Survivor of Romulus
# 11
01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
no no it isn't....
Well there you are then. So we need a map where you can approach a star. I would bank on the ingenuity of the community coming through before we'd see cryptic add that map for us. So have at it guys!
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 12
01-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Hmm... My first thought was to set the range of a background star to be REALLY close... but the MINIMUM distance a BG star can be set to is 10k..... O_o;

I found a few BGs that look like they might be a stellar corona... But not for a typical star, these would only work for things like Betelgeuse that have an extended corona.

Supernova (several of them)
Trailer
Vorn
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
01-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Found out last night that that Planet - Class T 02 works well. It's quite glowy and orange on its own. Be interesting to experiment with and see what kind of effects you could do to it to play that up. Maybe some orange nebula clouds around it plus some intense background lights. Maybe some weather or FX objects as well.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Captain
# 14
01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
From the descriptions you guys are coming up with, not only might you be able to pull off something like Betelgeuse, but a Wolf-Rayet star might be within the realm of possibility, if you were able to get the cloud/fire effects to look right...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf-Rayet_Star
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
01-09-2013, 10:29 AM
That's a good type to shoot for. I think it could be doable with a combination of backdrops, nebula clouds, effects and maybe some other things. Plus using actual stellar phenomena is cool. Its always good to put some science in our fiction.
Rihannsu
# 16
01-09-2013, 01:34 PM
tiny clouds are definately doable. I tinkered with it and noticed that some of the "Y class" planets also made reasonable facsimiles of stars. Tiny dwarf stars, but stars. One fun idea I had was a system with two stars that are a bit too close to each other. Such as a: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_binary Or maybe a: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_envelope
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
I think I tried something like that ? a gas-bridge between two planets in this case ? as well in a possibly unreleased mission, I can't remember where, will have to look it up tonight. It did work but I had to be careful cause of the issue with stacking too many nebula clouds causing it to go blinding white and massive slowdown on older computers.
Captain
# 18
01-09-2013, 02:51 PM
I keep having this mental image of a nebula-sized Lindsay Lohan...
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-09-2013, 03:25 PM
I think best bet to not ruin eyeballs is to go for the red dwarf or blue type stars instead of good old yellow.
Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
Rihannsu
# 20
01-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Or maybe Neutron... Class X planets could pass as Neutron stars.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!