Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Captain
# 21
01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
I gave the Defiant retro on my Fed geer and it went well I used positron deflector,stock engines,omega x shields.I had no proplems with it in nm STF.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers

Last edited by age03; 01-17-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
While I do really like the omega torpedo launcher I'm looking to ditch it for the romulan one
Use both the Omega and Romulan torps together with the right skills and you can chain together a steady stream of death.
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
01-16-2013, 10:23 PM
as a Science Captain in a Science Ship I find that the Adapted MACK Mk XII set dovetails nicely with my build... that being said I do a lot more PVP than I do PVE and I figure if I can survive PVP well ESTFs are no problem... I LOVE the Romulan PLASMA weapons and the Singularity Harness set... put all of that on a MMSE with the Vesta Console 3piece set for the Paladin Bubble and viola instant awesome...
Major Xi'Zzin
I.R.W. Raptor's Claw
Storm Eagle Class Warbird Fleet Ha'feh
I have never trusted humans, and I never will
Ensign
# 24
02-14-2014, 08:12 AM
I play a tactical captain in an avenger battle cruiser, and I'm currently trying the 2pc Solanae set, deflector and engines instead of the 2pc borg counterparts, and using the MACO resiliant shield as always...

I personally like it. Anyone else tried?
Starfleet Veteran
# 25
02-14-2014, 09:31 AM
I have all available Mk XII sets, yet I always find myself going back to the Borg Deflector, Borg Engines, and Elite Adaptive Resilient Fleet shields for raw survivability.

If want to focus more on DPS, then 2 MACO pieces work well for shaving off precious seconds from all ability cooldown timers. This gets pretty nasty with Temporal Inversion, Plasma Hyperflux, etc...
Starfleet Veteran
# 26
02-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonjo78 View Post
I play a tactical captain in an avenger battle cruiser, and I'm currently trying the 2pc Solanae set, deflector and engines instead of the 2pc borg counterparts, and using the MACO resiliant shield as always...

I personally like it. Anyone else tried?
Yes, I tested this as well, but I found the Borg set still superior to the Solanae set because its heals have a more reliable proc rate and better healing quantity. Also, the Borg set does not require any sustained weapon fire to be effective due to its reactive nature.
Survivor of Romulus
# 27
02-17-2014, 01:55 PM
I myself am using various 2 piece of sets on my current ship

Also use Elite Fleet Resilient Shields as well as the Maco Resilient Shields interfere with the Plasmonic Leech console

Borg Engines and Deflector for their bonuses

Cutting Beam and Assimilated Module of that set

Currently also using the Zero-Point Energy Module along with the Experimental Romulan Plasma Beam Array for the boost to plasma damage along with the bonuses the ZPM gives me.
Career Officer
# 28
02-17-2014, 01:56 PM
From what I understand, Borg Deflector + Borg Engines + Fleet Shield is the best for everyone except science officers, while Adapted MACO Shield + Adapted MACO Engines + Fleet Deflector is best for science captains.
Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
Captain
# 29
02-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by priestofsin420 View Post
From what I understand, Borg Deflector + Borg Engines + Fleet Shield is the best for everyone except science officers, while Adapted MACO Shield + Adapted MACO Engines + Fleet Deflector is best for science captains.
choice of ship gear is more dependent of the ship class and boff abilities one uses than from the captain class.
none of the captain abilities are supported by the attributes present on a deflector or the science section of the skill tree.
Go check if you don't believe me, most science captain abilities only get a boost from aux power.
Starship sensors being a kind of exception since it reduces the stealth level value which sensor scan applies on a target, but it does not boost the resistance debuff.

so, what ever the best for a certain ship/class combination is, depends on the boff abilities of the specific build.
a fleet shield is almost certainly the best choice for any build.
solanae deflector and engines are pretty good for a build that makes use of particle generators.
maco and borg deflector have graviton generators on them, so they are suited for ships with a CC ability like grav well or tractor beam.
maco is specificaly well suited for tank builds, it comes with shieldpoints and shield emitter skill...universaly good, since most builds run EPtS and TSS and some other shield heal ability.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 02-17-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Captain
# 30
02-19-2014, 10:42 AM
My experience is that with high shield power, the three piece Borg set can do decently. However, it will struggle to keep up with a build with the engines and deflector and a stronger shield (MACO, Elite Fleet Resilient with appropriate mods, etc.). On my main (Fed Tac in a Fleet Assault Cruiser most of the time), I run the Borg deflector and engines at Mk XII with an Elite Fleet Resilient [Cap]x2 [Adapt] [ResB]. On my eng I run with the Borg deflector and engines, Mk XI, with the MACO, Mk XI (haven't ground for the upgrades yet). On my KDF tac, I run with the MACO (KHG Adapted) shield Mk XII with the Borg deflector and engines, Mk XI. So I think it's a pretty solid combination, obviously.

I don't know what the individual who said that the Borg set can't be beat is doing - possibly they don't use EPtS or something, so I suppose the Borg auto-repair would help a great deal in that situation. However, in my personal, overall experience, while the Borg set can produce respectable performance, the shield will make it struggle, even with the three-piece shield repair.

Also, the tractor beam isn't much to write home about, although I'm told that it can make a nasty combo with the cutting beam with some kind of bonus, but I have yet to personally witness this. On its own though, unless you are a massive fan of tractor beam (especially if you're on a ship that can't support it for whatever reason), the tractor beam does not justify the three piece set, either.

Last edited by red01999; 02-19-2014 at 10:45 AM.