Lieutenant
# 1 New UI options
11-08-2012, 08:09 PM
I've had an idea for a while on how the UI could be upgraded to something better and I want to bounce it off of you all. I was thinking that what could be done is set things up so that someone who has a second screen, has to be a touch screen, could send the entire UI over to that second screen. Add in some controls for ship/captain movement that are 'clickable' and boom! You now have a way to control the game that is very immersive and like TNG, DS9, and Voyager. See a new enemy show up on your main screen? Target it on the touch screen and start tapping away at abilities and different weapons to start fighting. Need to match scan wave patterns for data-sample grinding? Just tap the controls on the touch screen instead of using the arrow keys. I would love to be able to do this, but don't know what the rest of you all think. So have at it, just please, no flaming or QQing.
Captain
# 2
11-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Oh I would love it if the game had dual monitor support, just to be able to clear all of the minutia off of the main screen
As for touch screen support, I don't know about that, I can get pretty intense on the keyboard, repetitive keyplay would not be a good thing for something as expensive as a touch screen monitor. You might be surprised by how much wear can be generated on a plastic surface just by your fingers alone and LCD monitors are essentially really thin layers of glass in a plastic case, too much pressure equals very bad things.
That said there are modifiable USB gaming keypads that you could layout in a LCARS format to simulate a Star Trek control screen if you want that kind of immersion.
Another problem I can see with a touch screen/pad is the lack of tactile feedback, with a keyboard you at least get the physical confirmation of a button pushed, the game has no option for generating tones with key-presses so you would have to be running a 3rd party app that makes the beeps and blips.

Last edited by maxvitor; 11-09-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Ensign
# 3
12-30-2012, 11:54 AM
What specific usb gaming pads have you tried? I would really be interested in a LCARs formatted second touch screen for control only. That would leave the main screen for tactical. I think this would be a new direction for the game, and more full immersion than ever before.

You would truly be in command of a Star Trek vessel. STNG\Voyager style interface. If they took it to full development, the second LCARs monitor inputs would be multi level programmable and change with the ongoing tactical scenario. Ground, Space, Science, console use at Starbase, etc.

Die hard gamers are hung on tactile buttons because they are using muscle memory only. And they are using advanced key bindings to do more than one thing at a time. A touch only LCARs interface would add a level of difficulty and excitement not found using a conventional keyboard.

Since Touch seems to be the natural evolution for computers today, why not be in front of the curve, instead of playing catch up? my opinion.
Captain
# 4
12-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Have any of you seen the Razer keyboard with the LCD touchpad? I was looking for a mouse and found it on their website. Where the number pad is supposed to be is an LCD that can be used as a touchpad with 10 programmable buttons. Not the same as LCARS, but with macros it could be pretty close. I Kinda want one now, but I don't know how well it would work in STO.

Last edited by bohiap; 12-30-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Captain
# 5
12-31-2012, 01:59 PM
The problems I see with the Razor is 1 it's on the mouse side of the keyboard and 2 it's a trackpad ie a mouse device, so unless it can be programed to act like a keypad rather than a mouse it won't be suitable for what we want to do.
All I've used are various keypads, there were configurable touch surface gamepads out there but I can't seem to find anything recent so it's likely they weren't good sellers. There are touch screen kits that allow you to add a touch screen to an existing monitor, which would be a cheaper solution than buy a touch screen monitor.
Microsoft has come out with their "Surface" Tablet but that's an entire computer, so I guess we'll have to wait for the technology to catch on to see if anyone comes out with it as a discrete device.
I'm currently using a Steelseries Merc Stealth keyboard that has a built in gamepad but it's starting to show it's age so I'm also looking for the next great gamepad.

Last edited by maxvitor; 12-31-2012 at 03:22 PM.