Lieutenant
# 1 How Much Power is too Much
01-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Hi everyone! If you don't know already from my previous questions, I am a science captain, Rear Admiral Lower Half level. I fly a recon sci ship.

My question is how much power is too much?

Is it worth it to max out WC Efficiency, WC Potential and all 4 Performances? Plus have an efficient captain with warp core theorist and 5 efficient boffs?

Is all that worth it? Currently I am using energy siphon, so it seems like I wouldn't need to max everything out. Not to mention all the EPtX abilities, especially with a Warp Core engineer and the red matter capacitor.

Also, I like using batteries, especially since I have the Exocomp Boff.

Can anyone out there help me figure out how much power is too much?
Captain
# 2
01-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Well what you have there is perfectly fine... if you don't really want to spec into anything else.

However if you do want points to spend in other areas, you really don't need to go over 7 points in performance (since you only lose 1 power), 7 points in WCP (again, you only lose 1 point), and 7 points in WCE (again, power loss is very very small, and your efficient captain makes up for it).

But hey, if you want to be flooded with power that's your call, but I personally believe you can spend those points more intelligently in other areas.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
There is no such thing as too much power. Subsystem power is the life blood of your starship, the more you have the better you are... well unless you boost a stat above 125... but hey that gives you some buffer against power drain so thats not neciserily bad.

However while you cant have too much power it is possible to not have enough of somthing else. So power skills at 6 is realy all you need if you dont want to be underwelming in other areas.
Rihannsu
# 4
01-09-2013, 01:46 PM
If you want an idea of how much power you get out of how much skills, take a look at my Ship Power Calculator.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=155777

It's a little outdated, but the forumlas are all still accurate.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Career Officer
# 5
01-09-2013, 02:15 PM
This site listing the effects of skills may be slightly out of date, but 6 ranks of WC Potential and WC Efficiency is sufficient, you barely get anything more from maxing them.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Career Officer
# 6
01-09-2013, 06:51 PM
every little bit matters thats the same as saying why am i doing 87 dps when you're doing 100? Answer, energy control.