Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 1 one crit to rule them all
12-31-2012, 02:23 AM
it appears this is also effecting FBP, heard the rumor on the opvp chat channel last night.


can we get a second confirmation?

(one crit to rule them all is the issue where if one of the return attacks crit, every return attack from that point in the volly will also crit. this has been confirmed with tric mines. eject warp plasma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?

Last edited by maicake716; 12-31-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 829
# 2
12-31-2012, 02:27 AM
Which what?
Could you elaborate on what you were thinking of actually asking about?
Vice Admiral Kerayz of the Federation of Misfits.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,730
# 3
12-31-2012, 02:29 AM
Yeah, and I've heard of this affecting more things than just certain powers. It seems to be a bug in their entire game.


I think someone mentioned that this happens in their other game too, so it may be engine related.


Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 4
12-31-2012, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
Yeah, and I've heard of this affecting more things than just certain powers. It seems to be a bug in their entire game.


I think someone mentioned that this happens in their other game too, so it may be engine related.
I wouldn't call it a bug so much as design. Almost anything that fires in a cycle does this or at one point did this. The hit/crit/miss roll is calculated at the beginning of a volley and is applicable to all hits associated with that volley. That's why you routinely see crits and misses in strings. Cannons do it, turrets do it, mines do it, torpedo spread *used* to do it (and where ridiculously OP as a result) before they broke the rolls into individual instances. The only thing I'm aware of that hasn't ever operated that way (to my knowledge) is high yield torps.

If I were to hazard a guess as to why they were able to easily fix torp spread but not mines, it would be because someone had the forsight to code torpedoes the ability to be broken up into multiple rolls because of HY, and that same bit of coding groundwork was never laid for mines.

Last edited by xantris; 12-31-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,764
# 5
12-31-2012, 06:36 AM
One Crit to start them all,
One Crit that binds them,
One Crit to buff them all,
and on the target apply them.

If this is truelly tied to the base game mechanics and can not be easily changed then that sucks.

I don't minds Crits, but they should each have thier own % chance of happening and not be a chained event.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.

Last edited by bitemepwe; 12-31-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,672
# 6
12-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Honestly I will disagree that this is broken myself. These weapons only have one roll... honesty if each and every roll of the over time weapons got an independent crit chance roll... the dmg would go up by quite a bit.

In other MMOs... DOT type dmg is not even allowed to crit.

That might a good solution for STO... remove all dots from being able to crit at all... and adjust there dmg properly. (this would go a long way to equalizing the tacs do way more dmg in a sci ship that bothers so many people as well... it would also correct crit chaining issues, and not be a solution that multiplies server load)
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,215
# 7
12-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
it appears this is also effecting FBP, heard the rumor on the opvp chat channel last night.


can we get a second confirmation?

(one crit to rule them all is the issue where if one of the return attacks crit, every return attack from that point in the volly will also crit. this has been confirmed with tric mines. eject warp plasma)
Heh, no wonder I'm having so much fun in my fed cruiser- I eject warp plasma then drop a couple tric mines in the cloud. When ships come out of the cloud, they're HURT !

LOL, CRITical damage.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,348
# 8
12-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
Honestly I will disagree that this is broken myself. These weapons only have one roll... honesty if each and every roll of the over time weapons got an independent crit chance roll... the dmg would go up by quite a bit.

In other MMOs... DOT type dmg is not even allowed to crit.

That might a good solution for STO... remove all dots from being able to crit at all... and adjust there dmg properly. (this would go a long way to equalizing the tacs do way more dmg in a sci ship that bothers so many people as well... it would also correct crit chaining issues, and not be a solution that multiplies server load)
The damage wouldn't go up by quite a bit. The damage would even out. So there would be fewer instances of each dot being critical and many more where there were some instances of some dots being critical.

I mean as it is now it's all or none right? So at exactly the chance of getting that first crit you do superb damage, or you miss and do sub par damage.?

Or is this like some posts suggests that there ARE rolls for each dot, just that the first crit assures that all future rolls would be crits? Because if it is the latter that may indeed be design. In a system where the crit rate was set low, but the reward for critting was very high that might make sense. But if you can manipulate the system to have a good chance of getting a crit straightaway, not so good.

And the more I stare at this, the more I think the idea of removing crits from dots has serious merit. That would fix that right up!
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 9
12-31-2012, 08:11 PM
remember, it does NOT help things that they have introduced several new consoles that increase your crit chance.


this is why this is also becoming more of an issue, before it wasnt so bad. but now that youcan get an extra 9% chance to crit just from consoles.....

-_-
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,671
# 10
12-31-2012, 10:36 PM
i go to a lot of trouble, kinda, to max out at 13.9 before weapon crit chance, which maxes at 19.9 at weapons, don't be touching my ability crits! the only multi crit that realy hurts is FBP3, EWP3, and tric mines. and literally every person has HE, so theres nothing to complain about from EWP!

also for sci ships and cruisers to an extent, weapons damage isn't their primary way of dealing damage. depending on the captain and type, they cant deal weapons damage. ability damage is all they have, having times were its especially effective is sorta needed for them to be effective
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 AM.