Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
After over 2 years since launch, this bug is still persistent.

I had a friend of mine join up in STO today, and he had to redo his character multiple times over, while we tried to track down the cause of the problem. He previously purchased the game under the old P2P system, and had a few unlocks (such as the ENT Mirror uniforms).

Little did I know, it was these unlocks that were causing the problems.

I'm literally *shocked* that there hasn't been any progress on actually fixing this long-standing issue. I suppose Cryptic are too busy pumping out fluff and daily missions, to get these bugs fixed. That, and spreading themselves thin with development onto Neverwinter as well as CO and STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post

I had a friend of mine join up in STO today, and he had to redo his character multiple times over, while we tried to track down the cause of the problem. He previously purchased the game under the old P2P system, and had a few unlocks (such as the ENT Mirror uniforms).

I'm literally *shocked* that there hasn't been any progress on actually fixing this long-standing issue. I suppose Cryptic are too busy pumping out fluff and daily missions, to get these bugs fixed. That, and spreading themselves thin with development onto Neverwinter as well as CO and STO.
Worse yet, I ran into this problem two days ago. I am a lifetime subscriber and kept getting this error every time I tried to create a new character (been a while and I like to start from scratch until I'm familiar enough with the game again). I finally found myself able to create a humand and klingon player IF i did not change ANYTHING in the character creator. I can make a generic male klingon or generic human female only. IF I change ANY detail along the way, the "Character Creation Failed" message appears.

Now get this - I submitted a ticket for this problem immediately. Two days later I got a reply that read like a canned response to anyone who can't login and THEY CLOSED THE SUPPORT TICKET LIKE THAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!

Forget dropping dollars in their C-store so I can get that Odyssey ship now instead of waiting a few months. Seriously, this is what they sent:

Quote:
Technical Issues request from support.crypticstudios.com - Character Creation Failed

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Kortana Turing) 04/03/2012 06:18 PM
======> Here's some information that can help you.

Please first restart your computer and network hardware and try again before trying anything else.

You may have to be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If on Windows Vista or 7, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.

After you get the game updated and get in game, you can uninstall Pando Media Booster or shut it down (PMB.exe in Windows Task Manager) if you start getting unusual lag spikes, system resource problems, bandwidth issues, or other network issues. Info about pando issues: https://support.perfectworld.com/app...tail/a_id/4042

You may need to update or install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. You may need to update your version of Windows, also may need to update to the latest version of DirectX and Internet Explorer 8 or 9 with Javascript enabled. You may also need to check or change your network settings. In addition, you should check that your CPU, mainboard, and CPU drivers are updated if applicable.

You can try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.

At your own risk, you may have to disable your antivirus, firewall, and other security software temporarily while you download, install, update, login to, and play the game. Sometimes the security software will block it or throttle it, no matter what you try or even if you try to add exceptions for the game files in your security software.

You may also have to disable, shut down, uninstall, or disable any: torrent, keyboard/mouse, web browser toolbars, video/screen capture, gamepad/input device, multimedia, Instant Messaging, voice over IP, web browser games, other games software applications before downloading, installing, updating, logging into, and playing the game. Basically shut down all non-essential programs.

- You can try using the Task Manager built into Windows to review what processes and services are running on your computer that might be causing problems or using too many resources.

Or you can use Process Explorer, which you can download from Microsoft:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653

You may need a program like Winzip or WinRAR to extract the file. Put the executable file (ends in .exe) in a folder location where you can find it easily, like your Desktop or Documents. Then just start it up.

Please note that the information that it shows is of a technical nature, and shutting down (or kill process) that you don't really know what it does can mess up or crash your system.

This tool is best for seeing what is running, and you can research the processes that you see online in a search engine to see what can or can't be shut down. You can also find out what could be responsible for any software conflicts, or if something is using too many resources on your system.

If you are unsure of what to do with this tool, see Microsoft's support for this tool, and/or have a PC Tech professional help you.

If you need further help, when you contact us by a support ticket, please answer the following questions:

What exactly did you try in the information presented to you?

What changes to your software did you make?

What errors did you get?
Customer By Email (Cryptic Support) 04/01/2012 05:25 PM
Game: Star Trek Online
Category: Technical Issues
Cryptic Account: f9TheJudge

Summary: Character Creation Failed
Description:
I tried to create a new character to relean game, a liberted borg human as standard with my lifetime purchase and keep getting "Character Creation Failed" at the end, even when the only thing I change is trait Agressive to trait Peak Health.

Question Reference #120401-000560
Product Level 1: Star Trek Online
Category Level 1: Tech Support
Category Level 2: Login/Patching/Network
Date Created: 04/01/2012 05:25 PM
Last Updated: 04/03/2012 06:18 PM
Connection Type:
Date/Time of Problem:
Character:
Server:

Operating System

Internet Service Provider

Computer Manufacturer

This is customer support?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Just got the same error 2 times in a row.

30 minutes of my life I will never get back...

The game can't even bother to give you a reason and then let you fix it, just dumps you out to the login screen and says f*ck you.

Sorry, but errors like this since the release of the game are just unacceptable. Seriously cryptic, hire some real devs or unchain them so they can do their jobs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f9TheJudge View Post
This is customer support?
That... would be infuriating. It's times like those that I think a developer needs to come out and personally apologize to a player. That's just carelessly sloppy.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Character dump
04-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I've tried to create a Fed Engineering Liberated Borg character but I can't get it to take. I've tried a custom build and a cookie cutter build and both dump me right out to the log in. I have the slots and can create other characters no prob. For some reason, its only the Liberated Borg character. Been playing since the start of the game and this is the first time I've had this come up. Very strange.
And the canned mail response? "We got your email and you'll hear something in 3 to 4 days." Really? I can't roll this char for that long? After reading how long they've been dealing with this, one would hope they'd come up with a work around for it.
Lt. Commander
# 6 showstopper
04-17-2012, 12:14 AM
ya just had it on Alien, got 4 more chars to make, Ferengi failed before that by the way, why?

am i going to have a flippin hour of bugs here? lol...

(EDIT) both where tactical female but it seems to not make sense...

anyone new will run from STO, make a first impression, starting with their avatar lol
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post

So did you actually get one working or no? I've got some unlocks but I don't think I was using any of those costume pieces during creation. I'm royally ****ed that I just wasted almost 2 hours trying to get a fracking character into the game with 0 results!

-edit- Hey I have a question for everyone, what were you trying to name your character (informal, as well as formal first middle and last please).
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-21-2012, 02:15 PM
I failed to create a Fed Liberated Borg several times. I read elsewhere, that there migtht be a problem with the first, middle and last name. So i did not let the system create a random name but filled out the name for the charakter and the ship myself, and it worked.
Maybe this happens most often with Borg charakters, because people want the system to generate Borg names for them.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-22-2012, 07:24 PM
This is also happening with me trying to create a new Klingon character and yes I have the levels and I am not using any custom C-Store stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Okay so in another thread I heard that names have a 3-letter minimum and I was trying to make a character with a 2-letter middle name. I just tried to make the exact same character as before, but with no middle name (I'll add it later by editing my service record) and it was created without error so that is my hypothesis as to what is causing rampant character creation fails.