Commander
# 11
01-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Just go with Plasma - EVERYTHING seems to be set-up for Plasma spam now anyway, so....
Still avoid plasma for pvp lots of mk xii stf shields since they make the advanced fleet stuff look stupid and have some nice 2/3 piece set bonuses
Commander
# 12
01-10-2013, 05:54 AM
A lot of people seem to like plasma, so you could go with that.

Personally, when I get my Fleet Rhode Island, I'm gonna set it up with a Quantum up front, paired with a Chroniton. The Chroniton movement disable seems to work well for me for some reason.

We need a Borg Shield Drain torpedo for us Science kids.
More anything?
"MORE EVERYTHING!"
-Jerry Seinfeld on Star Trek Online Content

Foundry Works: Uncharted
Captain
# 13
01-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Like anyone does pvp any more.

Omega has a nice rate of fire. I think it's ideal for people who just want one forward torp they don't have to worry about much (no projectile doffs, etc.) It's also a great rear torp -- I ended up putting a Romulan torp forward and an Omega aft for a Breen ship.

More on topic, a Sci ship has a lot of tricks for stripping shields -- tachyon beam, tractor with doff. Combine with plasmas and you can both deliver hard hits against bare hulls and plasma burn even if shield is up.

I haven't played PvP in a long time, but I'd expect that plasmas aren't a bad idea because, again, plasma burn is handy -- and people have only so many Hazard emitters.
'Ha, I cleared your burn!'
"That's nice, eat 10 more torps."
'Ha! I had a second hazard emitter!'
'... dang it.'

With 3 purple DOFFS, I think the conventional wisdom was that 2 quantums were better than photons, but photons are better with less DOFFs/one tube.

Chronitons have a nice debuff element, particularly in pvp.

Never use transphasics. Ever. Until they overhaul transphasics, they aren't worth using (they do less damage in EVERY case than quantums).
Captain
# 14
01-10-2013, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
Like anyone does pvp any more.

Omega has a nice rate of fire. I think it's ideal for people who just want one forward torp they don't have to worry about much (no projectile doffs, etc.) It's also a great rear torp -- I ended up putting a Romulan torp forward and an Omega aft for a Breen ship.

More on topic, a Sci ship has a lot of tricks for stripping shields -- tachyon beam, tractor with doff. Combine with plasmas and you can both deliver hard hits against bare hulls and plasma burn even if shield is up.

I haven't played PvP in a long time, but I'd expect that plasmas aren't a bad idea because, again, plasma burn is handy -- and people have only so many Hazard emitters.
'Ha, I cleared your burn!'
'Ha! I had a second hazard emitter!'
'... dang it.'

With 3 purple DOFFS, I think the conventional wisdom was that 2 quantums were better than photons, but photons are better with less DOFFs/one tube.

Chronitons have a nice debuff element, particularly in pvp.

Never use transphasics. Ever. Until they overhaul transphasics, they aren't worth using (they do less damage in EVERY case than quantums).
Transphasics are excellent. No, really. Especially since the mines got overhauled with a bonus 80% shield penetration and the torps (including the Cluster torp) got overhauled with a bonus 40% shield pen. Console them up and put a Tactical captain behind them and they can really, really, put pain on the table. Mix in with Tractor Beam Repulsors (2 & 3, and remember to think about how you'll impact your team when you turn them on) or Gravity Wells and you get a nasty punch that ignores shields.

In fact, the Chel'Gret makes a fantastic Transphasic Torpedo boat.
Lieutenant
# 15
01-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Hey everybody! Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I have been getting lots of feedback, I thought I should post some more info.

I have been working on an energy drain build. Currently, I have:

ES3(It drains about 47 power for 23 seconds)
ES2(37)
Tykens Rift 2(12power a second for 17seconds I think)

I keep a dual beam bank up front so I can use the Sci Vessels target subsystems. It drains 50 power from Aux/Weapons/Engines and 30 power from Shields along with minus regeneration of over 400 I think.

This build helps me keep my power levels high. I can usually keep my weapons power around 100 with setting it at 25. I have one copy of EPtW 1 and batteries. This allows me to do as much damage as I can with turrets and dbb.

Also, My subnucleonic beam slows power recharge by 70% for 30 seconds.

Currently, I am still a Rear Admiral Lower half, so I can't access the end game items yet.

I do have tractor beam 1 with the doff. I am thinking about taking out Tykens Rift 2 in favor of tachyon beam3.
Career Officer
# 16
01-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrimcorsair View Post
Transphasics are excellent. No, really. Especially since the mines got overhauled with a bonus 80% shield penetration and the torps (including the Cluster torp) got overhauled with a bonus 40% shield pen. Console them up and put a Tactical captain behind them and they can really, really, put pain on the table. Mix in with Tractor Beam Repulsors (2 & 3, and remember to think about how you'll impact your team when you turn them on) or Gravity Wells and you get a nasty punch that ignores shields.

In fact, the Chel'Gret makes a fantastic Transphasic Torpedo boat.
Yeah - I use them (forward) on my Fleet Rhode Island - target shield subsystems + Tachyon beam + Transphasic torpedoes can be quite nasty when it all works.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
# 17
01-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
With only two launchers zero proc outcomes will leave a huge gaping damage output hole with quantums (roughly 6 seconds), while photons have a considerably smaller downtime window(only about 3 seconds). Also, you only need one proc to sustain chain firing on photons, whereas quantums require a multi-proc every second fire to sustain a one torpedo per gcd fire rate.

In addition, the base damage difference between quantums and photons is actually quite small (we're talking about 10% or roundabout 5-600 damage after all skills and modifiers are applied). You'll get slightly better burst out of a quantum torp boat, but for reliability you really can't beat photons, especially now with the adapted MACO being a free torpedo console equivalent.

To put some numbers on the table, using only fleet photons (dmgx3, critdx1), zero photon consoles, the Adapted MACO 2-piece bonus and APB3 only I'm routinely putting out 20k+ photon crits. Going full alpha strike mode I've gotten into the 45-50k range. I could probably add another 10k (or more) to that if I regear strictly for crit output (which is something i'm highly considering with the fix to Rommie boffs). Keep in mind, I've still got two dhcs and a bank of turrets blazing away while all of this is going on.

Last edited by stirling191; 01-18-2013 at 08:52 AM.