Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
So. I'm getting back into the game and i have a few questions. First, dilithium.. Im looking to buy the excelsior refit, so whats the most effiencient way of farming this stuff? Suggestions?

Also, when you're switching ships, how do you prevent your hot bar from switching out. Its such a pain resetting it. Also, how many of you guys run ships lower than your tier? For example, even when i make vice admiral, which will be soon, I'd probably still stay in the soverign. It has the same weapon slots. Granted, it doesnt have as much crew, but its also more nimble. the biggest thing is.. the boff slots wont let you use higher abilities, which I think its a poor choice. Sure, i miss out on console slots or additional stations maybe, but I'd like to be able to use higher abilites. Its the only reason I didnt stay with the excelsior until the soverign :\. how do you guys deal with it?

Also, what is captian training? Im not so worried if Im going to stay with the soverign but, id like to T3 tac skills for my tac officers.

I have a new toon im running up now, so I'm trying to do things right this time. My main toon is 48, and hes a tac officer in a cruiser. Kind a mix between dps and tank. More toward dps.

Also, advice on how to not die in an escort? I try to do hit and run tactics, but i find i get escape fast enough.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabba2087
So. I'm getting back into the game and i have a few questions. First, dilithium.. Im looking to buy the excelsior refit, so whats the most effiencient way of farming this stuff? Suggestions?
Space STFs and the Mirror event when it's active are two of my favorites. The mirror event only lasts an hour a few times a day, but it's a fast mission with no cooldown for 480 dilithium. Alts are also good for dilithium - they have separate refining caps, but when you sell it for C-points it's all in a shared pool. So if you have a KDF alt you can hit their version of the mirror event, which usually runs the hour before or after the Fed one.

Quote:
Also, when you're switching ships, how do you prevent your hot bar from switching out. Its such a pain resetting it. Also, how many of you guys run ships lower than your tier? For example, even when i make vice admiral, which will be soon, I'd probably still stay in the soverign.
Admiral ships are all tier 5, so you're ok in the Sovereign. Not all tier 5 ships perform equally (it's hard to compare the Sovereign to the Dreadnought or Excelsior), but they aren't new tiers like previous rank increases.

Quote:
Also, what is captian training? Im not so worried if Im going to stay with the soverign but, id like to T3 tac skills for my tac officers.
Only cruiser (or any non-escort for that matter) with t3 tactical powers is the Excelsior. The Odyssey and Bortasqu have universal LTC slots and can put tactical officers there, but it's not widely recommended since there's not a universal LT you can use to prop up your engineering skills - basically end up with a ship without the bulk to tank or the speed to run away.


Quote:
Also, advice on how to not die in an escort? I try to do hit and run tactics, but i find i get escape fast enough.
Rotate between two EPTS powers and use tac team to eat bigger attacks - tac team has a shield redirect built on that basically means damage to one shield arc is actually done to the other three instead. It can leave you with the other three arcs low, but you can still last longer than without it, where you're likely to only lose one arc and get blasted through the hole. Evasive maneuvers or the afterburner console from the Gladius to GTFO in a pinch.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm looking at the excelsior retrofit, but is it better dps wise to have 1 higher level tac boff, or two lower levels? My t3 ability would probably be high yeild 3. I run 2 quantums front, and 2 rear on my ship and i do love using them. Would probably work better in the excelsior with the better turn rate too... though i do make use of tractor beam well. Hold a ship so its weak or side with no sheilds face me until i get a volly off.

STFs.. i havent done them yet but i think i know what they are. Like high level pve stuff? what are the mirror events? good to know about the alts.

And I meant, say if i get the excelsior, and i switch my crew over to her, and then back to the soverign. All my commands in my toolbar move around and i need to switch them back, any way to prevent this? also, think the odyssey is worth it?

Also EPTS powers?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabba2087
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm looking at the excelsior retrofit, but is it better dps wise to have 1 higher level tac boff, or two lower levels? My t3 ability would probably be high yeild 3. I run 2 quantums front, and 2 rear on my ship and i do love using them. Would probably work better in the excelsior with the better turn rate too... though i do make use of tractor beam well. Hold a ship so its weak or side with no sheilds face me until i get a volly off.
DPS wise, I'd say the Excelsior's higher station. General utility wise, the second ensign tac power is useful for running tac team and still having two DPS powers.

Quote:
STFs.. i havent done them yet but i think i know what they are. Like high level pve stuff? what are the mirror events? good to know about the alts.
STFs are level 45-50 endgame Borg missions. 3 space, 3 ground. All 5 man, joined via the PVE queue, split into normal (mk X-XI) and elite (mk XI-XII) versions of the same missions.

The Mirror Event is on the hourly event cycle on the front page of the journal window. It's also joined by the PVE queue while it's active. 5 man space mission that just involves blowing 5 AOE-friendly groups of Terran Empire ships to hell and then fighting a mirror Galaxy-X.

Quote:
And I meant, say if i get the excelsior, and i switch my crew over to her, and then back to the soverign. All my commands in my toolbar move around and i need to switch them back, any way to prevent this?
No, however, they have fixed the UI to make it a *bit* better about remembering your bars and even boff assignments for each ship, but it still seems to have a problem with adding boff powers to the bars where you didn't have them.

Quote:
also, think the odyssey is worth it?
For what you're talking about, a more DPS-slated cruiser... maybe. The Tac variant's pet is piloted by lobotomized monkies, but it has a point defense system that can do pretty respectable damage against light targets. The engineering version has saucer separation, which makes it more maneuverable and gives a weapons power bonus. The science variant has sensor analysis, which gives it a growing damage bonus as long as it targets a single enemy.

It's boff setup is the drawback. For tac, you can manage a setup like the Sovereign's, but if you use the universal LTC for a tac, you're left with awful tanking and healing and the ship turns into a giant coffin pretty fast.


Quote:
Also EPTS powers?
Emergency power to shields.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Thanks man, that helps me out a lot
Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
# 6 idk
09-08-2013, 06:23 AM
idk but wish I did
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 PM.