Survivor of Romulus
just thought i'd throw the idea out (assuming no one else has)

Devs.. any chance in the future we could design ships for races we create?

Failing that we can all have our species use the generic ships (or the deeri looking ones for those who want their races to die.)
Captain
# 2
12-29-2012, 09:37 PM
That would be awesome, but I doubt letting players make their own ships would be easy. You'd need to model the hull, designate where each type of weapon would fire from, designate which parts would light up when the ship activates certain abilities, etc.

I suppose it's possible as a long-term goal, but for the near future I suspect any ship customization would be limited to changing their color and maybe swapping out a few parts (like in costumes).

We can already use the generic ships; they're in NPC Contacts.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 3
12-30-2012, 12:04 AM
What I would like to see in the Foundry regarding ships is single ship "Hero" mobs where you can select any base ship and alter its stats to a degree regarding shields, damage bonuses, etc. It would allow good custom boss fights and alievate the need to stack unrealistic numbers of ship together just to achieve a certain level of difficulty.
Ensign
# 4
12-30-2012, 08:39 PM
I completely agree.

Something that I loved about Star Trek Bridge Commander was that each ship was built with sub-systems linked to specific areas of the ship. So if you wanted to target a weapon - the dorsal phaser emitters, it would fire to a specific location on that vessel. Different for each subsystem. The ability to manually modify a ship's shield, weapon and hull strength/hp accordingly would be a great way to help me with the Xindi Weapon I'm trying to build. ._.
Lieutenant
# 5
12-30-2012, 09:36 PM
What I'd like to see is the ability to customize a ship interior based on a layout. I mean, adding a turbolift off a closed room is a pain, as trying to make it look like it should would mean the hull of the ship cutting through and most certainly making you get stuck if you spawn inside. I guess the intended function of a wall - Lift 02 would be placing it inside another room, but what if you wanted to use that room for something else? I'm creating a mission where you are completely locked out of your own computer and can't use ship functions so its either turbos or jefferies. Oh, that's another thing. Noticed you can't add jefferies as they are not part of the Foundry it looks like. Why not be able to do this? Also it seems that as far as maps go they lack the interior of a lot of ships, and most of the interiors they do have are only one level.
Primary Character: Ramin
Ship: U.S.S. Versailles (Assault Cruiser: Strategic Ops/Support)
Specialty: Tactical, long range/assault
Career Officer
# 6
12-30-2012, 11:03 PM
I'd be happy if they added the ability to set what faction any NPC groups was hostile to, added boss ships, and split the Trueway faction into Dominion and Cardassian (or just added additional separate factions).

We don't really need to be able to individually equip ships, there is enough variation with the ships already in the game. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain if we got that, but I'd be happy with what I posted above.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
12-31-2012, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
I'd be happy if they added the ability to set what faction any NPC groups was hostile to, added boss ships, and split the Trueway faction into Dominion and Cardassian (or just added additional separate factions).

We don't really need to be able to individually equip ships, there is enough variation with the ships already in the game. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain if we got that, but I'd be happy with what I posted above.
I just want some epic looking ships for my custom races but regardless... splitting the dominion and cardassians would be useful

failing that giving us the mirror skin for ships would shut me up for awhile