Lt. Commander
# 21
01-06-2013, 12:02 PM
My only complaint is how alt-unfriendly the system is. I think the reputation system should be account-based rather than character-based, especially if they are going to add additional reputation systems.
Commander
# 22
01-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
But the reputation gear should be seen as your endgame gear, the be-all and end-all (even if the stats tell another story). It should be suitably expensive and hard to get, along the same lines as requiring near a hundred million EC in order to get your purple Mk XII equipment and weapons the exchange, or the relentless grind of children's toys to get the consoles you need.
While that's true to a degree, take a look at fleet weapons; they're generally better, and only cost what... 10,000 fleet credits and 10,000 dilithium? They're subsidised by the relevant currency, so why aren't the omega and Romulan items? The requisitioned stuff is I suppose, but why not the store stuff? Obviously I wouldn't want stuff to cost 10,000 Romulan marks since fleet credits are relatively easy to earn, but 250 wouldn't be unreasonable would it? The unlock also makes no sense as currently you have to come to the forums to find out what the stuff will cost and what stats they have once you've unlocked them.
Ensign
# 23
01-07-2013, 05:00 AM
I've recently reached t3 on omega rep and i'm really surprised of how bad it was designed, i've buyed the assimilated set mk X way back and now i'm forced to basically rebuy the mk XI at full cost not even a discount for already owning the mk X; why don't simply give us the ability to UPGRADE the old set giving back mk X as material for the new project?
Also they count as different set so now i don't have the 3 piece set bonus cause 2 piece are mk X and 1 mk XI so i'm stuck to wait without a set bonus that i've already achieved.
Commander
# 24
01-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Oh, one other thing I'd like to see in the reputation system is the ability to change some or all of the tier ability choices. Basically a faction reputation respec as an upgrade project if you have enough marks.

I'm not sure what possessed me to do so but I foolishly chose the +30 shield systems skill bonus in the Romulan tier II upgrades, but I think I'd much rather have the +3% critical chance.
Captain
# 25
01-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
Oh, one other thing I'd like to see in the reputation system is the ability to change some or all of the tier ability choices. Basically a faction reputation respec as an upgrade project if you have enough marks.

I'm not sure what possessed me to do so but I foolishly chose the +30 shield systems skill bonus in the Romulan tier II upgrades, but I think I'd much rather have the +3% critical chance.
Um... no? It specifically warns you before picking that you CANNOT CHANGE IT ONCE YOU'VE PICKED IT. It tells you very specifically that your choice is permanent. You pick the wrong one, you live with it.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Commander
# 26
01-08-2013, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Um... no? It specifically warns you before picking that you CANNOT CHANGE IT ONCE YOU'VE PICKED IT. It tells you very specifically that your choice is permanent. You pick the wrong one, you live with it.
Um... yes? I think someone has completely missed the point of feedback entirely; my feedback is that the reputation system would be better if it had a project within it for changing reputation ability choices. It doesn't matter one billionth of a percent what the text description currently says, as that can be changed if the feature is added.

I heard that a skill respec on your character can allow you to change reputation abilities, but I haven't seen it said definitively anywhere so that's a bit much to risk (and very expensive) just to change one reputation ability choice.

It's not as if the abilities are all that easy to choose from in the first place, as some of them are very uncertain in value, for example; in the tier IV omega abilities you can choose the graviton amplified (2.5% chance per hit to deal kinetic damage ignoring shields) or superior shield repair (bonus shield regeneration), but the value of each is difficult to way up.

For me the shield repair is about 240 every 6 seconds, which is about an 18% boost; that's better than the consoles for boosting regeneration, but with the full borg set and my abilities it probably wouldn't make all that much difference in practice. I think science officers may get more out of it?

But then the kinetic damage; in the description it's something like 11.3 damage unless you remember to go into a system to recheck the values, for me the damage is around 750, which is about what the kinetic cutting beam does per second. But it's a bit of a weird one to quantify as with a 2.5% chance that's what... ~19 extra damage per shot, but then you have to factor in that it ignores shields so it's kind of like the plasma proc... it's pretty hard to gauge if that's a better choice than extra shield regeneration.

It's just like the tier II romulan option that I'd like to change; +30 shield systems sounds good, but what does that actually do in practice? I'm not sure it gives me enough of a boost to warrant it over +3% crit chance, but I had no idea at the time I chose it.
Captain
# 27
01-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Just a question here. I reputation mandatory? Will a character without the reputation perks no longer be an a competitive level (PvE and PvP) with characters that have the perks.

The point is, I have several characters and I like to see them as personages with different ideas and backgrounds. So let's say one of them doesn't care about the whole Romulan issue. No reputation, no perks, what about that?

That is my main issue with any reputation system, a blank character can have them all and a character that has personality should make choices.
Captain
# 28
01-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
This type of attitude from Cryptic would cost them customers. It has many times for other companies. It is a game. A game is not supposed to screw you over for making the wrong choice. Unless of course it is a puzzle story game about making choices which this is not. This would also be different if the reputation perk choices were even remotely balanced against one another.

3% crit or like 5% more maximum shield when all stats are calculated? That isn't a real choice but I digress.

Thankfully if you use a respec token and refund all skill points it resets your reputation picks as well last I heard. In addition Cryptic is planning on allowing a respec of these choices via some other method but with no ETA so likely around when re-species and re-traits are allowed.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-09-2013, 02:14 AM
The original post is an excellent summary of the rep system.

Does anyone know how to get this message to Cryptic with enough force for them to listen?

The only thing I would add is to bring in (or rather back) some "anti-borg" weapons, something: powerful, fun to use, and most importantly, wont be of any use in PvP.
"He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him. For every doff box bought, I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's flames. For every single doff box opened, I stab at thee from hell's heart. For every single doff contributed, I spit my last breath at thee..." Khan Playing STO
Captain
# 30
01-09-2013, 07:41 AM
I ran out of expertise points one of my VA toon because of the reputation system. I couldn't quite believe it.

Hey Cryptic, can you DPS this Error ID 30191178 so that I can play?
**~Reality under scrutiny~**
@haudace
UFP Fleet: Operation Omega Task Force | KDF Fleet: KHG Klingon Honor Guard