Captain
# 11
01-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Foundry characters can gain experience and gain levels that way. But it's kinda timeconsuming and not easy....
One thing that they could do to help us out is turn on the doff system inside of the foundry, starting at ensign. At least that way, we could painlessly level our toons while testing our missions.

The better solution would be to let us import a character, or just start our foundry toons out at captain.
Rihannsu
# 12
01-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
One thing that they could do to help us out is turn on the doff system inside of the foundry, starting at ensign. At least that way, we could painlessly level our toons while testing our missions.

The better solution would be to let us import a character, or just start our foundry toons out at captain.
It IS on... It's just that you still have to level to get it, which is hard (I recommend spamming kill target on a map full of Borg). Also, getting to the Academy is a bit difficult. (Tetin has a decent Doff roster, including a Purple Deltan Entertainer)

Personally, I don't understand the purpose of Foundry characters. There is nothing Foundry characters can do that regular characters can't. (Except use kill target) But, Kill Target only works in preview mode, and preview mode only works when testing a Foundry mission. So.... What's the point?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 01-02-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Career Officer
# 13
01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Nagorak, when did this become the case? My experience is kind of skewed because it was like a year after the foundry launched when I really started to make missions with combat. Even then, I don't remember mobs being so easy to kill in the foundry and being so different post-publish. Which update suddenly turned our testing mobs into unreliable test dummies?
If you're talking about needing to test with a real character, it's basically always been that way. It's because your Foundry character is only level 10. Some enemies when scaled up to level 50 become extremely overpowered and just wipe the floor with you. The balance of low level enemies (Klingons, Gorn, etc) at high levels used to be very poor.

At some point, I think with the S6 patch or so, the balance of enemies appears to have improved. It's no longer so drastically out of line. It used to be that a commander 04 group just wiped the floor with you on Elite, and a captain mob was close to impossible without dying numerous times. When I tested most recently it seems to be better-- a challenge, but not a massacre.

All the same, you still should do a final test with a higher level character just to make sure the balance is good. If our Foundry characters were level 50 this would not be necessary. Unfortunately, mine is only about level 15, and newer Foundry authors can't even level their characters because they can't do the starting quest of the game.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 14
01-03-2013, 12:46 AM
More so than the in-foundry tests not being reliable ways of play-testing a mpa, the differences between it and the live game are growing by leaps and bounds. I have spent a few days worth of time working out intricate obect and trigger combinations that functioned perfectly in the Foundry itself but proved utterly unworkable in the live game.
Captain
# 15
01-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
More so than the in-foundry tests not being reliable ways of play-testing a mpa, the differences between it and the live game are growing by leaps and bounds. I have spent a few days worth of time working out intricate obect and trigger combinations that functioned perfectly in the Foundry itself but proved utterly unworkable in the live game.
Can you give us more details here? What types of trigger combinations are unreliable post-publish?