Commander
# 1 STO The paper back book
01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Has anyone read it? Is it any good? Does it follow the game or add to the current story missions?
Commander
# 2
01-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admgreer View Post
Has anyone read it? Is it any good? Does it follow the game or add to the current story missions?
You mean "The Needs Of the Many"? I have that book sitting right now on my desk.
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Commander
# 3
01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
yes the book that is suppost to go with this game
Commander
# 4
01-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Quote:
yes the book that is suppost to go with this game
Mine didn't come with the game. It's been a while so I can't remember precisely where I purchased it, but I presume that at some point they were packaged together.

At any rate, it's not really based precisely on STO lore, but rather a collection of short stories that serve as an explanation for how some events came to be. It includes in its appendices "The Path to 2409", which is used for Starfleet Academy/KDF Lore missions at the factions' respective academies.

Captain
# 5
01-07-2013, 03:41 AM
It's more of a prequel to STO, read it after the comic ST:Countdown.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Empire Veteran
# 6
01-07-2013, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Its adds to the Path to 2409 backstory that they wrote for STO and then promptly moved away from ingame. Its a dry read of a book since its all interviews but at least it builds the backstory up so its more confusing when things don't follow it.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Ensign
# 7
01-07-2013, 11:48 AM
It is an entertaining read. The problem being that it assumes the Undine are the Big Bad of the game and well.. our current goals are to save the hippie Deferi and the hippie Romulans from the Borg and Tholians/Iconians.

I bet 90% of players don't even complete the Undine missions.
----------------------
Drink one shot for ever time someone complains about realism in Star Trek.
Drink two shots if they don't know what "fiction" is.

Commander
# 8
01-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Its adds to the Path to 2409 backstory that they wrote for STO and then promptly moved away from ingame. Its a dry read of a book since its all interviews but at least it builds the backstory up so its more confusing when things don't follow it.
Yeah, I had a particular gripe with one of the Academy lore missions...

And STO makes absolutely NO mention about the war with the Undine. Also it mentions Data as captain of the Enterprise-E. Now, Data is functionally immortal so you'd think that he'd STILL be in the chair in 2409, but in the DS9 story arc in STO....who the fark is the captain of the E? No mention anywhere that Data was promoted at any time either....

Captain
# 9
01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewstelamon01 View Post
Yeah, I had a particular gripe with one of the Academy lore missions...

And STO makes absolutely NO mention about the war with the Undine. Also it mentions Data as captain of the Enterprise-E. Now, Data is functionally immortal so you'd think that he'd STILL be in the chair in 2409, but in the DS9 story arc in STO....who the fark is the captain of the E? No mention anywhere that Data was promoted at any time either....
The E was lost, per the Path to 2409 (which they should put back on the website). The F is the one we see in game.
Career Officer
# 10
01-07-2013, 05:13 PM
The high point of the book (IMO) was the story of how Data got "resurrected" in B-4's body.