Captain
# 1 Omega Plasma Torpedoes... huh?
01-07-2013, 10:50 PM
So I'm having trouble figuring out the firing rate of Omega Plasma torpedoes. With a blue and two green projectile doffs, the thing seems to fire pretty frequently.

With a torpedo boat, do I really need to mount a second torpedo launcher?
Captain
# 2
01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Eh up to you, as multiple torpedos tend to conflict with each other a bit do to their shared timers....I usually find one torpedo launcher is sufficient.
Captain
# 3
01-07-2013, 11:20 PM
With the Omega Torpedo, the effect of projectile doffs is a fraction of a second if it works at all. You can pretty much fire a torpedo once a second with it or 6 seconds after a torpedo skill is used. If you are firing it once a second, then you will eventually run out until the torpedoes recharge. So to have a torpedo boat, you need to just have more than one torpedo launcher..
Lieutenant
# 4
01-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Omega Torp + Romulan Hyper torp + 3 purple torp doffs = Uber LuLZz You'll spam more torps then torp factory.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
01-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyuberdude View Post
Omega Torp + Romulan Hyper torp + 3 purple torp doffs = Uber LuLZz You'll spam more torps then torp factory.
Yeah, this is some crazy-sick damage output! I discovered it last week while playing around with my Breen ship weapon config. Just be sure to put the Omega Torp on the right end of your forward weapons. Otherwise it gains firing priority over the Romulan Torp when both are ready to fire.
Captain
# 6
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
That was what I was working toward. Just unlocked Omega, working on Romulan. Heh.

Trying out the torp boat thing on the Breen.
Career Officer
# 7
01-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyuberdude View Post
Except, no. The Omega Torp does not get any boost from Projectile Warfare Duty Officers.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
01-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresincebeta View Post
Except, no. The Omega Torp does not get any boost from Projectile Warfare Duty Officers.
The Omega Torp does not seem to have a global cooldown, which is why PWO's don't affect it. However, Omega Torps do trigger PWO's into lowering the Romulan Torpedo Launcher's cooldown timer when spam-fired. This is what leads into daisy-chained rom hyper-plasma torpedo streams.
Career Officer
# 9
01-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar487a View Post
The Omega Torp does not seem to have a global cooldown, which is why PWO's don't affect it. However, Omega Torps do trigger PWO's into lowering the Romulan Torpedo Launcher's cooldown timer when spam-fired.
Yeah... much better to use a Rom Torp + Mk XII Plasma torp if you have 3 PWOs slotted.

The Omega torp is really a good replacement for any ship that uses a single photon torp tube... it has a high rate of fire and is pretty good without any consoles/duty officers to use it. The Omega torp doesn't really play well with other torps though (cause it takes priority over them when shooting/GCD issues)
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
01-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresincebeta View Post
Yeah... much better to use a Rom Torp + Mk XII Plasma torp if you have 3 PWOs slotted.

The Omega torp is really a good replacement for any ship that uses a single photon torp tube... it has a high rate of fire and is pretty good without any consoles/duty officers to use it. The Omega torp doesn't really play well with other torps though (cause it takes priority over them when shooting/GCD issues)
You get around the Omega Torp's activation speed / priority by placing it on a forward right weapon slot, and the other torp forward left. I've been doing this to give my Romulan Hyper-plasma torp firing priority over the Omega Torp.