Captain
# 51
02-21-2013, 03:50 AM
The value of a tactical boff slot or tactical console is somewhat debatable.

The value of shield strength is not debatable.

Why does the Fleet Varanus have 10% weaker shields than the Fleet DSSV?
Empire Veteran
# 52
02-24-2013, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
The value of a tactical boff slot or tactical console is somewhat debatable.

The value of shield strength is not debatable.

Why does the Fleet Varanus have 10% weaker shields than the Fleet DSSV?

It's got a "magic slot" that magically negates damage to make up for the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethon3050 View Post
The loss of the repair drones is a minute loss, really; they hardly did anything, and were extremely vulnerable to soft proximity kills from area-effect explosions. They also died the instant any enemy within range triggered Beam: Fire at Will or Torpedo Spread. Even if they gave back the drones, it wouldn't help this ship.
^ This. I think the only thing they did effectively (somewhat) is repair the holographic fleet. Mine Varanus is the legacy version that has the ability built in which helps free up the console slot. Regardless, I could never get them to start repairs until health was getting dangerously low. That doesn't happen very often because I don't allow it unless I can't help it. If I could get at least that, I would be able to be more "supporty" to the rest of the team. But like I said, the only thing that looses hull strength for the thing to give a care about are the holographic ships. They also do absolutely nothing for friendly/allied NCP ships as well which is a really big letdown.

So yeah, it wasn't that great to begin with. Now if I want the fleet version with that (lol), I have to get a console, waste a slot equipping it and somehow miraculously compete with it's Fed counterparts with less for some reason.
Captain
# 53
02-28-2013, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by racquerr View Post
It's got a "magic slot" that magically negates damage to make up for the difference.
Some of the earlier Fleet ships had weird shied strength mechanics...?
Career Officer
# 54
02-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
Some of the earlier Fleet ships had weird shied strength mechanics...?
While it's certainly true that this thread predates the most recent round of fixes/adjustments for Fleet ships, the Varanus probably doesn't qualify because they pretty much only fixed ships that no not have a non-fleet T5 incarnation.
So appearently "working as intended" for the Fleet Varanus.