Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 355
# 41
01-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
That's right. Just 3 points into Power Insulators gives you a 27% drain resistance. [...] That's a lot.
But if anyone were to do that, they'd have fewer points to put towards a min/max "optimized" build that focuses exclusively on damage/healing/tanking/whatever and therefore makes them susceptible to rock-paper-scissors mechanics.

Clearly, that is broken and must be fixed, by making anything that counters min/max setups worthless.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,134
# 42
01-02-2013, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodrim View Post
But if anyone were to do that, they'd have fewer points to put towards a min/max "optimized" build that focuses exclusively on damage/healing/tanking/whatever and therefore makes them susceptible to rock-paper-scissors mechanics.

Clearly, that is broken and must be fixed, by making anything that counters min/max setups worthless.
not really, depends highly on what you skill. for instance if you skill some very specific, or worthless skills like: driver coil, repair subsystems, starship stealth, etc.
also more than 6 points is only viable in a few skills. the last 3 hardly are worth the investment, especially in the higher tiers where you need to spend 7500 to 9000 skillpoints for a negligable improvement.

taking this measures into account you have enough points to spend without losing out on anything vital.

it is baffeling to me how people can skill driver coil or stealth and then claim they didn't have enough points for skills i would call obligatory no matter what class you play.
Go pro or go home
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 43
01-03-2013, 08:01 AM
theres no counter to the snb doff, and thats something EVERYONE can get. id rather that get taken care of before the science captains power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,766
# 44
01-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Or you could slot a Medic or Nurse DOff to help offset SNB and boost the Subsystem repair skill. Seems Subsystems now have a use, if only to help with SNB and phaser procs.

I do not know if they help verusus SNB DOffs.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 999
# 45
01-08-2013, 08:43 PM
I am a science captain. I have to survive for two minute stretches in PVP while the captain abilites of of tactical and enginering captains give them the advantage over me.

I have to rely on my boff abilities to brake a tank, and my boff abilities to tank for me while my oponets have some fantastic captain abilites they can space out in addition to their own boff abilites.

Once every 2 minutes my wait is over and I have the chance either to brake my oponents tank or take away the big blob of damage buffs that are about to tear a new window in my hull.

Tell me, if you take away my subnuclionic beam why shouldnt i re-role an enginear or a tactical captain?

What is the counter to a big blob of damage buffs or a big blob of defencive ones? Currently subnuclionic beam is. What is the counter to sub nuclionic beam? Emergency power to engines. Fly away and come back when you have things off cool down. I will still be waiting for my SubNuc so you shouldnt have a problem with me.

Last edited by pwstolemyname; 01-08-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 374
# 46
01-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwstolemyname View Post
I am a science captain. I have to survive for two minute stretches in PVP while the captain abilites of of tactical and enginering captains give them the advantage over me.

I have to rely on my boff abilities to brake a tank, and my boff abilities to tank for me while my oponets have some fantastic captain abilites they can space out in addition to their own boff abilites.

Once every 2 minutes my wait is over and I have the chance either to brake my oponents tank or take away the big blob of damage buffs that are about to tear a new window in my hull.

Tell me, if you take away my subnuclionic beam why shouldnt i re-role an enginear or a tactical captain?

What is the counter to a big blob of damage buffs or a big blob of defencive ones? Currently subnuclionic beam is. What is the counter to sub nuclionic beam? Emergency power to engines. Fly away and come back when you have things off cool down. I will still be waiting for my SubNuc so you shouldnt have a problem with me.
you sir understand far greater than most of these escort captains the importance of Subnucleonic Beam, it amazes me how people always seem to want to nerf the science captains into non existence.... we have been nerfed enough you wanna not get subnuked then keep a science team handy.... that right there will clear subnuc... yeah I stripped your buffs BIG DEAL your buffs will be off of cooldown long before my Subnuc is ready again.... and don't tell me about how my subnuc is OP when you have escort captains loading 3 subnuc doffs (and I will bet the OP is one of those types) they cry foul when we science captains use the one singular most powerful ability that WE have in our arsenal and we have a 2 minute cooldown on it..... while all of the useful stuff for the other classes have 30 second to 1 minute cooldowns..... so again please STOP trying to kill the science players... L2P and get over it

Tactical Officers are the DPS and Easiest Class in this game to play followed CLOSELY by engineers for ease to play.... but to play a Compitent Science officer it takes dedication and an acceptance that I am not going to put up MASSIVE DPS numbers or MASSIVE healing numbers

so please for the love of all things trek stop trying to nerf the science players.... grow a pair and learn to frakkin g play the game
Major Xi'Zzin
I.R.W. Raptor's Claw
Storm Eagle Class Warbird Fleet Ha'feh
I have never trusted humans, and I never will
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 103
# 47
01-17-2013, 04:18 AM
I personally think the OP got his ass spanked by a Science captain when he thought we were easy targets and blames it all on Sub Nuke.
There is no way you should get your Buffs back by using Science Team, Science Team is an ability to heal shield damage and also clears Sub Nuke, nowhere in its description does it say Will restore all Buffs that you have lost
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 887
# 48
01-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodrim View Post
But if anyone were to do that, they'd have fewer points to put towards a min/max "optimized" build that focuses exclusively on damage/healing/tanking/whatever and therefore makes them susceptible to rock-paper-scissors mechanics.

Clearly, that is broken and must be fixed, by making anything that counters min/max setups worthless.
Rock-Paper-Scissors mechanics are broken? What the hell?

So you want DPS builds to be the only viable builds in the game? Hell no. We have 3 different captains with 3 different ship classes in the game. If someone wants to play Science, then Science should work.

I shouldn't have to fly my ship like its an escort if I want to remain a viable Science captain.

IMO Power Insulators is OP. It's too easy to counter drain mechanics with just a few ranks in this one skill. I think halving the drain resistance it gives would be a step in the right direction.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,442
# 49
01-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodrim View Post
But if anyone were to do that, they'd have fewer points to put towards a min/max "optimized" build that focuses exclusively on damage/healing/tanking/whatever and therefore makes them susceptible to rock-paper-scissors mechanics.

Clearly, that is broken and must be fixed, by making anything that counters min/max setups worthless.

Stop min/maxing for "optimisation" or you fall foul of the chinks in your armor. That is the price you pay for deep specialising.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,617
# 50
01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyama317 View Post
IMO Power Insulators is OP. It's too easy to counter drain mechanics with just a few ranks in this one skill. I think halving the drain resistance it gives would be a step in the right direction.
I feel that instead of nerfing it, because it's still extremely useful even in PvE, it should be moved up a couple ranks. Make people really have to spend some points on it. At least a Captain or Admiral level skill.

Don't change the effectiveness of it. Just make people really have to pay for it (or give up sci console slots for it).

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 AM.