Lt. Commander
# 1 Neutral as 3rd Faction
12-29-2012, 01:23 PM
I've made minor adjustments. People seem to respond better to an independent, rather then a neutral, faction. Thanks paareth

Everyone should start out as Independent.

Then as you progress one can choose a side if they wish, or continue on as an Independent. What is with this picking a side before having all the adequate information present. Thats just bad decision making at its best. Another important point to touch upon is. Some people just want to venture out as traders, merchants, or freelancers without being slapped as FED/KDF and its USS/IKS branding. (Jem'Hadar Attack Ship with USS designation... really?)

Independent is quite simply put the easiest way to implement a 3rd faction.

+There is no need for an overarching storyline.

+ECS and SS ship designation. The latter being unlocked at T5.

+We don't need new episodes tailored for us. Maybe a few diologue changes in the way people affiliate and address us. But for sure the episode rewards that are faction restricted should be available to us.

+We don't need an "independent" capital like ESD is for FED. Because we aren't tied down our capital is which ever center is most popular or easy for us to go to. But if an independent center is needed I propose Ferengar, lol.

+Independent ranks are easier and more simplified:
T1 Ensign or Crewmen
T2 Lt.
T3 Lt. Cmdr
T4 Cmdr
T5 Captain (or DaiMon if the Independent Faction instead becomes the Ferengi Alliance).

+Even ships are easy to implement. T1-T4 ships would be the various lengths of Tuffli with the shortest length being available for T1, and the longest for T4. T5 is the D'Kora.

+Our uniforms would be Off-Duty, no Uniform selection.

The simplicity of this faction comes at a price...

-As shown above, there is only 1 ship type for each tier hence no choice (except if you've acquired other unique ships: jem, galor, breen, etc. that aren't faction bound). This bit is VERY lucrative for Cryptic if they make this faction, hint hint. *nudge nudge*

-The ships aren't geared towards any one career they are simply generic, with the exception of the D'Kora. Such IS the way it is, being independent. The other two factions are "geared" for war. But if backed into a corner you bet your @ss we'll fight!

And before I start seeing posts about how this independent faction is not balanced. Please look at how much attention, content, ships FED has over the KDF. Clearly its not balanced nor will it be. And it isn't about balance with this faction. Its about an independent faction thats... independent *shock* and not tied down for the most part. Unlike KDF who clamor for more content more ships, etc.
If you want balance go make a thread about a Defera Faction and propose balance there, lol.

Last edited by edwarlord; 12-30-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Minor adjustment
Rihannsu
# 2
12-29-2012, 03:30 PM
so you are basically proposing a Ferengi faction, aren't you?

thank you, but for playing neutrals pls install another game. /starfleet academy or whatever

this is a Star Trek game and we do have Factions. The third faction was voted by players to be Romulans, a looong time ago.

Yes, it would be nice, if we COULD start as a normal citizen and decide which faction to enter - after playing through 20 lvls worth of content for every playable race on its own homeplanet, but that would be a totally new game and Cryptic does not have ressources to do so.

lorewise - who would you fight? for what?
even if you say - you would join the forces of one of the factions, then, you would get a designation and would have to obey orders.
or would be the faction bound to DOFFing only?

IF there is EVER going to be a neutral faction, it will be after Romulans, Cardassians and Ferengi, which are the 3 most anticipated Factions here. BTW - you can buy a Tuffli and pretend to be a neutral merchant

Join the premiere Romulan community now!

Last edited by duaths1; 12-29-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Rihannsu
# 3
12-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Ferengi are feds now. :p (technically they're not a member but they might as well be)

I can kinda see a "mercenary" faction working. Especially if we get fun races like the Boslics to play as.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 4
12-29-2012, 03:47 PM
People have brought this up many times in the past and many have suggested a Merchant Faction. That way you don't have to deal with being members where they shouldn't belong.

Pro-Federation side deals with the Ferengi Commerse Authority, and the KDF side are Privateers that deals with the Orion Syndicate.

Missions would be different from PvE, where players start with a basic ship and have to upgrade it over time to earn more money. Go to worlds and establish trade and start getting to know contacts and the items needed on that world. Then over time establish trade routes.

So by the time you hit Tier 5, you have multiple routes that you could take and manage your way into secret dealings were you could get connections in Starfleet or the High Council and haul secret goods that you have to act stealthily. Or deal with the worst of the underground and having to avoid Starfleet or the KDF miltary or face massive fines or jail time.

And a updated Risa could be an important hub for some dealings.

Even the Reputation system could be enhanced where instead of building reputation with 1 faction and maximizing it, you got a choice to go legit and deal with honest goods or deal with contraband.
Captain
# 5
12-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Missions would be different from PvE, where players start with a basic ship and have to upgrade it over time to earn more money. Go to worlds and establish trade and start getting to know contacts and the items needed on that world. Then over time establish trade routes.
This isnt Wing Commander: Privateer ...

Its quite late to go around making inputs on how the game should play, especially when I see being asked is having a game on the lines of Privateer that despite being a excellent game is simply not we have here with STO.

I am going to say this, its getting old the bright ideas of dead end factions that would even more dead that the KDF because the ideas being forward simply do not work well with the existing factions future content expansion meaning they would get nothing from it, they are mini factions with a few ships, a few missions that would have zero growth.

We DONT need a faction that by design would be in a worst state that the KDF currently is.
Captain
# 6
12-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Drop the factions all together in my opinion and use a allegiance system so you basically start the game neutral you have a place that you go to and have one of each faction have a rep there which tells you about the faction what its about and then you choose, you can either ignore choosing and just play neutral but you forfiet missions tailored to each faction or you can join one and if you get bored you can hop alleigance to a different faction by a sorta re-faction token from the zen store perhaps which basically just lets you switch sides which just more or less switches missions you can access and ships.
Captain
# 7
12-29-2012, 04:28 PM
I would really like a neutral faction to basically function as a 'grab bag' of minifactions anyone cares to be -- merchants, traders, mercenaries.

In my wilder imaginings, imagine if Fleets could get various options that open up specific doff assignments, ships, and so on. 'We have a contract with Nausicaans, so we can do some Marauding and buy some of their ships.'

This would also free the devs up to allow Romulans or Gorn Separatists by Fleets just doing their own thing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-29-2012, 04:58 PM
@cptskeeteruk thats a good idea

@zahinder food for thought indeed lol

@duaths1 If they plan on a Neutral faction and are thinking of a good Center for it then yes the Ferengi Alliance. But again I'm trying to make it as easily as possible for Cryptic to impliment. As neutrals we wouldn't really need a center. The center would be where ever there is the most traffic lol.
Captain
# 9
12-29-2012, 05:10 PM
For a neutral faction to have a decent time of trading we would need a non centralized trading enviroment i.e the exchange would have to go and instead there would be local trading areas per sector space i.e ds9 would be independent of prices and stock of say the trading area on esd. This would encourage traders to seek bargains from one area of space to another instead of just being at once exchange spot where everything is in one location. Imo this should be done regardless.
Lieutenant
# 10
12-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaths1 View Post
lorewise - who would you fight? for what?
Anyone. For money.