Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,394
# 31
01-10-2013, 01:42 PM
@ Shevet: Absolutely loved the entry, fantastic use of multi-species mythologies
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,491
# 32
01-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
@ Shevet: Absolutely loved the entry, fantastic use of multi-species mythologies
+1 - Very well done!
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 547
# 33
01-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Another props for Shevets right here. Loved the angle at which you approached the challenge as well as executed it. Me Gusta.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 146
# 34
01-10-2013, 07:16 PM
My entry was originally going to involve scared children, dead bodies, and the ship's bowling alley. Then I thought up something involving transporters (but not the personal transporter for your weapons similar to what someone else already did). The bowling alley may come up in a future challenge.

I've also found that a lot of my minor characters have bland, boring names, so I named a security officer after a college engineering professor. I can still remember him trying to force some sort of discipline on us (and free body diagrams).

I haven't thought about casting yet - I'll have to get back to you. The only immediate fit would be that Captain Carter could be played by the bald guy who was the captain of the Daedalus from Stargate Atlantis (no clue what his name is).
Survivor of Remus
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 331
# 35
01-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
The only immediate fit would be that Captain Carter could be played by the bald guy who was the captain of the Daedalus from Stargate Atlantis (no clue what his name is).
Sir Reginald Baldington Esq. Oh, no...Micheal Beach.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,394
# 36
01-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
My entry was originally going to involve scared children, dead bodies, and the ship's bowling alley. Then I thought up something involving transporters (but not the personal transporter for your weapons similar to what someone else already did). The bowling alley may come up in a future challenge.

I've also found that a lot of my minor characters have bland, boring names, so I named a security officer after a college engineering professor. I can still remember him trying to force some sort of discipline on us (and free body diagrams).

I haven't thought about casting yet - I'll have to get back to you. The only immediate fit would be that Captain Carter could be played by the bald guy who was the captain of the Daedalus from Stargate Atlantis (no clue what his name is).
Awesome entry, and nice set up for some serious intrigue and future shenanigans

I sometimes 'build names' from others I've seen or heard. S'rR's, for example, was originally my take on how a Pentaxian would write 'Sarris' (the bad guy in Galaxy Quest) When I decided that friends would call her Siri (after the software, of course) I decided that the pronunciation should be 'Cirrus' instead. Equally, Ryan Lambert was a character name I saw while flicking through a 'chick lit' book in a store, and thought sounded cool, I just modified it to Rynar to reflect his QuchHa Klingon heritage. Sometimes, I just combine names of people I know (which gave me Nicola Devereaux)... giving minor characters as much backstory (even if only you know it) keeps them from being 'minor' and boring
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,491
# 37
01-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Sometimes, I just combine names of people I know (which gave me Nicola Devereaux)... giving minor characters as much backstory (even if only you know it) keeps them from being 'minor' and boring
I've thought about this for my BOffs as well. I'm only dipping into the pool of ST fiction so naturally I'm focused on Kathryn, but I should start letting my crew get some story as well.

It looks like I have some research ahead of me

Although I wasn't too inspired by the topic I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone else's ideas!
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Survivor of Remus
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 331
# 38
01-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
I've thought about this for my BOffs as well. I'm only dipping into the pool of ST fiction so naturally I'm focused on Kathryn, but I should start letting my crew get some story as well.

It looks like I have some research ahead of me
I've found it helpful to think up two or three lines worth of backstory for Khas' BOffs. A sentence to describe their disposition, a sentence to describe how they relate to the Captain, and a sentence with a very vague background or some personal quirk. Make it the BOff's bio and you'll be able to keep track of it pretty easily. It gives you a good foundation to build from as you develop the characters.

Just as an example, I'll paraphrase Tarayl's bio:

Tarayl is Khas' scarred and cheerfully sociopathic unjoined Trill chief science officer. She respects Khas' dispassionate pragmatism and generally horrible outlook, while Khas find her tendency to try and weaponize the ship's auxiliary systems both valuable and amusing. Tarayl has some prior experience as a heavy weapons specialist.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,394
# 39
01-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
I've thought about this for my BOffs as well. I'm only dipping into the pool of ST fiction so naturally I'm focused on Kathryn, but I should start letting my crew get some story as well.

It looks like I have some research ahead of me

Although I wasn't too inspired by the topic I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone else's ideas!
Sometimes inspiration can strike from unlikely sources And likewise, my initial thought was "Nova Class ships don't have a deck thirteen..." That's what I like about these challenges, it makes me adapt rather than planning ahead
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,394
# 40
01-11-2013, 05:13 PM
I've made some changes, refined the dialogue, smoothed some elements, just tried to polish it some more and give it more depth, as it was when I originally wrote it before the laptop crashes required latenight re-writing... Any additional feedback would be gratefully received
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 AM.