Ensign
I recently got back into STO after it went ftp and I am looking for a fleet to join as i get closer to the level cap and endgame. I am a Christian and would like to group with people who are like minded or at least try to keep their chat channels clean. So I am wondering if there are any active Christian or family friendly fleets. I did some searches but most of the posts seem to be old and I am wondering how many if any are still active.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-21-2013, 03:42 AM
Must...avoid...trolling...religious...guy...on forum...

Just avoid Starfleet Dental. Other than that you wont get a lot of behaviour that will upset you. Well, any more than you normally would in an environment where anonymity is rampant.

If a bit of foul language bothers you you probably shouldn't be playing games with adults.

Damn.
Lieutenant
# 3
07-21-2013, 03:51 AM
My fleet is family friendly (we don't swear) but is not Christian.
If you can't find a Christian fleet we would welcome you.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
07-21-2013, 06:18 AM
Hi I'm part of a group of Christian fleets - our largest is Zion Fleet (which I'm in). We have counterpart Federation and Klingon fleets. We're a friendly bunch and we'd love to have you! My ingame handle is @teklionbenrasha - send me an inbox and I'll invite you in!

Teklion
Ensign
# 5
07-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Ok, so, here's my question:

Why is your real-life religion a factor when choosing a fleet? In the TV show, the vast majority of the Federation is atheist. Why do you have to set yourself apart from everyone else because to follow the teachings of a middle-eastern carpenter, rather than any of the other gods? Why does it matter if you are in a fleet with Hindus, Bhuddists, Pagans and Atheists?

I have yet to see any purely Pagan fleets, or purely Atheist fleets, or purely Jewish fleets, but I have lost count of the number of Christian fleets I've seen. And to me, that reeks of an arrogance that is unbecoming to anyone who wishes to emulate Star Trek principles.

I'm not bashing your religion, I just want to know why you feel it's important for something that only affects real life to also be a factor in a game.
Career Officer
# 6
07-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshade321 View Post
Ok, so, here's my question:

Why is your real-life religion a factor when choosing a fleet? In the TV show, the vast majority of the Federation is atheist. Why do you have to set yourself apart from everyone else because to follow the teachings of a middle-eastern carpenter, rather than any of the other gods? Why does it matter if you are in a fleet with Hindus, Bhuddists, Pagans and Atheists?

I have yet to see any purely Pagan fleets, or purely Atheist fleets, or purely Jewish fleets, but I have lost count of the number of Christian fleets I've seen. And to me, that reeks of an arrogance that is unbecoming to anyone who wishes to emulate Star Trek principles.

I'm not bashing your religion, I just want to know why you feel it's important for something that only affects real life to also be a factor in a game.
I'll give your question a whack... Its the OP's RL Religion is a factor when choosing a fleet, because... well this isn't the show, we really aren't in command of Starships, or Fleets, or what not... hey if you want to RP from your bridge, more power to ya.

It is you who are arrogant here. The OP wasn't trying to get everyone to become, well anything... he/she simply was looking for like-minded individuals to enjoy this GAME with.

As far as not bashing his/her religion.. then you probably should have left out the "And to me, that reeks of an arrogance" part.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Ensign
# 7
07-21-2013, 11:29 AM
You don't think it's arrogant for a group of people to exclude others because they are not part of the same "club"?

If I wanted to bash Christianity, I could have said so much worse.
Captain
# 8
07-21-2013, 11:34 AM
All the LGBT fleets out there, is there any reason to exclude some other identity group? Black fleet, Cripple fleet, Muslim fleet, who gives a rats ass anymore. We're <blank> and we're here!
Ensign
# 9
07-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshade321 View Post
You don't think it's arrogant for a group of people to exclude others because they are not part of the same "club"?

If I wanted to bash Christianity, I could have said so much worse.
Actually many of the Christian guilds i have been part of in a variety of MMOs have NOT excluded nonchristians (WoW, CoH, GW2, and SWTOR). They have certain language/behavior codes that you have to follow, but that is it.

As far as looking for like minded individuals it just gives me another place to talk about things that interest/concern me without having to worry about being trolled for my point of view. And before the topic comes up, no I am not against honest debate, but in general I have found you dont get that in MMOs or forums (barring forums setup for that kind of debate).
Captain
# 10
07-21-2013, 05:43 PM
I am also a member of Zion Fleet and would like to invite you to join us.

We believe in respect for all, whatever their beliefs may be. To be a Christian fleet does not mean to be a fleet or group that thumbs its nose at everyone else. We take all harassment and incivility issues seriously, regardless of who has done it and who is on the receiving end. Nor is sexual harassment permitted; women can come here and find a welcoming and respectful atmosphere (not sure if that is a relevant issue for you?).

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Delta Rising: Reanimate? (Y/N) Review Series COMPLETE!
Proudly F2P. Sig by gulberat. Avatar by balsavor.deviantart.com