Captain
# 21
01-03-2013, 09:46 AM
the cardassians also had a cloak. remember the episode when the rommies and cardies went to attack the founders planet? i distinctly remember seeing decloaking cardy ships...

also im quite surprised the jemhdar didnt incorporate cloak into their ships. although i suppose that would then make them less "see us, we're badass." style they had....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 22
01-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
the cardassians also had a cloak. remember the episode when the rommies and cardies went to attack the founders planet? i distinctly remember seeing decloaking cardy ships...

also im quite surprised the jemhdar didnt incorporate cloak into their ships. although i suppose that would then make them less "see us, we're badass." style they had....
pretty sure that technology was kept secret form the governements of cardassia/romulus, to the ill fated fleet of ship in question of the obsidian order, and seeing as all hands minus garek/odo were lost/captured at that battle :p
Tactical Cube deals 338364 (204629) Kinetic Damage to Tactical Cube with Plasma Torpedo - Heavy III.
Recoil damage... Burn
Rihannsu
# 23
01-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Yes they were meant to have a cloak according to the episode 'Hero Worship' on TNG. They were also meant to have part organic ships according to Tuvok in 'scorpians', and they have disrupter weapons mentioned in generations. no one had ever seena breen and lived to tell about it in ds9, even though dukat and kira nicked a few suits 3 years earlier.

Of course the writers forgot all that, and gave them no cloaks, seemingly no organic ships (although i guess you could argue the organic stuff is on the inside), and the devs gave them the wrong weapons.

all in all. their entire race has been a bit of a mess canon wise.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 24
01-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Heh, it's one thing to knock out a fleet of Starships, but it's something else to knock out Earth Space Dock. Makes you wonder though, if they did have all them weapons (and the ability to take ships and stations offline with them) what defeated the Breen fleet?
HMM, well we never learned how effective the Breen energy dampener was but from what we saw in "Changing Face of Evil" it could basically disable ships of any size including Galaxy-class vessels and Warbirds.
Not sure how well it would have worked against even bigger ships (if those had existed).
In the short story, three ships use their combined dampeners on the starbase.

To find out who stopped the attack...well read the book.
Career Officer
# 25
01-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Yes they were meant to have a cloak according to the episode 'Hero Worship' on TNG.

[...]
Transcript of the scene in question:

DATA: "Fracture points indicate that the energy burst came from a range of less than three thousand metres."

PICARD: "But that's a strategy consistent with a cloaked vessel. Romulan. Or Klingon. But we're quite a distance from either of their territories."

DATA: "The Breen have outposts in this sector. The attack on the Vico is consistent with their battle tactics and their level of technology."

This makes it pretty clear only the Romulans and Klingons have cloaking tech, otherwise the Breen would have been put into that sentence right next to the other connected to the cloak.
Strategy and tech means, they have the firepower and they prefer to open up at close range.
Career Officer
# 26
01-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
To find out who stopped the attack...well read the book.
Spoiler it for me, please.
Rihannsu
# 27
01-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhrangerxml View Post
In DS9 it was part of the speculation because no one knew much about the Breen, one of the theories was they traveled around cloaked. Things of interest mentioned in DS9 about the Breen as rumors and that did not survive into STO, the Breen actually don't need the suites, there home world is actually quite warm (desert like even) and they have a special dislike for the Romulans and even wanted to claim Romulan space for themselves had they won with the Dominion. Made me always think the Breen were that third major Vulcan race mentioned in TNG, in disguise.
The Debrune? Interesting.

the statement about their desire to have the Romulan HW is Canon, but we don't really know why they wanted it.

The idea that their HW isn't cold was in part based on something one of the Vorta said, but he could have been lying for all we know.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 28
01-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Yes they were meant to have a cloak according to the episode 'Hero Worship' on TNG. They were also meant to have part organic ships according to Tuvok in 'scorpians', and they have disrupter weapons mentioned in generations. no one had ever seena breen and lived to tell about it in ds9, even though dukat and kira nicked a few suits 3 years earlier.

Of course the writers forgot all that, and gave them no cloaks, seemingly no organic ships (although i guess you could argue the organic stuff is on the inside), and the devs gave them the wrong weapons.

There's a catch.... The Breen were mentioned to use disruptors, but not exclusively. most major races in the show were known to have multiple types of weapons technology available to them.

As for cloaking... I think they are more likely to use a form of passive stealth rather than actual cloaking devices.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lieutenant
# 29
01-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Quote:

Organic ships is still possible (just because it doesn't look like a squishy organ doesn't make it inorganic...)

The disruptors mentioned are ground weapons, in the same way the Jem'hadar ground forces use plasma based Disruptors and not, as commonly stated, polaron weapons.

Who says they killed a Breen to get them?
Career Officer
# 30
01-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Spoiler it for me, please.
Well, it was actually a combination:

There was a saboteur who had taken control of the defense satellites, who was taken out by Picard.
There was also a Starfleet ship (U.S.S. Columbia, unknown class) trapped inside the disabled starbase that was still functioning and cut its way through the space doors.
And of course the Enterprise arrived in time to help free Columbia by tearing the space doors away with a tractor beam.
Together they overwhelmed the Breen ships that were pounding earth at that point.