Lt. Commander
# 1 STO Lag Issues, thank your ISP
06-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Some of you may have experienced this with other services, like HBO Go, Netflix, Hulu; essentially your internet connection to these sites is horrible while your internet speeds to other sites is as your ISP advertises.

IDK what this post has to do with Cryptic's terms of services, but I wanted to confirm that Comcast is throttling STO. I was getting continues server disconnect errors, STFs were unplayable but I could stream 1080p video on YouTube without issue. So I recently switched to an OpenDNS and now I have no lag issues what-so-ever. I did notify Comcast about this and I told them to stop, but we all know Comcast could care less what I have to say.

So if you're a Comcast customer or with another ISP and suspect their throttling your bandwith to/from STO, I'd advise you to consider changing your DNS.

And Cyrptic, if there's a way you can help fight the issue please do so. Thanks.
Captain
# 2
06-01-2014, 11:51 PM
I have been suspecting throttling myself recently. That said, you may want to check for WiFi congestion in your area because I seem to have reduced some of my probems by changing the channel of my router to get away from the same channel that my neighbors were using. I was getting a LOT of DC's because of that. I have still had some problems but that may help with some of it.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Delta Rising: Reanimate? (Y/N) Review Series COMPLETE!
Proudly F2P. Sig by gulberat. Avatar by balsavor.deviantart.com
Republic Veteran
# 3
06-02-2014, 12:01 AM
America!!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-02-2014, 12:33 AM
This is why supporting net neutrality is important. My provider is Sonic.net which, fortunately, does not filter, throttle, impose any transfer caps, dissuade me from saturating my connection or prevent me from running servers. However, without laws in place to prevent providers from double dipping, there can be no assurances for the current or future policies of any ISP.

I have long heard that Comcast is one of, if not the worst when it comes to throttling and it usually seems to be related to services that provide video entertainment, which is of course Comcast's bread and butter as a cable company. I view that as an anticompetitive practice.

A recent post I read regarding statements made by Comcast's CEO at the Code Conference now comes to mind. With that kind of attitude, it's no surprise that Comcast won Consumerist's 2014 "Worst Company in America" contest.
Captain
# 5
06-02-2014, 01:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajgRwZgFXUQ

How to Yell at the FCC About How Much You Hate Its Net Neutrality Rules

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-yell-at-th...net-1576943170

thats the place to voice your problems with this.
Cryptic.
Figure out and address the players path of least resistance to reward. this one thing is THE consistent factor undermining all your efforts. be that crafting, raids or starbase projects.
Captain
# 6
06-02-2014, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asovanra View Post
Some of you may have experienced this with other services, like HBO Go, Netflix, Hulu; essentially your internet connection to these sites is horrible while your internet speeds to other sites is as your ISP advertises.

IDK what this post has to do with Cryptic's terms of services, but I wanted to confirm that Comcast is throttling STO. I was getting continues server disconnect errors, STFs were unplayable but I could stream 1080p video on YouTube without issue. So I recently switched to an OpenDNS and now I have no lag issues what-so-ever. I did notify Comcast about this and I told them to stop, but we all know Comcast could care less what I have to say.

So if you're a Comcast customer or with another ISP and suspect their throttling your bandwith to/from STO, I'd advise you to consider changing your DNS.

And Cyrptic, if there's a way you can help fight the issue please do so. Thanks.
If Comcast were throttling bandwidth, changing DNS servers would have ZERO impact.

It sounds more like a router DNS-proxy issue, which you have now bypassed by setting DNS manually.

Last edited by tekehd; 06-02-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Captain
# 7
06-02-2014, 05:54 AM
Do you tend to find you have a case of this, from your local IP?
[Combat (Self)] Your Lunge deals 3252 (1916) Physical Damage(Critical) to Heavy Tactical Drone.
If you have come to the forums, to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
MACO/OMEGA/KHG Accolade Bug Link
Praetor of The Romulan Tal Shiar fleet
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwraith77 View Post
the first video for today , thanks we enjoyed it =)

*The truth is out there!*
Career Officer
# 9
06-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwraith77 View Post
Too bad their local ISP makes them wait 10 minutes for it to buffer.
Career Officer
# 10
06-02-2014, 08:26 AM
The Lag in STO/Crytpic/PWE is not your ISP, your computer, or anything else in your control.

I posted this awhile ago and have reposted it here to explain the issue.

The issue is the so-called ISP that Crytpic uses which is the same one that Netfilx, Blizzard, and several other companies choose to use due to Cogentco's low prices.

Cogentco provides local Data Centers and"Building LANs" with huge bandwitdh to their customers like Cryptic, Netflix, and Blizzard. So to Cryptic and the others, their Internet pipe is great without LAG. Where the LAG comes from is explained below in my previous post and it is all due to Cogentco....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus16nbs View Post
The lag issue will not improve or change for the better until the companies like Cryptic, Netflix, Blizzard, etc. get tired of Cogent and decide to get their equipment/services hosted by "real" Internet Backbone providers that do have massive connections to the Internet. All Cogent does is provide Data Centers and "Building" bandwidth to these companies and then rely totally on the "Free-Peering" connections to get those services to us, the internet users, via the real "Backbone" and Tier 1 ISP's without paying for that access.

Netflix alone has used up over 60% of the total bandwidth available for the entire USA at times and Cogent thinks they can shove this kind of traffic over the "Free-Peering" links and ports without paying for that massive traffic on the real Tier1 Backbone/ISP's network.

Old saying applies here... You get what you pay for!

So Cryptic, while it has a great and massive link into their Bandwidth/data Center provider (Cogent) it has a serious bottleneck getting to us from Cogent since Cogent does not want to have the necessary internet Backbone connections to handle the traffic load.

Cogent EXPECTS the real internet Backbone/ISP's carriers to provide it for Free!

Cogent step up to the plate and build the necessary connections at your own cost and stop causing major internet LAG!

PWE/Cryptic You can fix this! Stop using Cogent!
Golly look what I got! Now I can collect game metrics properly and adjust the content correctly!

Delta Rising, The Best Expansion Ever and the Players Love it!

Last edited by zeus16nbs; 06-02-2014 at 08:28 AM.