Republic Veteran
# 1 Engineer in ground PVP
12-31-2012, 07:35 AM
Hello,

I havent pvp'ed in ground for over two years. However, I am looking to getting back into it. I have heard (through the grapevine) that Engineers in PVP are currently the weakest and not really beneficial at the moment. Ok that is disheartening since I am an engineer. I am wearing Maco MK12 ground set right now. I know that Omega is good because the shield has dodge.
What is the the best set for an engineer (Fed) to wear in ground PVP and why?
Career Officer
# 2
12-31-2012, 08:03 AM
In Ground PvP/PvE, Engineers are great. Space is another matter entirely.

Full M.A.C.O. is probably the way to go for the extra shield recharge.

You'll probably want a Fabrication Kit to go with that.

Engineers' greatest strength in Ground combat is the ability to lay down a lot of independently controlled firepower.

The ability to simultaneously throw down a Turret, Mortar Launcher, Support Drone, Combat Drone and a Medical or Shield Fabrication can deal some serious dmg to multiple targets. Throw in a few Fabrication Doff's and you can have 2 Turrets, 2 Launchers and 2 Drones out at once. Toss in an Orbital Strike for good measure as it does serious damage now; not the joke it once was. Use Cover Shield and let your pets do all the work while you snipe from relative safety.
Captain
# 3
12-31-2012, 11:01 AM
If you like to roll the dice the other option is to go 3x diagnostic engineer doffs. When all 3 proc you will get a massive damage boost with good uptime. Like lulzworthy damage. Then you're running weapons malfunction and fuse armor and the spammable shield heal. The support drone can also proc the damage buff when it uses equipment diagnostics on you but it's not super reliable.

Basically if you like to gamble it's a fun style. When you get all 3 you're the man, otherwise you're hoping the Tac on your butt isn't immune to fuse armor so you can run away.
Lieutenant
# 4
12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
If you like to roll the dice the other option is to go 3x diagnostic engineer doffs. When all 3 proc you will get a massive damage boost with good uptime. Like lulzworthy damage. Then you're running weapons malfunction and fuse armor and the spammable shield heal. The support drone can also proc the damage buff when it uses equipment diagnostics on you but it's not super reliable.

Basically if you like to gamble it's a fun style. When you get all 3 you're the man, otherwise you're hoping the Tac on your butt isn't immune to fuse armor so you can run away.
Not sure how to say this without getting banned, but i want it fixed so here goes. There is a bug or whatever with the 3 diagnostic engineers. I shouldn't say that, because they work fine(if somewhat unreliable), but you can kit switch to gain truly absurd damage if you have multiple Equipment Technician kits. Just cycle through a few of the kits to reduce the cooldown on equipment diagnostics, and blamo, say hello to an engineer with way more firepower then a tac. Combo it with a cold gun, or timely orbital strike and yeah..needs fixing asap.
Commander
# 5
12-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Don't go full MACO. Either use full Omega, or the Omega shield and the MACO 2set.
Captain
# 6
12-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Engineers are not useful enough to fight effectively against a serious team with serious tactics.

Tactical Officers can buff up, duck out of cover, take a shot, and get back under cover before being focused down, and Science officers running Physicist can duck out of cover, pop off a power, take cover, and repeat, without exposing themselves for more than a second at a time. Medics are useful hiding behind a corner and healing the team. Engineers, however, need a certain amount of time under to make themselves fully useful - generally speaking, to fuze armor and weapon malfunction a target, for tacs or scis to drop, although also for other things, like deploying mines and bombs, or calling down an Orbital Bombardment. If they cannot do this, they can still contribute, but not as much as an equally skilled tac or sci. Unfortunately, as the game stands, tactical officers can throw so much focused damage against a single target at a moment's notice that an engineer cannot sustain it for long enough to be useful, even running a fully tanking setup.

Now with the Romulan kits and the tacs gaining Motion Accelerator in the Fire Team kit the ability of the Engineer to slowdown a tact with Fuze Armor becomes useless and everytime they're more useless, but don't get me wrong, this only happens in a situation with serious teams with serious tactics, and not in the standard pug game of everyday. You can do gamage, you can tank, but remember, a tact or a sci can do that better.
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Lieutenant
# 7
12-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Yep engineers are the poor mans class of the game, roll them for hardcore or nerfed mode only . Seems so obvious yet goes unfixed.

I play them but I am also leveling a sci now as it can do much more for the group than my engineer can.
Ensign
# 8
01-01-2013, 01:18 AM
Our best guy is an engineer, he gets more damage and kills than anyone elso on both teams. Don't listen to the negative talk about engineers, as these same PvP fleets use them all the time. An engineer can drop 3 Mortars at once and with a Tac on the team Tactical Initiative will make those mortars fire very fast and can reach most of the map, even around walls.