Captain
# 81
01-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Me personally i don't care for it much as i was able to achieve maco and omega mkxii space and ground in shorter time and at very little cost. With the newer system costs me tons of ec's alot of dilithium and i even have to pay for uniform upgrades which should be free, they got rid of the decent space weapons along with the doff's. The only good thing to come out of it is a few new unique items at very expensive costs. Wooopie!
Empire Veteran
# 82
01-05-2013, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
post some screenshots so we can tell whats going on?
Got It! It seems even if your fill or surpass the Reputation to complete a tier you must run a couple of those throw away Omega/Romie marks mission for Dilithium before it gives the option to run the "Choose Passive" mission.

This I did not know.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Ensign
# 83
01-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
In regards to the Rep system:

Do I like it? No

What can I say, I am old school & despite the newly Rep system making it easier for 100% of the playerbase, the system still requires a cost & cheapens the status of endgame gear.

Typically in most MMO's endgame gear should be very difficult to come by - Take for example TERA; only one or two people out of the entire gaming community on the server has the complete endgame set of armor.

It should be a testament of your mettle, an accomplishment that you have endured, outwitted your foe, and that you have overcome impossible odds.

The Rep system just gives it away like a gift certificate with Dilithium cost to it.
Welcome to the new paradigm. Everyone gets to be a hero, and you don't need to accomplish anything, just put time in.

Time is important. Time means subscription, but it also means time buys you anything you want. The old ways only rewarded good players. The new way lets you get the biggest cruiser in the universe and have no idea how to use it despite the lengthy grind that got you onto its bridge.

I hate the new paradigm. Its for lazy people to zone out in. I love the idea of there being content I can't get at if I tried but seeing some godly incarnation of gaming dedication just standing in the bank showing it off.

The new ways seem to desperately try and convince you that the old addage is no longer true: "No matter what, there will always be someone better than you".

I miss those days. I miss the 90s. We had real guts.
Career Officer
# 84
01-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunk49 View Post
I miss those days. I miss the 90s. We had real guts.

I'm reminded of the line from The Incredibles:

Helen: "Everyone's special, Dash."

Dash: "That's the same as saying no one is."
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Lt. Commander
# 85
01-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
They do show passion for the game and its players, just not in ways that would make STO a better, more polished game - the big tickets - PvP, KDF, Featured Episodes and fixing all those long standing bugs won't make them any money - at least that seems to be how they see it.
You're deluding yourself. We aren't talking "passion" at all, this is greed of the dishonest variety.
Career Officer
# 86
01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckingram View Post
You're deluding yourself. We aren't talking "passion" at all, this is greed of the dishonest variety.
No - I've worked in the games industry for a long time and I've managed teams of creatives (and worked as a games artist myself) - the team - the artists, programmers, systems people, QA, designers, producers etc. - love what they do, it's just that the goal is no longer to produce an MMO that does justice to the IP and make its fans happy.

It's to wring every last drop of cash out of us before PWE closes STO and/or Cryptic down.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Lt. Commander
# 87
01-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
No - I've worked in the games industry for a long time and I've managed teams of creatives (and worked as a games artist myself) - the team - the artists, programmers, systems people, QA, designers, producers etc. - love what they do, it's just that the goal is no longer to produce an MMO that does justice to the IP and make its fans happy.

It's to wring every last drop of cash out of us before PWE closes STO and/or Cryptic down.
I hate to say it, but that may be where we are headed. I can't think of another justification for the P2W nature the game has taken.

On 'passion'; some of them might, but I still stand by my original statement that if the majority DID have passion for what they do or gave a **** the game wouldn't have so many 'holes' in it, and there would be some real QA happening which there isn't.

I've worked in the Industry too, and it royally sucks when you're one of the few that really does care about what you are doing and it seems like not many others around you do....it saps your drive and motivation. Maybe a few bad apples are ruining the bunch....we may never know, and can only speculate as the the state Cryptic's offices are in these days. The common ground I think we have here is that we all wish it would improve.
Captain
# 88
01-05-2013, 10:46 AM
I've worked in game design and writing in team environments (RPGs), and you know, all the vaunted high art doesn't do squat if the money dries up and there's no game.
Captain
# 89
01-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Tossing in mine: Worked for a while on a tabletop/RPG game as a freelancer(writer), playtester, and fact-checker, which means directly with the developers.

Devs can come up with some of the most bizarre **** in terms of thinking something is going to be 'fun', and I don't mean "Good" Bizarre, I mean "WTF were you THINKING???" bizarre, but in the end, the more capital-intensive your product, the more the business side intrudes on that creative process.

Because you have to keep the lights on.

If the Moneymen don't 'get' the IP...which ya gotta wonder if maybe PWE doesn't, and they're out to maximize profit over a short term (as opposed to guaranteeing long-term profitability) development is going to be slanted in a specific direction-fast payoffs with as little work as possible-because coders have to be paid, so the less coding done, the less cost there is, the more likely a project is to be approved.

Make a creative, right-brained person have to sit through working up a business-case scenario in business-school language is probably one of the best ways to burn out a creative mind.

This happens in gaming all the time. The alternative, though, is what happened to FASA and TSR-it wasn't that serious a dip in the gaming market that killed those two giants, it was taking on too many very creative endeavours without being careful to remain solvent enough to pay for the work to make it...work. Passion only gets you so far, there's still got to be a materialistic payoff if you want the work done with any competence, becausse competent people do not work for free, and will only work for promises to a point.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Ensign
# 90
01-05-2013, 11:10 AM
To all you guys talking about the corrupting process of the capital venture angle of game development, I offer you one simple title: Star Citizen.

Star Citizen is the future. The mastermind of Wing Commander asks the internet and receives $6+ million to develop what may become THE modern masterpiece of space sci fi and he can do it without any suits, any executives and run it purely from a creative perspective, because the investors aren't greedy SOBs who don't have any connection to what they fund, but are gamers themselves, the ones who enjoy the end product will be the ones who funded it.

Its a beautiful idea. Crowdfunding I believe will bring a new renaissance to gaming because it'll allow the indie developer the ability to compete with the big box budget while maintaining the purity of a small creative house.

Some people say that Free to Play is the future, and some say that means that Pay to Win is the future. I say thats not the future, thats the desperate strategy of a failing model. EA is so wasteful compared to the guy developing Star Citizen. All that advertizing to get people to buy something when Star Citizen gets you to pay them to build it before you even move a single unit, and in so doing you invest in the kind of game you want, rather than pay endless DLC prices for a title thats kinda sorta maybe gonna be what you want and ultimately becomes the compromize you play to distract you until the next disappointment comes along.

I think the internet can change the way we do business and its possible that indie games won't be limited to the quaint and adorable 8-bit retro movement.

Exciting times gentlemen.