Lieutenant
# 31
01-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Didn't read the whole thread, but I don't think there should be a cloaking console of any sort I can see maybe the feds getting some sort of advanced hybrid ship with cloaking for helping romulans instead of a cloaking console. Some things should remain limited.
Career Officer
# 32
01-03-2013, 07:34 AM
well, i would say that now more than ever in a story line perspective, the romulans would want to maintain the treaty that states the feds cant have a cloak.. ontop of that, they would never give up their most valued technology.. weapons are one thing, but in the show, the romulans are zenophobic, they dont like talking to anyone else, nevermind sharing technology, and nevermind sharing their most prized technology..

in star trek ds9, the feds get the romulan cloak on "loan" only to be used in the gamma quadrant, and only while a romulan officer was present to operate it.. well, if memory serves, the war broke out, the romulan who was onboard died, and that cloak got lost in the folds of too much going on at once.. further more.. (and i cant be certain so feel free to correct me "nicely" hahaha.) but after the original defient was destroyed, and they get the sao paulo, you never see the defient cloak again.. meaning that they no longer have the cloak... and that the romulans did not give them another one..

also in message in a bottle, both the defients wernt cloaked either.. the defient was a one time thing, and even ended up losing it in the end..

the future enterprise (or dreadnaught) had a cloak, but also could do warp 13, which has been stated to be impossible in voyager.. so that kinda flubs that.. lol.. the olympic class in that show didnt have a cloak.. nor did harry kims nova class have one in the same time line..

plus, that is what makes the game fun.. the feds cant cloak.. (myself being a fed i have no problem with this) its kind of one of the few things that immerse me in the star trek universe.. when im up against klingons or romulans, its like when kirk or any of the other captains would have a ship decloak right in front of them...

i would have to vote no to a cloaking device in the romulan rep system.. and further more if it were there, i wouldnt go scrambling for it, cause its another console slot that i cannot afford to replace with what is currently in my slots.. most defient out there, and dreadnaughts dont even have the claoking console equipped. which to me shows that it would be a waste of time and resources to create that console...
Ensign
# 33
01-03-2013, 07:38 AM
i think i'll vote no also.
i mean, most KDF ships have a cloak already, so it would be a console that would be pointless for most KDf ships.
most of the consoles look like they are designed for any ship, so these would really benefit Feds most most.
Captain
# 34
01-03-2013, 07:42 AM
The Federation doesnt need a cloaking device other than the two we have
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci
Captain
# 35
01-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenw0lf View Post
More nonsense from you. Nobody would care if a Romulan faction had cloaked ships, because that is exactly what they have in canon. Federation? Not so much.

/thread
As far as STO goes canon is a complete write off. Defiant cloak destroyed, Gal-x was alt timeline. Canon? I saw half of starfleet flying Breen ships in STF yesterday - the other half were in Cardi and ferengi ships.

Last edited by born2bwild1; 01-03-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Captain
# 36
01-03-2013, 08:22 AM
I just got the Dreadnought Cruiser recently, and the cloaking device on that ship rocks! Even with no skill points on my character.

I can fly right up behind the enemy and they won't detect me!

I can understand the idea of getting a romulan cloaking console for helping rebuild their society. I see the logic behind that. You would think that they would offer such.

Yet then again, you may see it this way too, the Romulans have always been liars and devious.

They may be acting peaceful to the Federation and KDF just so they can rebuild their Empire. In doing so, they may , currently be acting as though they have got rid of their cloaking devices in agreement with the old Treaty that was signed by them and the Federation (back in 2300-something).

Their best weapon is there cloaking device. So not wanting to give that away, may be seen as unwise in their view, even with good intentions.

Never trust a Romulan though LOL.

So, though it would be cool to have such a console, I don't think the Romulans would ever agree to such.
Captain
# 37
01-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Feds are never going to get widespread cloaks. I don't give a rats ass how many cloaking factions are added to the game. You need to just accept that and move on.

Even from a storyline perspective, it's not like the Feds aren't capable of developing a cloaking device. They wouldn't need the Romulans to share tech. And the Romulans wouldn't share tech anyway when they are courting both the Klingons and the Federation (who are at war) for help
Captain
# 38
01-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Proabably to the horror of anyone who knows that i support not giving kdf (GAMEwise) ""unique"" tech away..

I think there should be a roumulan cloaking device..

That takes up 3 device slots and works half effectively as MES2

:3
Tactical Cube deals 338364 (204629) Kinetic Damage to Tactical Cube with Plasma Torpedo - Heavy III.
Recoil damage... Burn
Captain
# 39
01-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
You think our new Romulan friends - being pretty weak - in need of the Fed's help would offer up some of their cloaking tech?

Maybe Cryptic should add a "Romulan Cloaking Console" to tier 5 in the rep system.

I would certainly put out the 500 marks and 25k dilthium for that item. Heck even 50k dilthium! Maybe even more!

Plus, for KDF players it would give all those people with non-klingon ships like the Guramba and Kar'fi the chance to have a cloaking device as well.

Cryptic would certainly get a lot more mileage out of the Romulan content with maybe 200,000+ alts that are not now running the rep system - suddenly start getting used.
I think the T5 Romulan ability is close enough to cloak. Use mask energy signature to sneak up on someone, pump out damage, activate singularity to escape and repeat process.
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Romulan cloak? Hmm... I'd be able to live with it if it had a few SERIOUS limitations. Example:

Cloak console at T5 Romulan rep gives 30 seconds cloak equivalent to a standard cloak, drops ALL power levels down to like 15 (kind like old MES) and also makes the ship vulnerable for the usual 2 seconds when it decloaks. Or have it drain Aux power for every second it's active and decloaks you once your aux hits 0.

I mean that would at least be a reasonable console system for a cloak that is able to be mounted on literally every ship. If you're asking for a full cloaking console like the KDF has then I'd be seriously against it due to balance reasons.

Besides, someone already mentioned it, the Feds DO have a cloak, it's called Mask Energy Signature, look it up and try it (run high aux though).