Ensign
I have Charged Particle Burst. The tooltip says it should do ~1200 shield damage. Been told it has a range of 5 km. Tested it as close as ~3 km. I got no entry in combat log and no visible effect on enemy shields.

Is it bugged or am I doing something wrong?
Captain
# 2
12-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessein View Post
I have Charged Particle Burst. The tooltip says it should do ~1200 shield damage. Been told it has a range of 5 km. Tested it as close as ~3 km. I got no entry in combat log and no visible effect on enemy shields.

Is it bugged or am I doing something wrong?
What the ability does is it fires a spherical charged burst around your ship that extends for 5km. Anything caught in that blast will have cloaking disabled (main purpose of the ability) and it will also have shield damage dealt. Now, the damage won't be that large unless your ship is specced in flow capacitors (ideally through skill points and consoles). Without having your ship specced to use it you will notice a small drop in all of the enemy's facing shields. Also, the ability does not show up in the combat log.
Ensign
# 3
12-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Is the tooltip bugged then? I have no Flow Capacitors skill, but the tooltip says ~1200 damage, which should be noticeable even if there is no entry in combat log or yellow numbers above the enemy ships.
Captain
# 4
12-30-2012, 01:36 PM
What did you try to target? If it was a player then it's possible they had skill points invested in power insulators, which would block most of the damage. Now if it was an NPC such as a borg cube, then you may not have noticed due to the sheer capacity of a facing borg shield. You said you tried it as close as 3km. If it was a smaller ship, then it's possible it moved out of the blast radius before it reached their location.
Ensign
# 5 Combat Logging
04-20-2013, 09:50 PM
This ability has never shown in the combat log. It's been reported on the wiki at http://www.stowiki.org/Ability:_Charged_Particle_Burst. I don't believe your tooltip is bugged, but from using this ability in the past I believe that the secondary shield damage drops off extremely fast with distance.

Personally I would go with photonic shockwave in its place for disables of all things and if you want shield drains, stick to tachyon beam or a tractor beam with a purple doff assigned.

I have had little success for this skill outside of brief usage in Kerrat warzone for locating a wayward cloaked Bird of Prey. Hope this helps.
Captain
# 6
04-21-2013, 07:43 AM
tested both these powers.
complete pants pie if you dont trigger within 3km only any good is killing plasma thy & breaking tractor beams. and honetsly, you are better with tbr & syphon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?
Captain
# 7
04-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Shield drains are not reported in the combat log. Ever. This applies to Charged Particle Burst, Tachyon Beam, Tractor Beam w/ Tractor Beam Shield drain DOff, Tetryon Glider, and Tetryon Weapon procs.

The power is Aux sensitive, and heavily reliant on Flow Capacitors, if you are not loading up on the latter and the skill of the same name, it's only utility will be as an anti-cloak measure. It does not do damage and should not, to the best of my experience, be able to destroy heavy torpedoes.
If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
Captain
# 8
04-21-2013, 05:48 PM
cpb wont kill torps, psw will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?