Captain
# 1 NPC space group question
12-29-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm working on my first foundry mission, and I have an NPC ship that is there throughout, and I wanted to know if there was any way that I could get the ship aid the player ship in battle. I noticed through resetting the map that different ships show up each time, so is it possible to make it so that the ship appears each time successfully?
Captain
# 2
12-29-2012, 01:19 PM
I assume you're referring to a friendly Fed ship?

You can reskin it to make its appearance consistently the same, though that won't affect its abilities.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 3
12-29-2012, 01:43 PM
So, if I read that right, I'd have to reskin each "actor" in the group so that when people play it, the ship remains the same. I figured I had to do something like that, but I wanted to be sure.

I suppose when I finally publish my misison, I have to add a note that it's designed for a single player, since I believe the group scales with the number of players that are also in the mission, and having multiple ships of the same name doesn't really suit well.
Captain
# 4
12-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta50024 View Post
So, if I read that right, I'd have to reskin each "actor" in the group so that when people play it, the ship remains the same. I figured I had to do something like that, but I wanted to be sure.

I suppose when I finally publish my misison, I have to add a note that it's designed for a single player, since I believe the group scales with the number of players that are also in the mission, and having multiple ships of the same name doesn't really suit well.
Yes, except you don't have to reskin every single actor. Just the one(s) that spawn with only a single player.

This page is especially useful.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 5
12-29-2012, 04:28 PM
I reccommend reskinning them all since people will group even single player missions and its more of a pain to figure out which is which than to just go through and do them all anyway.
Captain
# 6
12-31-2012, 11:29 PM
Actually, Psycoticvulan gave me a good resource to use which tells me who is the primary actor is for solo players.

And for the record, my mission is designed around having a specific ship that you aid on the mission, and having multiple copies will defeat the purpose of having that one ship.
Captain
# 7
01-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta50024 View Post
Actually, Psycoticvulan gave me a good resource to use which tells me who is the primary actor is for solo players.

And for the record, my mission is designed around having a specific ship that you aid on the mission, and having multiple copies will defeat the purpose of having that one ship.
Something I forgot to add...you have to go by Actor # in the Foundry, not from top to bottom like in the page I linked. What shows as #1 in that page corresponds to the lowest numbered actor in the mob.
-- Q
Career Officer
# 8
01-01-2013, 03:05 PM
One trick you can use is just reskin the main ship as what you want it to be, and then reskin the rest as fighters, or frigates, or whatever. It may end up with a weird ship balance, but at least it won't look like the wrong type of ship.

Oh, and the one group you really need to be careful about is the battleship group, because which ships show up change dramatically with more players. With every other ship group the ship that appears with one player, appears with any number of players. That is not true with the Battleship group. At four or five players when it starts spawning Dreadnoughts, the one player ship no longer appears.

What you need to do for the Battleship group is reskin the first actor number as the ship you want, then reskin the second, third and fourth actor numbers as auxiliary craft (that shows with 2/3/4 players), and then reskin actor 5 and actor 6 as the original craft (they will be visible at 4/5 players, whereas the first actor will not be).

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 01-01-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Career Officer
# 9
01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Put a simpler way, with Battleship groups, reskin the lowest numbered actor, and the two highest numbered actors as the ship you want. Make the rest fillers.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Empire Veteran
# 10
01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Could he also have the unneeded actors spawn in a nearby moon or station and get them stuck in the geometry?