Lt. Commander
# 1 Nerve tonic? Really?
12-28-2012, 08:06 AM
It's the 23rd Century not the 19th, alcohol wouldn't be used as a "nerve tonic".
Career Officer
# 2
12-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by princedimwit View Post
It's the 23rd Century not the 19th, alcohol wouldn't be used as a "nerve tonic".
Well, I too would question the need to use alcohol - the DS9 episode "Paradise Lost" explicitly stated that Bolian tonic water had a calming effect on the nervous system.

Though I guess one could assume that, in the context in which we're discussing it, the person wishing to consume the beverage in question was simply using 'calm the nerves' as an excuse to consume some booze!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Captain
# 3
12-28-2012, 08:15 AM
I especially miss the "punch this guy"-option in almost every dialoge of this game when it comes to playing a KDF character. This would create a lot of immersion for KDF
Captain
# 4
12-28-2012, 08:17 AM
If its Scotty it will be used forever
And knowing TOS, it makes sense. (if it where the 25th Century, it should be different)
Captain
# 5
12-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Your crystal ball is that good that you can predict exactly what society is going to do in a fictional universe?
Lieutenant
# 6
12-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Yeah, it's not like TOS ever had Alcohol.
Except for the huge list of Canon alcohols on Memory Alpha I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Your crystal ball is that good that you can predict exactly what society is going to do in a fictional universe?
Given the logarithmic progression of our understanding of the body and what we should or should not put in it and what's healthy and what's snake oil, yeah, I'd say my crystal ball is spot on.
Captain
# 8
12-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Given the logarithmic progression of our understanding of the body and what we should or should not put in it and what's healthy and what's snake oil, yeah, I'd say my crystal ball is spot on.
Given that people are idiots, and like entropy, it only increases, I think your Crystal Ball might have a few scuffs.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-28-2012, 09:35 AM
There are two (major) things wrong with the situation:

1) In a tough situation the women, who is still a trained professional, panics and completely shuts down. This ain't the 1950's and that stereotype was tired even then.

2) There are millions of lives at stake all over the sector, they even tell you the number but I can't remember and you have the time to run around to find something that works. I know something that works. A swift slap in the face and I'm not saying that to promote violence against women, but in a situation like this it'd force a person to focus and save millions of lives.
Captain
# 10
12-28-2012, 09:47 AM
The nerve tonic is hilarious for use on your own toon (if its a female). As far is it in the story-line, it didn't really bother me that much maybe other cultures alcohol works to calm down humans. There are far bigger problems in the game than a woman using "nerve tonic".