Captain
# 11
12-29-2012, 01:15 PM
360 Degree turn is beyond Cryptics abilities...

They hide behind a series of elaborate, but ultimately flawed, series of excuses to hide it, but in the end... They can't do it.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 12
12-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
The main problem in all sci-fi is applying up/down that we (except some few fighter pilots) experience everyday of our entire life.

In space there is no up/down - but it is almost always portrayed that was in movies/shows as it would be too confusing to most people.

I bet that most people don't know that the space shuttle spent most of its orbit with the "top" side pointed toward the earth - ie upside down - and only rolls over completely when making re-entry.
This is basically what I was trying to say.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 13
12-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Straight up and straight down would be nice, but no upside down.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Commander
# 14
12-29-2012, 01:37 PM
The added the 360 flight ability into BSGO and everyone hated it. You get stuck upside down or backwards, Yery hard to PVP dogfight when you cant get your horison line set and your flipped around backwards. its very easy to get disorientated
Commander
# 15
12-29-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't want a full 360-degree pitch movement, but 180- would be pretty awesome. Even 178-, to give a degree restriction on each side. It's super-annoying to have to do a big spiral to get to something that is outside of the restricted angles - and it isn't just Foundry missions that do this; some of the Cryptic missions do this too:

-The first Fehl'kri mission has one of the anomalies right on top of another.
-At least one of the sector patrols has mobs at different places on the z-axis, with close ones more than 45-degrees off the x-y plane.
-One of the Cardassian patrols has this; my ship is at maximum depression, with the asteroid belt at only a slightly smaller angle; and as we know, the mobs like to hid in the asteroids, sometimes above, but sometimes below, and this gives us no real room to do anything besides charge right at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admgreer View Post
The added the 360 flight ability into BSGO and everyone hated it. You get stuck upside down or backwards, Yery hard to PVP dogfight when you cant get your horison line set and your flipped around backwards. its very easy to get disorientated
This is dumb. Space combat games have had full movement for years, from X-Wing all the way to Freelancer and beyond. People played all those games with only a minimum of problems. There's no horizon in space, so there's no need to align with it. If there is a proper up-down orientation in the game, there should be some auto-roll-correct function (if not, that's bad game design; even STO does this sorta with the ship customizer).
Career Officer
# 16
12-29-2012, 10:31 PM
The actual reason given by Cryptic, was that a large percentage of the space battles seen in Trek have always been pretty much face to face and right-side up...

At the time the game was created, it was felt that this orientation was the most canon way to do it.

As a speculation, it most likely cut several months of development time off the final product by doing it this way...

They were on a very tight time table for completion.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Captain
# 17
12-29-2012, 11:01 PM
There is no reason at all why they couldn't remove the pitch limit without any major problems, it wouldn't be disorienting since you aren't "in the cockpit" and even if you invert the ship it will auto right itself anyway the minute you release the controls, as it is right now you have to waste a lot of maneuvering just to get at a target that is below or above you and doesn't seem bound by the same rules you are in the directions it can move.
I realize, it's Star Trek, North pole is up, South pole is down and when you orbit a planet you do it perpendicular to the surface when you are parallel to the equator, but still it's space.
A Defiant being able to do a barrel roll reversal flying straight up and flipping over to end up flying in the opposite direction is exactly how a Defiant is supposed to be able to fly.
Republic Veteran
# 18
12-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Do a barrel roll

“confession is good for the soul”

Captain
# 19
12-29-2012, 11:47 PM
I personally would like to be able to angle the ship at a steeper angle when going up/down. This is for two reasons: One, it helps with multi-level areas that have enemies on more than one relative 'plane'. Two, it will keep players from resorting to the cheap 'spiral' maneuver that keeps them out of people's firing arcs in PvP. Even in a BoP, I have trouble keeping up with people who hit evasive or Omega and have experience with this cheap trick of the game mechanics. Enabling a steeper angle of climb/dive would make it much harder to pull this off.
Lieutenant
# 20
12-30-2012, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
This isn't going to happen, and honestly, I can see why. Flightsims require a very specific set of spacial awareness and planning that not everyone possess. We live on a planet with very clear definitions of up and down. It is so hard for people to get rid of that feeling, that there are even very clear definitions of up and down in fiction, even when it makes no logical sense.

TL;DR Play Decent. You will learn what I mean very quickly.
Yet do imagine for a moment Star Trek Online with combat as deep and cool as the one in Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

I will leave a minute of silence for what could have been.

As a small aside I do want to add space combat and dogfight games like Freespace, Starlancer, etc, have been doing this since the genre does exist and no one was hurt other than by the really good players' enormous ego.

Last edited by foschiadanzante; 12-30-2012 at 01:56 AM.