that we're not allowed private ownership of handguns which is keeping the Prime Minister alive...

As for the USA, I don't want to sound like a tin-foil hatter (but I have friends who are) and things in CONUS are starting to look very scary from here in the 51st State... Ever-increasing measures of surveillance of the citizenry by Homeland Security, FEMA camps being established all across the country, and enough terrible public shootings to get people considering giving up their 2nd amendment rights, things are definitley not looking good for the 'land of the free'...

Quote:
rules and regulations are not the be all and end all
I agree, hence why I feel that if someone is given unjust orders, or the Leadership are corrupt, the officer has the duty to act against them (much like you feel that Dougherty's attache and staff should've turned against him... I agree with the sentiment, I just don't feel those were unjust orders, but we have had that conversation before )

Last edited by marcusdkane; 12-31-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Captain
# 25
12-31-2012, 01:09 PM
This is getting a bit political again.
We here (England) are nowhere near a dictatorship, it would take a hell of a lot to ever even approach that area.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Depends on the truth

"yes your bum does look big in that" or "No im afraid the cancer is terminal you have NO hope"

I'd still want the truth regardless.
I didn't
they told me I was diabetic and ruined my bloody life
(Id rather have died)

Quote:
Quote:
nah
Small place near Egypt is the one making the threats
but politics so better not

All I can say, is Team America: World Police is not just a movie
no its also a comic book and a rather good album

Quote:
Quote:
But he did order gas attacks on Kurds
and commit many other sins (including hiding while comrades died )

Nothing compared to Addie though...
Had the allies LOST the war Churchill would be treated the same in literature and movies
the winner writes the historys

Quote:
Quote:
OPENLY not covertly

Absolutely, I never thought otherwise...
then we can agree on that

Quote:
Quote:
actually it does
had he not been caught he would have let them die

Which could be said for any soldier carrying out their orders... While I can't deny that he was indeed saving his own life in the process, he still saved other lives, rather than simply letting the bomb go off and taking his chances...
yep
COWARD

Quote:
Quote:
the UK will never be a dictatorship while it has a monarchy and an army

the USA might have problems due to the financial cliff

All it would take would be enough of a civil uprising for the royal family to be dealt with French/Russian-style, and a few major politicians to be taken out, and it could happen...
not on my watch
Remember the french have come to rue the day
and the Russians didn't get them all

Quote:
The way things're going at the moment with cutbacks on disability benefits, I think it's only the fact that we're not allowed private ownership of handguns which is keeping the Prime Minister alive...
you want him gone?
Vote him out

Quote:
As for the USA, I don't want to sound like a tin-foil hatter (but I have friends who are) and things in CONUS are starting to look very scary from here in the 51st State... Ever-increasing measures of surveillance of the citizenry by Homeland Security, FEMA camps being established all across the country, and enough terrible public shootings to get people considering giving up their 2nd amendment rights, things are definitley not looking good for the 'land of the free'...
Cheer up homeland security are a bloody joke (they are about as much use as the warmington on sea home guard)

Quote:
Quote:
rules and regulations are not the be all and end all

I agree, hence why I feel that if someone is given unjust orders, or the Leadership are corrupt, the officer has the duty to act against them (much like you feel that Dougherty's attache and staff should've turned against him... I agree with the sentiment, I just don't feel those were unjust orders, but we have had that conversation before )
an illegal order MUST be disobeyed

Quote:
Respect? Why respect the guy you're about to kill
?

yes as he respects you

Quote:
If you're going to kill someone in battle, take them out as quickly as possible. If that means stabbing them in the back, so be it.
bad move
then his side will do the same to you

face him
fight with honour and respect
and if he surrenders treat him according to the laws of war
Captain
# 27
12-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
This is getting a bit political again.
We here (England) are nowhere near a dictatorship, it would take a hell of a lot to ever even approach that area.
As I said, enough of an uprising, and I can see it happening. Look at how Atos are targeting the disabled... If there was still private ownership of handguns, I wouldn't've been surprised if someone hadn't taken a shot at Cameron and Osbourne by now...
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Why cameron??

The ATOS thing is a labour issue

Actually what the uk needs most is a NEW party of government

perhaps one which recognises that Trade unions should not have ANY say in leadership and that the European union is a bad idea
Rihannsu
# 29
12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
face him
fight with honour and respect
and if he surrenders treat him according to the laws of war
That sort of approach only works in ritualized duels of honor. Actual war? nuh-uh...

RIP Twinkies....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 30
12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
We didn't vote the Tories in they got in due to not enough votes for Labour and the spineless Lib Dems. Just look at the reaction Osbourn got at the Olympics.
As for all the stuff about honour. The goal is winning, at any cost that isn't bring you down with the enemy is a good cost.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.