Starfleet Veteran
# 31
01-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by init0 View Post
Yes, the companies that have dreams and plans that stay dreams and plans are the companies who's MMOs go free2play within a year after release (STO, SWTOR, POTBS etc.).

The companies that turn their dreams and plans into fun content are the ones that attract a stable and loyal player base and keep them for years (EVE Online, WOW, GW1, UO etc.).

Perhaps there is some sort of correlation between developer competence and success of the games they develop..? Who knows...
GW1 was subscription-free.

As for the two lists there's something that should be standing out; the games are from very different times. People accepted subscriptions fees back then more than now as there was a smaller choice. These days there are so many alternatives that mmo games need something to get people to try them and invest time (then money follows).

F2P is a system that works and pays so it makes business sense for games to adopt it. The reason they last for a year at subscription-based is either they have good intentions (SWTOR) or they had every intention of going F2P from the start and just tried to maximise initial income from subscriptions (The Secret World). The Secret World have an ingame shop to rival a F2P game at launch and sold lifetime subscriptions. Awesome game btw.

The only exception to the old mmo/new mmo trend is WoW but that now has free play up to level 20 along with so much legacy content that it's a special case. I can't think of any big mmo (other than EVE Online but I haven't looked into that much recently) that was created more than a few years ago that isn't F2P.
Starfleet Veteran
# 32
01-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I'll say the same thing here as I did about Risa. If you can get it on my schedule, I'll be more than happy to Taco it up a bit.
A possible solution is to make a summer event like the winter one. Swimming trunks instead of ski boots , for example. It'd be a lot of work but the winter wonderland was a huge success and there would be ways of monetising it if there was a new ship needing swimming races etc. It'd be a fun project to work on at least.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 33
01-11-2013, 09:02 AM
I think the most likely timeline that includes an Andoria revamp (or Risa, or DS9, or whatever else) is that there is a featured series, or similar amount of content/missions that take place there, and require it's reworking. I'm all for it, but I don't decide what we're doing on that scale.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Captain
# 34
01-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Quote:
I don't decide what we're doing on that scale.
Because you are an ensign.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 35
01-11-2013, 05:23 PM
And a redshirt at that. . .
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Commander
# 36
01-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Maybe instead of saying id like to do this and that but i cant because im not high enough up the chain of command you can maybe suggest ways the players can get noticed to get such things on the schedule. Just an idea.
Career Officer
# 37
01-11-2013, 06:06 PM
We shall organize a mail-in!

Everyone, get envelopes, stamps and some ice-cubes, and mail them to 980 University Avenue Los Gatos, CA 95032‎ - Express mail only, we want Andoria, not Azati Prime.
Reave
Empire Veteran
# 38
01-12-2013, 03:32 AM
Quote:
I think the most likely timeline that includes an Andoria revamp (or Risa, or DS9, or whatever else) is that there is a featured series, or similar amount of content/missions that take place there, and require it's reworking. I'm all for it, but I don't decide what we're doing on that scale.
Rura Penthe falls in there too... Compared to the Andoria, Risa, and DS9... For KDF it would probally be Rura Penthe and Boreth if I spelled it right could be some but honestly all you would need to do for Rura Penthe is have an entrance like academy has and then a bunch of contacts that hold all the prisoner missions and some random npcs that look like the doff prisoners and all is done LOL The Boreth would be something I would think like defera, nukara, new romulus type where you have fek'ihr to fight and have some eye blinding art of the original sword kahless used and such
Career Officer
# 39
01-12-2013, 03:34 AM
Can't we make a duel-leaderboard of some sort?
I wouldn't mind duelling once in a while, but there' just none there to fight with
Vice Admiral Kerayz of the Federation of Misfits.
Lieutenant
# 40
01-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Quote:
I'll say the same thing here as I did about Risa. If you can get it on my schedule, I'll be more than happy to Taco it up a bit.

Thanks Tacofangs

Now, how do we get it on yer schedule
Is there someone we should contact ?