Lt. Commander
I'm curious if this is something that is being considered as a way to breathe a little life back into PVP.

To clarify, I'm talking about a game mode players can join for PVP where there are no groups. Regular game mode as it exists now would still exist of course where groups could join or individuals.

I understand that there are already very few players joining PVP, and creating a second arena seems at first to be counterproductive. I believe there may be many players such as myself who would join up if they knew it would be random teams. For casual PVPers, it just isn't fun to get rolled by premades. Premades of any actual quality or skill don't enjoy rolling pugs either.

In STO, premades are even more powerful than many games. Even a pug of skillful players are at a severe disadvantage against a premade because they haven't coordinated their equipment/skill load out and have pre-formulated strategies.

When players try PVP for the first time a few times and get destroyed by Premades they may just give up and throw in the towel. If they had a "Mercenary" mode where they could learn, and generally win about as many matches as they lost, it could really bring more players into the PVP fold to, who knows, maybe create premades of their own one day with the people they meet in the pug matches and contribute to the high level PVP.

Thanks.
Captain
# 2
12-24-2012, 02:07 AM
jesus... not this again.... -_-

the problem with this is, who then would play in the premade games?

seriously?

this would also mean friends cant play with each other unles they randomly get qu'd together or have to face premades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 3
12-24-2012, 02:15 AM
I wouldn't mind this actually. You could still game it if you timed things right but a true pug queue would be a net positive IMO.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Rihannsu
# 4
12-24-2012, 02:32 AM
OH yes this has not been discussed at nauseam, and no the frontlines aren't already clear to begin with.

Rank based matchmaking and a PUG only thingy would be great addition to PvP. Honestly a new paint layer in any of the arena maps would be great at this point .
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-24-2012, 02:32 AM
Sounds cool. Except premades dont want to fight other premades. Otherwise this wouldnt be an issue. I see premades all the time in the queues even when other premades are in OPVP soliciting for a private match. No one bites. So yes I agree with the OP. Singles only matches without premade teams

Last edited by sonicshower; 12-24-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Commander
# 6
12-24-2012, 02:47 AM
I agree with this idea.Premades are killing the joy of single pvp players.

It could be done easy by copying the code for arena pvp into another map .Call it Single PVP Arena or something and take out the join team button from this map.

It would be a first step and it can be done by a developer in less than a day work .

If it works ok if not it is possible to add some filters later in a second stage.
(not more than one member of a fleet for example )

*Edit 1
This new map can be smaller than actual maps for example 3-3 but it could start even at 1-1 .
It would be fun i think to play randomly and not against groups.
Another way to implement a "true random" map it would be to put the third option "Join Random" beside the actual two (Join/Join Team) .

Last edited by dova25; 12-27-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-24-2012, 06:58 AM
I think a mercenary mode queue would be fun. It also would provide a good opportunity to add another feature that has come up a lot, a cross-faction queue. Making the mercenary mode queue cross faction would also limit the number of new queues that need to be added and the resulting queue fragmentation. Besides, true mercs have no faction but the highest bidder anyway.
# 8
12-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicshower View Post
Sounds cool. Except premades dont want to fight other premades. Otherwise this wouldnt be an issue. I see premades all the time in the queues even when other premades are in OPVP soliciting for a private match. No one bites. So yes I agree with the OP. Singles only matches without premade teams
Yep, you have the same problem with our l33t MWO 8man premades xD Whining that they want they to fight as a team. When they finally have the possiblity back, they are getting their a.s.s.e.s. kicked and are then back to stomping pugs xD
Career Officer
# 9
12-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicshower View Post
There is just so much truth in there that it hurts. Although I wouldn't say that ALL premades in the que are ALSO in OPVP channel ignoring private challenges. Some certainly are. I would bet though that there exists a well known subset that satisfies that statement.

And please bring back the long ago discarded space pvp map. I'm sure it's in the code. Just bring it back. The sheer novelty of a third option after 3 years will surely get it some attention.

Cheers!
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.

Last edited by thissler; 12-24-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Grammar :(
Empire Veteran
# 10
12-24-2012, 09:06 AM
PuGs are destined to be disadvantaged by Premades regardless of how the system is set. Nothing will change that.

Its literaly the difference in definition between a Pick Up Group and a Premade Team.

The PuG has to deal with not being designed specifically to work as a team while the Premade has the advantage of being designed to work as a Team specifically.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.